Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people act "their color"?
Yes - Most poeple do act thier color. 20 44.44%
No - People are not predisposed at act any way because of their color 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Hey, I am black and I have played D&D before.

I guess we just messed up the status quo.
Yeah, sometimes I come home and turn on BET! But then I realize that I'm white and so I turn the station so I can watch reruns of Seinfeld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1962 View Post
If you had any teenage kids you'd already know the answer.
The white teenagers all act black- except for the pants around the knees thing. But then again Obama does not wear his pants baggy and showing his underwear either.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Talking to liberals about racial issues is a waste of time for people with a grasp on reality.

Darn, I was trying to come up with something erudite, and you summed it up in one sentence.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
i didnt think role playing and gaming was a white thing... i thought that was a nerd thing. dweebs. introverts. socailly awkward people. the fact that a lot fo gamers are white is secondary. im sure if you went to one of these things in places like LA, you might find blacks and browns among the whites. nerds come in all colors after all. as do lowlifes.

get real people. and how did this become a liberal/conservative issue? this fascination with or crush on or admiration of liberals is not healthy. let it go man. that has nothign to do with this.

if i beleived white people acted a certain way i would walk around expecting all of them to be southern white trash who go around without wearing undies and having babies while a teen (ala britney and her sister, or paris or whomever else). does that make sense?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
I acted black this morning. there was only enough milk for one bowl of cereal - so I added it a little water and shook it up and like magic enough for 2 bowls. I'm back to acting white now though. Well maybe not, because I came to work late, am now 20 minutes over my lunch hour, using the company computer for my personal use and plan on leaving early...so I guess I'll be black for the rest of the day.

Oh wait, I had a mocha frappuccino and a cheese pastry for lunch. That's kinda white right? Well no, cause I brought it with a gift card that I got for Christmas. Damn, I can't win for losing.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
I think people tend to notice extremes in cultures and groups of people when those cultures are very different from what they are used to seeing, or experiencing within their cultural group.

For instance:

All Texans have accents? True or False?

False, many don't have a heavy southern accent but when someone is making a parody of, or you picture in your mind a "typical" Texan, they have a heavy Texas accent wear blue jeans, denim shirt, cowboy boots and hat, big shiny belt buckle and have longhorn steer horns on the hood of their pickup truck, or white Cadillac. ~ Right?

That's a stereotype right? (I have seen latino, white and black texans who fit this description - so skin color is not relevant)

Well everyone in Texas doesn't look like that but it's a typical stereotype.

When you meet someone from a group who doesn't fit the "mold" of the group you have in your mind because of how you have experienced that "group" in the past, your stereotype has been challenged.

If you came across a group of black men who were 6'11" or taller, and they were wearing athletic sportswear, you'd probably assume they were all basketball players, instead of rocket scientists with PhD's coming from the gym, but that would be a stereotype wouldn't it.

If you came across a group of nerdy looking Asian guys (East Indians, Pakistanis, Koreans, take your pick) all wearing glasses, would you assume they were computer engineers?

People who stereotype forget one main thing, that people come in a variety of shades, sizes, and have all sorts of lifestyles and qualities which make them unique. When you generalize in order to simplify in your mind how to relate these people to the world around you, you are doing yourself a disservice because when you make your mind up about someone at first glance, you are always missing the bigger picture.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
no there is no such thing as acting your color. you act your socioeconomic/peer/surroundings status.

just like, there are no white, black, yellow, tan people. just different shades of green.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
no there is no such thing as acting your color. you act your socioeconomic/peer/surroundings status.
I tend to agree. The fact that you may see common behaviors among a certain group can just as easily be traced to their socio-economic status (i.e. class status, education) and surroundings (neigborhoods, schools, etc.).

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I tend to agree. The fact that you may see common behaviors among a certain group can just as easily be traced to their socio-economic status (i.e. class status, education) and surroundings (neigborhoods, schools, etc.).
Too true.. Ali G ?? Most of Sacha`s act is based on the way most kids, black and white [especially in bigger cities ] act over here...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
Just pull your damn pants up and change that 1 white XXX large t-shirt that you always wear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies