Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,533,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
horrible. but you know you can see slave trade any day on the streets of detroit or NO or memphis. people deal in flesh all the time in those cities. those who are sold are women and children and the cruel slave masters are often not white. don't believe me, ask CPS. fyi i am non white and no stranger to the streets.
To view your observation of people being on the streets either by choice or being forced to be there-most likely having to conduct dispicable acts for money or drugs is in actuality having to be a slave to something. Are not many of us a slave to something in our lives? Do these people have an alternative? A question to ponder over. Because of their life choices or choices made for them by others have they sold themselves or have they been sold by others into a slavery type environment. Is a woman who has been told she cannot work and must stay home to care for the house and wait on her husband a slave? Good analysis about the street concept.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It was wrong and a shame to ever happen but no one today was alive back then, People need to get on with their future instead of holding on to something they can do nothing about.
agreed.But my purpose of this thread was to have people understand to do look at the future and consider important things that binds us together not just divides us.

But on the confederate flag issue,there are white racist groups who to this day hold on to the past and have adopted the flag as the symbol.So when people say it is a flag of my southern pride get over it.....well.

Is this thread meant to make guilt?No,Is this thread meant to make blacks think they are owed something for the past?No

Do I think the confederate flag should be banned from government buildings?Yes

But what this thread I hope to show is people better not forget the past,look to the future yes without dwelling on it,and that your future family member could be in a photo like those no matter their race because humans will always exploit others given the right conditions no matter how "civilized they think things have become or how much "change" is upon us or how much we need to "reform" the Constitution for the "modern" times...........

and probably the most important amendment that prevents a person from becoming a slave is the right to own a weapon.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,533,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
agreed.But my purpose of this thread was to have people understand to do look at the future and consider important things that binds us together not just divides us.

But on the confederate flag issue,there are white racist groups who to this day hold on to the past and have adopted the flag as the symbol.So when people say it is a flag of my southern pride get over it.....well.

Is this thread meant to make guilt?No,Is this thread meant to make blacks think they are owed something for the past?No

Do I think the confederate flag should be banned from government buildings?Yes

But what this thread I hope to show is people better not forget the past,look to the future yes without dwelling on it,and that your future family member could be in a photo like those no matter their race because humans will always exploit others given the right conditions no matter how "civilized they think things have become or how much "change" is upon us or how much we need to "reform" the Constitution for the "modern" times...........
Good post and the barbaric ways of men still exist, so it is very important that we keep a watchful eye, because the right conditions are in full operation in many places in our world right now. The main ones are those who are innocent and without power-those would be the little ones (children) that we are not to harm, yet we do.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,734,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
things to remember.It wasn't just whites who practiced slavery.Arabic people often black in origion participated in it also.Exploiting others is a human condition that all are capable of.

Slavery dates back probably before written history,certainly back thousands of years.

And a point Im trying to make also is while we all have differences, and agendas we should not be willing to save our pet freedoms yet ready to ban others for people we don't agree with.That divides people,and gives people in power more power over everybodies lives ultimately and letting that go to the extreme can lead to slavery and genocide.
Youre right, but I was speaking in the context of the African slaves coming to America. Hebrews, Africans, Amerindians, lots of groups have been slaves at some point.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,936,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It was wrong and a shame to ever happen but no one today was alive back then, People need to get on with their future instead of holding on to something they can do nothing about.
I know that you are not saying that Black people should forget about their history...are you?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,292,319 times
Well, how a bout a comment from an ole white boy............My people were in in 1756 and the greatest shame of our country for all the ideals of the reformation and our revolution was that we didn't truly practice the concepts that all men are created equal...........Had we done that at the outset.........removed from bondage and accepted as equals our black brothers..........then this would have been a truly unique and noble experiment.................instead we bastardized the premise and have inflicted on 10 plus generations of BOTH sides of the equation a great and terrible shame....................A great war was fought over this issue of slavery........and yes I am well aware that historical revisionist prefer it to be over states rights................to have slaves.........But I can say emphatically, my great grand father did answer Lincolns first call for volunteers and he was one of the lousy bastards that took Atlanta and marched to the sea............and I know from writings passed down from him he was PROUD that he did his part to FREE THE SLAVES and END THE ABOMINATION...............

For anyone today to bemoan the loss of the south is to declare publicly they would still uphold slavery...................for that is what the south intended to preserve...........................Now let the last round of hustings begin fro the South will rise again crowd............

Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM

245 posts, read 1,167,839 times
seeing those pictures sends chills up my spine..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,120,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
These pictures remind me that this country was built on the horrendous, evil practice of enslaving people from a different country and forcing them to be our labor so that we could create what we have today. Anyone who sees America with only admiration is blind to the evils of our forefathers.
Which country DIDN'T have the practice of enslaving people? Some of the Arab nations still do it to this day and had been doing it for thousands of years. Tibet only made it illegal in 1950-something. Everyone, everywhere did it and was fine with it. How were Americans supposed to know slavery was wrong when everybody in the world thought it was right.
It was the evangelicals in England who first started making a stink about it and everyone thought they were crazy.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-15-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
I don't thnik thatany of thsoe peole are still alive. There are millions of americans who had their ancestors mistreated even straved to death. But they have indeed goten over it and moved on. Otherwsie they know they and their children would just suffer more and go nowhere.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,936,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Which country DIDN'T have the practice of enslaving people? Some of the Arab nations still do it to this day and had been doing it for thousands of years. Tibet only made it illegal in 1950-something. Everyone, everywhere did it and was fine with it. How were Americans supposed to know slavery was wrong when everybody in the world thought it was right.
It was the evangelicals in England who first started making a stink about it and everyone thought they were crazy.
The difference is that America had a United States Constitution which guaranteed freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people, but did not extend those same freedoms to its own Black citizens.

Last edited by dorado0359; 07-16-2008 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies