Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

so what is the answer? how about driving less and "conserving" on gas. see, being conservative is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The conservative cry we hear everyday is this: America has billions of barrels of oil off our coast and in the mountain states but the Democrats do not want us to have it. Aside from the fact that is a LIE (it was actually Bush 1 that signed the order banning off shore drilling but like always Republicans never let the FACTS get in the way of politics), I have not heard any oil company say anything like "oh yes! we got our ships parked out there now just waiting for the green light to drop the drill bit in the ocean"!
The FACT is that they have not even drilled in the areas that ARE now open to them. The fact is that the big oil companies do not seem to be licking their chops to drop anchor off the coast. But let us say that they are for the sake of examining the conservative cry.
The conservative battle cry is "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less". So they are assuming that we here in the USA will harvest this oil, refine it and sell it cheap right here, right? No, what they will do is to sell the oil on the world market for the highest price that they can get for it. Which means that most of it will end up in China and Japan! And we will still be paying roughly what we are paying now. And our beaches will be fouled with oil clumps on top of that.
So I propose this- let's give in to the conservative cry. Let's say "OK oil companies, go and drill" BUT here is the deal- EVERY drop of oil you get off the shores will NOT be sold on the world market. It will be refined and sold ONLY in the USA and nowhere else. After all, it is "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" and not "Drill Here, Drill Now and Sell It To China", right? So let them drill and let's see if the conservatives REALLY want to help Americans. Not likely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Your freedom ends at your front door. Public policy and the good of the country as a whole must take precedence over precieved "freedoms" that in fact do not even exist within the legal frame work of the country. But you are certainly free to add them to the Constitutuion if you so desire!

Amendment: The American people have a right to drive huge SUVs and trucks no matter how much they pollute the air and use up natural resources and increase our ass kissing of Arab oil shieks and get our soldiers killed fighting for the cheap gas that we are entitled to by birthright.

So if you want to add that, go for it. Until it is there you are part of a country of 300 million other people using roads that ALL of us pay for. It is not always about ME ME ME.
But Kev what happened to don't drill off our shores and our beaches? That oil would benefit the nation as a whole. I agree with you 100% we need to invest in the future and that includes seeking out alternative fuels. We also need to start drilling for more of our own oil. We depend way to much on arab oil. By all means tax the oil companies and mandate that said money is strictly for research and developement of fuels..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we should have drilled up in alaska 8 yrs ago (anwar)

also we should be building nuclear plants,,,

why depend on the rest of the world,,,to determine our economy...when we have plenty of resources in our own country

Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so what is the answer? how about driving less and "conserving" on gas. see, being conservative is a good idea.

My S-10 4 cyl 5 speed has been parked since May.

My 1975 Chevy dually has been parked since Sept 07 and it's only used to pull the horses when need be.

Our classic79 Camaro has not been driven since Sept 07 either,and we had it since 88 from orig lady owner and never seen roadsalt in it's life.

I only mowed my grass three times since spring as gas is about 20.00 a 5 gallon jug.

I decided to only mow the ''yard'',and have not bush hogged the farm this year and just let the horses hide out in the brush as 5 gallons is only a start on it.

The kids have only rode their ATV's on the farm twice since spring as gas is about 20.00 a jug.

We are only worring about gas in the family car ( 2000 Cougar small 2.5 V-6 ), and only driving it as gas is beyond reason.

Our home A/C has not been used untill two weeks ago do to energy costs.

Do we count as trying to conserve ? I hope so as I don't know what else we can do.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-18-2008 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM

140 posts, read 562,859 times
Using more oil definitely does not promote sustainability in the country.
The oil will drill for will absolutely be sold to other countries, I would place a major bet on that.
We should be looking to cleaner alternatives. Other countries have all ready joined in, Norway, Sweden, France, for example, and their economies are still in tact and prospering.
Using more oil will just eradicate the problem.
What kind of world are my children and grandchildren going to live in?
Hopefully not one where we are not only being puppeted by Arab Oil Companies.
But one where we will be puppeted by our own.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually what hurt the rail industry was the deregulation of competeing industries. Every other modern nation on earth takes advantage of their rail systems and with great success. A coast to coast maglev train would be a boon for the nationMore maglevs throughout the country would certainly help to ease our need of driving everywhere we go. The biggest failure of amtrack is its dated technology and slow azz trains.
Freight trains that could move massive tonage would be a big help also. Investing money to modernize and streamline our rail systems would be a step in the right direction to ease our growing dependence on oil.
500 billion a year to foreign countries. How nice it would be if we could keep even half that here.
If there is a market for a large scale commuter train system, then private companies would build one. Amtrac isa collossal failure and would die if it were not propped up by tax payers money!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 AM

210 posts, read 671,569 times
Quote:
I would start by banning monster SUVs and trucks. Any non commercial vehicle under 22 mpg
A few questions on this brilliant idea:

1. Where are we getting the money to replace the cars that would be banned? At $25-30K for a decent car for a family who is paying for my new car?

2. If we dump millions of cars, landfills will be jammed with ecological waste like plastics and fluids from the huge sudden influx of the old cars, how do we clean up the environment?

Instead of an all-out ban, how about a tax incentive for replacing your car? The majority of old and inefficient cars are owned by those who can not afford a new car?

Here are the rules:
1. The car being replaced must be yours for at least one year before replacement. This stops rich guys from buying junkers and using them for the rebate.
2. The new car must meet or beat the existing CAFE standards
3. $2500 for cars built abroad, $3500 for cars built in the US. That means you can buy a Camry built in the US and get the higher incentive, but not a rebadged "American car" built in Germany.. that would get the $2500 tax break.

This would encourage automakers to build here and employee Americans. It would also boost the car industry which can really need it!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
If there is a market for a large scale commuter train system, then private companies would build one. Amtrac isa collossal failure and would die if it were not propped up by tax payers money!
The market has always been there. Amtrac is a failure becuase it is not modernized,and because it is semi-unique its over priced.
We have allowed our rail systems to degrade to the point of needing to be completely rebuilt. Our system is less efficient than our European counterparts because we look at it as optional. No effort is put into streamlining and improvement.
Its not just commuter trains that we need. We need a robust freight train system. We move freight with trucks. That is equivelent to moving over seas cargo by tugboat.
Then the american culture and its love affair with owning cars. Yes I am guilty of this too. We prefer to drive everywhere we go. But if gas hits $8.00 a gallon what then? We have no viable options and this is what makes the situation so dire. We either drive, or take a bus. Not much of an option.
To fly from scranton Pa to NYC costs about $500.00 round trip. Flying is not an option....

Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
I wonder how many of you have turned off your CAC and AC or ever had your heat at 65 or below in the winter and worn coats or warm thermals around the house?

I bet a very few have. People don't know how to conserve. AC/AC everywhere I go AC is running running.....making it colder indoors than people let it be in the winter.

A lot of people can't get rid of their SUV's YET....but I bet 100% who are paying them off for the last 5 years would like to. I bet as soon as everyone's SUV is paid off they are going to take the plates off and leave them parked and go out and get smaller vehicles with their new payment coupons. People dont want to own their SUV's anymore....but they can't sell them or turn them in. That will change....

but ask people to not put on their AC when the heat hits a measley 80 or not to turn up their heat when it finally gets a little cold out.....

hahahaah. They don't and they won't....and CAC is the number one important thing in RE sales.

People will have to change their habits real soon.

My job depends on driving. Driving to show people houses and apartments. I'm not showing as many as I used to unless people can prove to me that they have really good credit and can afford the places they are looking at. If I dont get in the car and drive, I don't have the possibility of making any money. Lots of jobs are based on driving.... I can't take a train or a bus to show someone an apartment or house. A delivery truck can't take a train or bus to deliver goods to a store.

Driving less....as in stop driving your kids around to their friends houses and teaching them what a bicycle is. Not driving to the beach because it's too expensive to drive to the shore when it takes a quarter tank there and back. Not driving to the mall, to the movies, to the restaurants.....hey, this will be happening too soon.....

and then the restaurants will close and the stores will close and the movie theaters will close.....

we have yet to see what is going to happen. This winter will be the test.
I got an oil delivery last week to my home. $4.99.9 It's only July. What will it be like in October and next February?

New York will become a ghost town. All that property you can buy in Florida real cheap now might just become a hot commodity when people from up north can't afford to stay warm.

Life is going to change very soon......

Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,338 times
Default crazy town

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
aww. you don't like it when people call BS on the cult of global warming? I know you hate liberty and productivity because economic freedom limits the control you have over others and it cuts into your profits that only a government monopoly can offer. I know that you don't give a damn about that environment or starving people in Africa. I know you hate the human race. I know that you are soley supporting this falsehood based on lies, deception, and faux science because you are an evil person that wants to make people slaves to the establishment. Guess what though. People are waking up and you will not succeed. Patriots like me are all around. There is a day of reckoning on it's way where the patriots will rise and take this country back from illuminati satanists like yourself who have conspired to make slaves out of the masses.
Wow. That makes so little sense I barely know how to respond. Well you go ahead and be a patriot and go on your crusade against all us "evil people." But before you know it, you'll look around you and realize that the rest of the world has left you behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies