Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Everyone, including government, goes to much length (ton $$$ too) to fight Terrorism. However, the chance of getting by a terror attack is so less. A lot people did die (3000) due 9/11 and it was horrible incident no doubt. However, 100s of Americans die every due other causes, which don't get that much attention at all for some reason. I guess people thinks its so common for people die due these cause that they just don't care.

However, there is about 42,000 people killed each year due car accidents. People definitely can avoid those. Probably just stop all drunk drivers you and see probably atleast 5k Americans saved each year. Of course not much effort is put in there compared to catching terrorists, after people always moan and groan about traffic cops.

There is nice 18k Homicide rate each year. The police seem over worked and can't catch all the murders out there. I bet if can find some stats, you will be more likely killed by an angry spouse/lover than a terrorist! Another area where people don't seem mind the high rate of death. Of course I bet people will say there always will be crime ...

Also, there about 30k suicide each year. Again not so much of big deal at all there either.

There tons of other leading causes of death (like potential doctor error). Millions of American did due medical reason, often/most some are not curable. I and any other American are more likely die of these than a terrorist attack. Yet people & government insist on focus on the great terrorist threat and spends ton of money on it. If money and effort was spent into other area thousand of American could saved easily. A whole a lot than spending all the effort fighting terrorism. However, doubt anyone (or the Government) will want do that.

Have look at here http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf and here Death Statistics Tables. Or just search online and you will about similar numbers as I do.
What in the world do you people smoke on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
are you a terrorist lover or something? hopefully, nobody from your family will be affected by the next terrorist strike.
Are you serious? It's interesting how many people resort to calling others "terrorist lovers", "terrorist supporters", "siding w/the terrorists", etc. when they call out the obsession the government has on terrorism. I cannot stand that damn word, it's been the most overused word since 9/11. The OP is simply & rightfully pointing out the mass amounts of time, energy & money that has gone into the cause of fighting terrorism while conveniently overlooking & ignoring the problems that are going on right here at home. The government has used terrorism as a means of distraction & as a fear tactic. I have since refused to buy into it. I know that there will always be a threat, however I don't live my life according to it & I am tired of politicians focusing on it.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
The funny thing is that polls show the ones most obssessed with terrorism live in the armpit of Kansas or somewhere.

They are probably safe from Bin Laden and his hordes.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Are you serious? It's interesting how many people resort to calling others "terrorist lovers", "terrorist supporters", "siding w/the terrorists", etc. when they call out the obsession the government has on terrorism. I cannot stand that damn word, it's been the most overused word since 9/11. The OP is simply & rightfully pointing out the mass amounts of time, energy & money that has gone into the cause of fighting terrorism while conveniently overlooking & ignoring the problems that are going on right here at home. The government has used terrorism as a means of distraction & as a fear tactic. I have since refused to buy into it. I know that there will always be a threat, however I don't live my life according to it & I am tired of politicians focusing on it.
if you agree with op then please tell me how the heck the government can fight drunk driving and the other things he mentioned. if they hired cops whose job was to pull people over and give them tests you guys would complain about that too. it is a no win situation with most of you. you probably complain about extra security at airports too don't you? i don't. i like that they are trying to keep me safe. you guys keep complaining though.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
if you agree with op then please tell me how the heck the government can fight drunk driving and the other things he mentioned. if they hired cops whose job was to pull people over and give them tests you guys would complain about that too. it is a no win situation with most of you. you probably complain about extra security at airports too don't you? i don't. i like that they are trying to keep me safe. you guys keep complaining though.
That's funny, did I mention anything about complaining about extra security at airports? No, no I didn't so refrain from TRYING to put words in my mouth, you're not succeeding. I for one don't care about extra security & longer waits. Nope, just because I don't agree w/the terrorist obsession doesn't mean I want to be on a plane that falls from the sky. Get real dude, your accusations are pathetic.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Think of the name "World Trade Center"

I don't think it's quiet understood how much 9/11 has effected us and the rest of the world.

CCC - The Economic Costs of 9/11

Read that then let's talk.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM

673 posts, read 3,090,892 times
Quote:
are you a terrorist lover or something? hopefully, nobody from your family will be affected by the next terrorist strike.
I said nothing about liking terrorists. Go shoot terrorists dead, ok by me.

I was stating the FACT that chance of getting killed by them is very low. My family members are more likely to die of disease, 2 millon americans die of that every year. Yet these go totally under the radar.

Last edited by unseengundam; 07-18-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
i am not complaining about in fact I support more security.

To stop drunk drivers you can put police at all bars. Make sure no drunks get in to cars. Of this will cost money and annoy people. No one supports something like this, yet all about security and money to fight terrorism.

All I am asking is simple thing, realize there other treats greater than terrorism and treat treats according to the death rate. But for everyone that seems too hard to realize.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
What in the world do you people smoke on this board.
I am stating facts from goverment site. It serms you are one who is ignoring real world facts!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
i am not complaining about in fact I support more security.

To stop drunk drivers you can put police at all bars. Make sure no drunks get in to cars. Of this will cost money and annoy people. No one supports something like this, yet all about security and money to fight terrorism.

All I am asking is simple thing, realize there other treats greater than terrorism and treat treats according to the death rate. But for everyone that seems too hard to realize.
how are you going to stop drunk driving by doing that? what about parties at homes and such? there is no way to STOP these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies