Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

With all this talk of 55, while it would help save fuel there is no way it would work in our microwave oven society. That said, how about enforcing the already posted speed limits? If the speed limit is 65, most people are doing 80-85 as it is now. Unless there is a traffic jam, traffic on the expressways flow at such a rate that its DANGEROUS to do the speed limit because everybody else is going so much faster. Much fuel would be saved by slowing down the expressways to the posted speed limits, usually 60-65 in urban areas and 70 in rural areas. Anybody agree or are the current speed limits too slow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
I'm in agreement with you. I'd rather get where I'm going in one piece and late than not at all.

People driving fast are not just wasteful in their gasoline consumption, but dangerous to other drivers on the road.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
regardless of how much you enforce the speeding limit, you don't have enough man power to ticket even a fraction of people that 'speed'. its pure math. i'll take my chances.

that said, what should be enforced is strict lane discipline. left lane to pass, otherwise right. i see too many people just cruising in the left lane taking their jolly old time.

unless you are taking about installing a dense network of speed cameras that will shoot anyone breaking the speed limit. that's my greatest fear, not police/manned speed traps.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
unless you are taking about installing a dense network of speed cameras that will shoot anyone breaking the speed limit. that's my greatest fear, not police/manned speed traps.
They have this in Europe, why not in the urban areas of the US? There is no reason people need to drive 85 mph on urban freeways when it isn't even saving them that much time and its guzzling the gas. Most people's gas mileage starts to decrease slightly above 55, and then decreases DRAMATICALLY above 70.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
High speeds on highways are dangerous because if something goes awry there is insufficient time for corrective action. Disaster guaranteed.

I live on a residential street with a speed limit of 25. It's dangerous too. Most traffic is moving at least 35 or 40 MPH and some I would say 50 or more. This speeding is extremely dangerous for pedestrians, bicycles, squirrels, and I've even seen squashed birds.

What's up with people that their butts are on fire every time they get behind the wheel? Highway or residential, they push their speeds beyond the limit of safety. Drivers seem to see speed limits as an impediment to their own personal progress.

No one obeys the speed limit anywhere. Doesn't matter what the limit is. If it was 110 they'd do 120. People lose all sense of responsibility in their cars.

I quit driving. Had a Class A commercial drivers license for years. Used to be a card holding Teamster. It's just too scary any more. No more driving for me. I'm done.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
I'm worried about bchris02 fiddling with the microwave while streaking down Route 66.

What, you need popcorn while driving?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
With all this talk of 55, while it would help save fuel there is no way it would work in our microwave oven society. That said, how about enforcing the already posted speed limits? If the speed limit is 65, most people are doing 80-85 as it is now. Unless there is a traffic jam, traffic on the expressways flow at such a rate that its DANGEROUS to do the speed limit because everybody else is going so much faster. Much fuel would be saved by slowing down the expressways to the posted speed limits, usually 60-65 in urban areas and 70 in rural areas. Anybody agree or are the current speed limits too slow?
I fully agree but there are still some unreasonable speed limits (such as the 50 mph limit on I-20 westbound from downtown Atlanta where it is 70 just a few miles down the road).
Get rid of all unreasonable limits and have 100% enforcement using special speed cameras that would photo every speeding car and send the owner a $300 ticket which would have to be paid before his tags would be renewed.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
They have this in Europe, why not in the urban areas of the US? There is no reason people need to drive 85 mph on urban freeways when it isn't even saving them that much time and its guzzling the gas. Most people's gas mileage starts to decrease slightly above 55, and then decreases DRAMATICALLY above 70.
yeah they have this in europe and i hate it. germany cutting the amount of unlimited autobahns also is a sad thing.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
regardless of how much you enforce the speeding limit, you don't have enough man power to ticket even a fraction of people that 'speed'. its pure math. i'll take my chances.

that said, what should be enforced is strict lane discipline. left lane to pass, otherwise right. i see too many people just cruising in the left lane taking their jolly old time.

If they use cameras, they can cite virtually 100% of speeders. They do this in other countries and are very sucessful with them. I am 100% for them- like I said- as long as the posted limit is reasonable. If you are driving faster than 70, you should get a ticket.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I fully agree but there are still some unreasonable speed limits (such as the 50 mph limit on I-20 westbound from downtown Atlanta where it is 70 just a few miles down the road).
Get rid of all unreasonable limits and have 100% enforcement using special speed cameras that would photo every speeding car and send the owner a $300 ticket which would have to be paid before his tags would be renewed.
yes, more big brother, just what the country needs. more cameras, more wiretaps (thanks w. and the impotent dem congress), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies