Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how much should teachers make
teachers are underpaid 73 57.03%
teachers are overpaid 18 14.06%
teachers make what they should make 37 28.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times

Advertisements

well first of all, I don't have any children, but how in the hell is that shallow and self centered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
That is extremely shallow and self-centered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
The amount of vacation time the average teacher has per year is about 4 months total, when you factor in summer break, winter break, and spring break. A teacher making $45k for 8 months of work is equal to a person in a different job making ~$67k for a year's worth of work, with a more "normal" vacation allotment like, say, 2 weeks.

$67k/year would probably be considered by most people to be a pretty good salary, especially for someone who only needs to obtain an undergraduate degree in order to hold the position. If you look at teachers' salaries in this perspective, it becomes more obvious (to me, at least) that teachers make a good living, when you consider all the time off they have.
I concur.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:42 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Yes during those 8 months they usually have to work many hours after school let's out. I know some that during those months easily work enough to come close to the 960 hours for the 4 months they are off.

It's also relative. I someone say they do in jeresey...isn't the cost of living much more there also?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
I think their 1 hour paid lunch and "free" period more than make up for the extra hours after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
yes during those 8 months they usually have to work many hours after school let's out. I know some that during those months easily work enough to come close to 960 hours for the 4 months they are off.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:45 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well first of all, I don't have any children, but how in the hell is that shallow and self centered?
I don't think it is self-centered at all. There are a lot of factors when choosing public or private institutions. How good is your current district? How much can you afford for private school? Are you religious? Do you want your kids potentially exposed to drugs? My cousins were exposed to drug users in middle school. The closest I ever got was exposure to pot in high school. They went to public school, I went to private school. I think I got a better education than they did and I feel like I am a more disciplined and respectful person than they are. Part of that also has to do with my parents. They sent me to private school because they wanted me to have a good, structured education and they were very involved in everything I did. There are many factors when choosing what type of school to send your kids to, it's not clear cut and I don't think people should be judged when they choose a certain type of school.

I do have one caveat to the above, though. I'm a little freaked out by homeschoolers. I think that in order to give a child proper education one should have a college degree and a license to teach, not just a stay at home mom who graduated from high school, got married right away, and started popping out the babies. Has anyone here seen Jesus Camp? It's very creepy and all of the little Evangelicals in it are homeschooled. At one point, the mom is teaching her two sons and they have to watch a movie entitled "Jurassic Ark" which is about creationism and then the mom says, "And what does science prove?" and the older boy says, "Science proves nothing." Those types of people give me the willies.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,260 times
On another note, when I was deciding what career I'd like to have, so that I could choose an undergrad degree, I contemplated teaching...for about 5 minutes. Once I realized how little most teachers make (I'd rather work full-time and get paid more, than have 4 months off per year and get paid 2/3 as much), I decided on a more profitable career and went with engineering.

On that same note, there are probably a lot of people who've done what I did. I would've made a good teacher, but the vacation time wasn't worth the lower salary, so I chose not to become a teacher. I imagine there are probably many people who would make really good teachers, who ultimately choose other professions because they'd rather make more money. Using this information, one could logically assume that a good portion of people who become teachers, do so because they really want to teach, regardless of the pay. This may translate to a better crop of teachers who teach for the love of teaching.

You'd think this would be the case, but it still seems that there are a lot of lousy teachers out there who don't care all that much about actually teaching anything.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,308 times
Quote:
Because you're saying that since it wouldn't affect you, it doesn't matter.

A lot of people don't have the option of choosing private schools.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
I think their 1 hour paid lunch and "free" period more than make up for the extra hours after work.
Kids start @ 7:30 am and get out @ 3:30.......they get home around 7/8 for two hours almost every night they catch up at home after 7/8 p.m.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They're not underpaid in NJ.
I agree with you on NJ teachers. They will start around $45K after college and could make up to $90K after 20-25 years in the district with still a free benefits from the state. And the most important after 3 years in the school district and getting tenure NJEA (New Jersey Education Association) #1 union in NJ will be always lobbying in Trenton for the members.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Kids start @ 7:30 am and get out @ 3:30.......they get home around 7/8 for two hours almost every night they catch up at home after 7/8 p.m.
And additionally teachers have to get there before kids and leave after for preparation and cleanup.

Plus during lunch and recess they have to supervise the kids, duh (aimed at the guy you quoted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies