U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support March 29th as "Vietnam Veterans Day."
No 9 40.91%
Yes 3 13.64%
Yes, And I'll contact my Members of Congress 6 27.27%
Not Sure 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 AM

3,297 posts, read 5,630,042 times

Advertisements

Democrat and Republican Members of Congress are already supporting this Congressional RESOLUTION HRES 1231 IH.
Please contact your members of Congress to find out if they are supporting it. (Contact information is below)

Now is the time for everyone to put their key boards, cell phones, home phones, etc to work and urge every Member of Congress from every state to pass this bill in the United States Congress. It will finally make March 29th "Vietnam Veterans Day."
Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net
Contact Dann at (931) 788-2919

Whereas the Vietnam War was the longest military conflict in United States history; (Introduced in House)

HRES 1231 IH

110th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. RES. 1231
Supporting the goals and ideals of Vietnam Veterans Day and calling on the American people to recognize such a day.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 22, 2008
Mr. SHULER (for himself, Mr. JONES of North Carolina, Ms. MCCOLLUM of Minnesota, Mr. SESTAK, Mr. ROHRABACHER, Ms. SHEA-PORTER, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. DREIER, Ms. BORDALLO, Ms. CORRINE BROWN of Florida, Mr. FILNER, Mr. YOUNG of Alaska, and Mr. WALZ of Minnesota) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Veterans' Affairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESOLUTION
Supporting the goals and ideals of Vietnam Veterans Day and calling on the American people to recognize such a day.

Whereas the Vietnam War was the longest military conflict in United States history;

Whereas more than 3,000,000 Americans served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War;

Whereas more than 58,000 Americans lost their lives defending the Nation's freedom during the Vietnam conflict;

Whereas 304,000 additional Americans were wounded during the war;

Whereas on March 29, 1973, the last remaining members of the United States Armed Forces withdrew from Vietnam; and

Whereas the United States does not have a national day of recognition specifically for Vietnam veterans: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) supports the goals and ideals of Vietnam Veterans Day; and

(2) calls on the American people to recognize such a day to remember those men and women who sacrificed their lives defending the Nation in the Vietnam conflict, to recognize the prisoners of war and those members of the Armed Forces who are missing in action, and to honor all Vietnam veterans who served the Nation faithfully to protect its freedom.

Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net
Contact Dann at (931) 788-2919

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND ASK THEM TO SUPPORT HRES 1231 IH

Click here to: EMAIL, CALL, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMEN Write Your Representative - Contact your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Click here to: EMAIL, CALL, WRITE YOUR SENATORS U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Please sign our 'new' petition and add your comments at: Vietnam Veterans Day, March 29th Petition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 AM

231 posts, read 128,569 times
Signed!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
Signed!
Thank you!!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM

2,914 posts, read 4,257,687 times
#6 on your petition. Thanks for your service!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,982,738 times
I put not sure. I think the Vietnam vets got a really raw deal and deserve some recognition. But I can see it as being another excuse to wave a flag and justify more war - that I disagree with.

They need recognition, not to be use as some PR/advertising campaign...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM

3,454 posts, read 6,597,568 times
I feel mostly the same way as cleatis, except I'm a big fan of waving flags and don't think this would justify more war.

I just feel like we have a million "holidays" for a million different reasons, and it cheapens the concept of a holiday to me. And we already have a Veteran's Day that we all acknowledge and fully includes Vietnam Vets.

Of course they got a raw deal, and that should be (and I believe is being) reversed by giving Vietnam Vets the admiration they certainly deserve.

And proudcap, as the spouse of a former Marine myself, I thank you, along with all our fine military, for your service.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 AM

20,926 posts, read 39,249,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I put not sure. I think the Vietnam vets got a really raw deal and deserve some recognition. But I can see it as being another excuse to wave a flag and justify more war - that I disagree with.

They need recognition, not to be use as some PR/advertising campaign...
They need more recognition, for damned sure. Their service was awesome, their bravery amazing.

Don't want any more national holidays. We have Memorial Day for those who lost their lives and we have Veterans Day for all who served, and that seems more than enough. We need to make Vietnam service more prominent in our ceremonies as the WW-2 generation increasingly belongs to the ages.

IMO, our holidays have become a perverted excuse used by many people to take quick trips with a primary focus on getting drunk and getting laid. Our holidays are further diminished by our wonderful retail sector who flood the airways & papers with even more "sale" ads. Yuck. Consumerism sucks and so do the people that shove it down our throats (maybe someone will start a thread on that issue?).

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I feel mostly the same way as cleatis, except I'm a big fan of waving flags and don't think this would justify more war.

I just feel like we have a million "holidays" for a million different reasons, and it cheapens the concept of a holiday to me. And we already have a Veteran's Day that we all acknowledge and fully includes Vietnam Vets.

Of course they got a raw deal, and that should be (and I believe is being) reversed by giving Vietnam Vets the admiration they certainly deserve.

And proudcap, as the spouse of a former Marine myself, I thank you, along with all our fine military, for your service.
Thank you!!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,935,723 times
As a Vietnam combat veteran (1/28th Infantry, First Infantry Division, RVN 1967-68), I feel that Veterans Day is sufficient recognition of those who have served.

However, I think we need to turn our attention and direct our support -- regardless of our political views -- to the thousands of young men and women currently in harm's way on our behalf in Iraq and Afghanistan, and to their families and loved ones.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:17 PM

17,889 posts, read 19,857,500 times
Isn't the Vietnam war remembered in Memorial Day? I thought the whole point of Memorial Day was for the Vietnam war...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or