Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: did katrina help new orleans
yes, based on crime statistics, katrina heled the city of NO 6 17.65%
no, it was horrible and it didn't help the city 25 73.53%
other, please post 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
in fact, I think they would be more under the microscope.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. After the storm, the New Orleans PD and DA's office suffered a series of scandals, including an incident where the suspect in a shooting of an NOPD officer hid for a while in the DA's own house (he was a friend of the DA's girlfriend or some such thing).

The local court system is an absolute mess, and people still get away with murder due to raw prosecutorial incompetence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
I know a guy who was the SAC (special agent in charge) of the FBI there and he resigned when he saw the way it was down there. hopefully jindal is as good as some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. After the storm, the New Orleans PD and DA's office suffered a series of scandals, including an incident where the suspect in a shooting of an NOPD officer hid for a while in the DA's own house (he was a friend of the DA's girlfriend or some such thing).

The local court system is an absolute mess, and people still get away with murder due to raw prosecutorial incompetence.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you mean like the murder rate in houston?
Aye, maybe. I personally would be interested to see if there is a correlation. Texas took in quite a bit of people from that and many stayed rather than going back. I wonder how many were crime oriented people and if it had any relation to crime increases.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 PM

poverty breeds crime. the poorest people were displaced, and therefore, I would venture that they brought a lot of crime with them. I look at some of the things that have happened recently, like people complaining about rations they never received. I mean, are we not going on three years now? when the hell are they going to get it together and realize that life isn't a free ride.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
poverty breeds crime. the poorest people were displaced, and therefore, I would venture that they brought a lot of crime with them. I look at some of the things that have happened recently, like people complaining about rations they never received. I mean, are we not going on three years now? when the hell are they going to get it together and realize that life isn't a free ride.
Good question, but then some would rather work very hard to get things for free while others work very hard to earn it themselves. It makes no sense.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
now other cities have those criminals. its not like they all died in the floods

Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
new orleans is a notorious crime city, and crime is decreasing. I also heard that jindal has played a good part in the renewal of the city.

Gov Jindal seems to be fantastic . I have heard great things from ALL groups in New Orleans . However he is dealing with easily the worse Dem Mayor that has ever walked the earth the most inept human being in politics.
Yes Mayor Nagin and a GVNR can only do so much for a city when the Mayor is truly useless .
The worse Dems are found in New Orleans and the worse Reps here in South Florida IMO.
New Orleans will only recover so far while Nagin is running things .

Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM

they had the opportunity to vote nagin out, but they didn't. I grew up in DC. our mayor got caught on camera, smoking crack, with a hooker, and got reelected. he is beloved in the city. it's freaking pathetic.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Hey man. If you've got something to say, why don't you just say it?
i will take that as an invitation to speak.
jessie jackson has already spoken in detail on what he thinks is goin on in NO and what needs to happen. now, if the former aide to martin luther king, gets shouted down and name called, what will they do to me? i'm not even a member of the club.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
I just had this conversation with a guy who used to DJ for me who left NOLA days before the hurricane. And at the barbershop last week, and at the car wash days later.
It seems that those with the desire (and willingness to do the required work) to do better - did better. NOLA was already pretty messed-up during the good times. Their problems were just exasperated in the bad. I think that the situation exposed a flaw in the Government's practice if cultivating dependency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies