Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times

Advertisements

Apparently his Mesa Power LLP has a little wind turbine project going on in Texas, which might help explain some of his boosting wind power. Not negating the need for alternative solutions, but perhaps solar and/or geothermal might fit as some of our solutions too:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil investor T. Boone Pickens' Mesa Power LLP said on Thursday it ordered 667 wind turbines from General Electric Co as part of the $2 billion first phase of a planned Texas wind farm.

The four-phase Pampa Wind Project would be the world's largest wind energy generator, with more than 4,000 megawatts of electricity, enough for 1.3 million homes, when completed in 2014, Mesa said.

Pickens' Mesa Power orders GE wind turbines | Quotes | Company News | Reuters

Former Texas Oilman Pursues World' s Largest Wind Farm

Environmental Capital - WSJ.com : Blade Runner: Investment Surges in Wind-Power Transmission Lines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
I don't understand the title of the thread, what's the ulterior motive? He wants to make money? That's not a problem to me, I want these guys to make money, the more they make, the more they will want to invest, and the more possiblities for renewable energy we will have. I don't see any problem with this guy or anyone else getting rich(er) off of wind, solar, or anything else that will lead us to long-term energy independence.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
He has been marketing himself as an oil-man, however he had this financially planned for some time now. Even had the financing and production established before the media splash.

Just want to ensure folks understand the "whole story".

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
We need someone to do the big spend if alternative energy is ever going to work.

Coal and oil companies claim they're trying, but they'd be crazy to. After the initial capital expenditure, they'd be kicking the operational expenditure stool out from under themselves, because there'd be no coal or oil to sell.

The gov't's not going to put up the cash, either. In spite of the billions and billions we give oil companies in subsidies, we've never been willing to give alternative energy more than a percentage of that.

So good on him. Sure, there's an ulterior motive: money. What's wrong with that? Sometimes one kind of green can mean making a little of the other kind of green. I'm all about win-win.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
He has been marketing himself as an oil-man, however he had this financially planned for some time now. Even had the financing and production established before the media splash.

Just want to ensure folks understand the "whole story".
I understand the whole story, and I fail to see your point...??? The man is a long time oil man who knows the future is in other resources, so he is going in another direction. Good for him. We need a lot of enterprising people like him to invest their own money in new ideas that will bring the country out of it's oil dependency.
You should be applauding him, rather than trying to find fault.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The man is putting his money where his mouth is. More than I can say about some people.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,177 times
I've posted more than once on this board about my feelings regarding big wind turbines, but I have to admit that I do support the Pickens Plan, and I did sign up at the website. Like it or not, this is one of the alternatives we must look at if we're going to break our dependence on foreign oil.

I realize that I come across as a hypocrite - so be it. As sad as it makes me to see a huge wind turbine in a beautiful country landscape, it makes me sick to think that we're making all those Saudis wealthy beyond belief and they would rather see us all dead.

The Pickens Plan calls for a corridor of wind farms throughout the midwest. It will create jobs where they're desperately needed. I lived there and it's sad to see entire towns just deserted due to the lack of jobs.

If we can create jobs for the people in this country, reduce energy costs, and put the Saudis out of business at the same time, I can take the sight of a wind turbine on a hill.

I'm just glad someone stepped up who even the most conservative of conservatives can't call a treehugger or a crackpot.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
I'll wait until "T" actually puts some iron in the ground. Right now he's spent a lot more on TV ads than anything else. Time to walk the talk.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Apparently his Mesa Power LLP has a little wind turbine project going on in Texas, which might help explain some of his boosting wind power. Not negating the need for alternative solutions, but perhaps solar and/or geothermal might fit as some of our solutions too:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil investor T. Boone Pickens' Mesa Power LLP said on Thursday it ordered 667 wind turbines from General Electric Co as part of the $2 billion first phase of a planned Texas wind farm.

The four-phase Pampa Wind Project would be the world's largest wind energy generator, with more than 4,000 megawatts of electricity, enough for 1.3 million homes, when completed in 2014, Mesa said.

Pickens' Mesa Power orders GE wind turbines | Quotes | Company News | Reuters

Former Texas Oilman Pursues World' s Largest Wind Farm

Environmental Capital - WSJ.com : Blade Runner: Investment Surges in Wind-Power Transmission Lines
He doesnt "care" about wind power, he's pushing natural gas.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
I see no ulterior motive in how Pickens gives his money away. Pickens so far has donated $400 million to his Alma mater, OSU, and may not be finished yet. His most recent donation was for $100,000,000 in endowment chairs. So probably the more billion$ Pickens makes the more better still it will be for OSU. Very few, if any universities, have had this much money thrown at them in the last few years. And Boone's donations have worked out to more wealthy people than ever before donating to OSU, not fewer. In a state that does not believe in supporting its universities as much as in other states, this extra funding is very important.

The sign showing the construction on the all new west side part of the stadium at OSU named after him is shown below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies