Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
why not? as long as the parents don't care. I got the belt at a younger age. you tend to learn quickly after one of those beat downs. sitting in the corner doesn't work.
Amen. Most recently I witnessed what was called the "naughty chair" at a friends house.

I had to step outside to get a breath of fresh air to keep from laughing in utterly disgusted disbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Amen. Most recently I witnessed what was called the "naughty chair" at a friends house.

I had to step outside to get a breath of fresh air to keep from laughing in utterly disgusted disbelief.
LMAO don't laugh I have one in my house too - I've learned that lecturing my son doesn't work, threatening to take toys and privileges away doesn't work so for things that don't warrant spankings I was at a loss. But my son hates to sit still so I have a chair in my kitchen and when he breaks the rules he has to sit in it and watch Little Einsteins. He acts like it kills him to sit there for those 15 minutes, lsitening to those kids sing. I never thought I'd be a time out parent but usually when I say "do you need to go sit in your chair" the behavior quickly shapes up.

The only thing that trumps the chair is "Do I need to get your, Daddy" One day I'm gone learn how that Daddy trick works cause I swear when he walks in the house my child gets a brand new personality.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I am so glad my kids don't go to school.
me too but if they got out of line I didn't spare the rod.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You need a realty check. Those things happen all the time and the parents are as smugly sanctimonious about the harm inflicted as you are. The line is intentional physical coercion, after you cross that it's just different degrees of violence. Denials in bold and italics are still just denials.
smuggly santimonious...well if the shoe fits...yanno?

again, it is not denial...spanking is not beating a child...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
smuggly santimonious...well if the shoe fits...yanno?

again, it is not denial...spanking is not beating a child...
Physical coercion via infliction of fear and pain is what we are talking about. You can candy coat it all you like and call it spanking rather than beating. Very PC of you.

Read the other posts in this thread for references to rods, belts, paddles, etc. Once you cross the line it's all a continuum.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Giving a child a "swat" on the 'ole tuckas does not equate to "beating" a child.

I you believe otherwise then, you are a nut.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Giving a child a "swat" on the 'ole tuckas does not equate to "beating" a child.

I you believe otherwise then, you are a nut.
AMEN, thank you very much, these people will go to any length to distort the idea of spanking. I can understand some people not believing in spanking, that I can. What I can't understand, is them trying to inflict their views and opinions to the point of taking the issue to a whole different level. Unbelievable.

ya don't want to spank your child, that's your business...I want to swat my child's behind, b/c he did something bad, that's my business, period.

I really wish these same people would unite and energize against real child abusers, both physical and sexual child abusers and have them put away for good? I'm talking using sticks to beat a child, giving them black and blue marks...breaking bones, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ya don't want to spank your child, that's your business...I want to swat my child's behind, b/c he did something bad, that's my business, period.

I really wish these same people would unite and energize against real child abusers, both physical and sexual child abusers and have them put away for good? I'm talking using sticks to beat a child, giving them black and blue marks...breaking bones, etc.
They all sound just like you. The consistent refrain is, "the child is my property and I'll beat it if I chose to. I was beaten as a kid and there's nothing wrong with me."

Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
They all sound just like you. The consistent refrain is, "the child is my property and I'll beat it if I chose to. I was beaten as a kid and there's nothing wrong with me."
No, they don't and I've always said, to many adults while our children were growning up...you don't own your child. You have one concept in your mind, and that is, you hate any child to be spanked. SPANKING OR SWATING A KID ON THE BUTT, IS NOT BEATING...BEATING A CHILD CAUSES BLACK AND BLUE MARKS, BREAKS BONES, ETC. THERE IS A GREAT BIG DIFFERENCE.

And they all sound like you...liberal ideas are not all bad...but distorting the truth to prove your point, and the inability to allow others their opinions is a very controlling and distorted person, which are the kind of people that has gotten humanity into wars since the beginning of time.

I dont' know why these arguments have to break out on these forums all the time, just b/c you don't agree with us. And I cannot for the life of me understand, why you all actually fear allowing others their opinions. It's beyond my concept.

you don't spank your child...fine...but I spanked mine, swated his behind, maybe 3 times in his life. It wasn't a beating, it was a swat which yeah, probably stung...but, his behind didn't turn black and blue, nor did I break skin...

And yes, for your information, my maternal mother Did beat me as a child...and no one but no one would ever, touch my child like that and live. Matter of fact, someone smacked him across the face several times when he was little, and I hauled her ass to court and alerted child welfare. No one but no one ever slaps my child across the face, period.

But, if my son ever would have used a four letter word, I would have smacked his mouth...never ever did I have to resort to that, b/c I didn't allow him to ever think I wouldn't. It was all bluff, and I was military strict, and would turn and smile to my husband after talking to him. I didn't scream and hollar...I spoke to him with a very stern voice...

Fortunately, my foster parents were a great influence on me...did they spank? hardly at all, but did on occassions, like maybe all of us, once, if that. And that is the God's truth. We feared my foster dad b/c he was a man of few words...when he spoke, that's all it took...and we all piped down.

My foster parents were fine outstanding citizens...working members of the church, loved by all, and if someone in the neighborhood needed something, they were there to help, both mentally and financially. My sister once told me, if people knew how much money they gave away to help neighbors, we'd all be shocked.

My own maternal mother had to have surgery, they paid her rent and went to the grocery store where she shopped and made certain they had money so that she could have food on the table for 8 weeks, until she was able to return to work, and that was just her?

We came from a generation that did believe in spanking....and it was a swat on the behind...in both public or in homes...all my friends parents were like that. I'm 60 years old today, and a better person for my foster parents, and the parents of all my friends. Remember, it was a different world then, and when we were at a friends home, we knew our parents gave them the right to punish us if we were bad.

Back then, all the parents looked out for all the children all the time, parents assumed responsiblity for the neighborhood kids and if something were a miss, they would call our parents right away, or visa versa, and or right then and there, repromand the child.

People then, seemed to be much more mature, with a lot more common sense. They worked together as a team, and I can absolutely tell you, we had some 20 kids or more in our neighborhood. Parents then were responsible. We were taught to whisper when inside a doctors office, or in a resturant. We were taught to respect the property and personal space of others. We were NOT allowed to run up and down the isles of a grocery store...Parents were much more strict.

I'm so thankful I grew up in that time, b/c let me tell you, I was a real handful. I needed a firm hand, and always knew, if I screwed up, I would never be allowed back in my foster home. I loved that home, my sisters, brother and their parents. It gave me structure, love and responsiblity. I didn't want to loose that or them, and I feared smoking, getting into trouble, because I realized, if I did, I might never be allowed in that house again. Now of course, I know differently...they would have never abandoned me, and they never threatened me....it was just something I feared and for my own good to. I was more then a tom boy, I was a risk taker...and danger drew me in....so, I'm thankful to God, that I feared not only getting a swat on the behind, but, also, loosing them as a family.

There is a great big difference from the way my maternal mother beat me, and the 3 times I swated my kid across the behind...big big difference...
those are the kind of parents you should be attacking...the child abusers.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-10-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Spanking is not beating.

Not surprising for you to be so wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies