Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,812,250 times

Advertisements

yes, I often am the voice of ignorance. even more often I am the voice of reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Did you notice where the states are located that allow spanking BTW? You often are the voice of ignorance. Aren’t you better than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,268,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I didn't generalize. I called it a tactic.
You indeed DID generalize, with the word "typical".

As for hit/spank, look the words up. The definitions are CLOSE ENOUGH. Just because spank is technically "slap" and hit is "strike". Holding on tightly to the word "spank" being somehow not hitting is a sign of denial of what it's really all about. Spank is a common term but to deny that it is a form of "hitting" is ludicrous.

I agree that it's not effective. I already talked about how I spanked my boys a handful of times but the majority of their discipline involved logical consequences, firm boundaries, removal of privileges, and some time-out. I don't have any doubt that they'd be just as well behaved and well adjusted as they are now even if I'd never laid a hand on them.

What I haven't posted about is the 5 year old girl... if ever there was a child that made someone say "That kid needs a spanking!" (and EVERYONE said this to us, even our most non-spanking sort of friends), it was her... and after trying everything else, we resorted to spanking her. Guess what? That didn't work either. True, she has more deep seated behavioral problems resulting from trauma in early childhood (NOT at OUR hands, long story)... but spanking did nothing and in fact was detrimental to her emotional well being and made her behavior WORSE and sadly we probably violated what fragile trust she had, not understanding the behavior at the time and not knowing what else to do.

So when I say no hitting in this house, it means no spanking or otherwise.
Live and learn.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,527,472 times
Quote:
I didn't generalize. I called it a tactic.
Yes, you did. Saying "typical leftist tactic" is by definition a generalization.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,055,421 times
Quote:
again, another poster who replaces the word spanking with hitting. typical leftist tactic.
I'm a leftist? You're the first person that's ever called me a leftist. I was a USMC drill instructor and have some insight into human behavior modification. I'm also a Texan by birth and a conservative by choice. Yes, I did vote for both Bush's and Reagan so your assumptions are so far off in the ether, it's farcical.

You can call spanking anything you want but it's still hitting and it simply doesn't work. Never did.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:44 PM

109 posts, read 261,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You can call spanking anything you want but it's still hitting and it simply doesn't work. Never did.
Your form is probably to blame then. Make sure you rotate your hips. The power should be coming from your back foot and traveling up your body into your arm then through the paddle/club/etc. And always remember to follow through.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM

you voted for bush? jesus christ, I take it back, you are worse than a leftist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm a leftist? You're the first person that's ever called me a leftist. I was a USMC drill instructor and have some insight into human behavior modification. I'm also a Texan by birth and a conservative by choice. Yes, I did vote for both Bush's and Reagan so your assumptions are so far off in the ether, it's farcical.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 PM

if I generalized, then so did you. you assumed that it was getting on "everyone else's" nerves and you can't speak for everyone else. I am sorry if you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
J, please stop w/the generalizing, it's getting on mine & everyone else's nerves!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,309,081 times
Putting the whole spanking thing to the side for a minute, I believe no matter the punishment they use parents need to work together and they need to follow through with the punishment, I know so many people with kids who threaten them over and over and never follow through and the kids are terrible, I think the constant threats are way more abuse than following through with a punishment, it teaches children they don't have to listen because there will be no backing up those words.

Now everybody go to your room and take a time out Play nice.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,579,976 times
Quote:
if I generalized, then so did you. you assumed that it was getting on "everyone else's" nerves and you can't speak for everyone else. I am sorry if you are.
He speaks for many who regretably read your posts. You voice opinions that reflect poorly on you. I am glad you don't have kids or a dog.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
not everything that came out of the 60's was good. dr spock lied. time out does not work. 30 years later more violent more unruly than b4. probably the greatest evil i have seen in my lifetime has been the pervasive use of conflict deescalation technique used in every authority role job. it reinforces bad behavior. we create monsters and turn them loose on the community.
conflict deescalation, the art of the quick fix throw him a bone and get him out of our office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies