Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

I open carry frequently in the summer as it's more comfortable that way in hot weather. Makes no difference legally in Vermont and Alaska. I have indeed in VT had some run ins with the police ("man with a gun" calls) in one of the more anti-gun cities, Rutland (the city who's anti-gun ordinance led to the VT Supreme Court case, State v. Rosenthal in 1903, then they tried the same thing in the 1990's). They hassled me and tried to stop me from doing so. Wasted over a half hour twice trying to intimidate/scare me into stopping carrying, for example, by saying they'll stop me frequently. There's now a nice understanding though it would appear: they know if they do it again they're being sued in both state and federal courts, and, the city's finances are such that it can't really afford a a lawsuit, particularly under the Civil Rights Act of 1871. Some details on the two incidents I had (in June, old posts) are at my blog: Guns, Politics and Homesteading

Oddly enough it's the only times and the only place I've had a problem while open carrying in Vermont. Everywhere else in the state...no issues at all, most don't get upset/worried over it, though I have heard of problems in Burlington and Brattleboro from some but so far I haven't myself, though I rarely step foot in Burlington as I hate the place and I've only ever driven through Brattleboro so I may not be the ebst one to ask about those places...

So as the OP might notice, I'm pro-open carry and concealed carry. I say leave it up to the person doing so. I think open carry can actually serve as a deterrent for all but the most determined criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Thats funny, I would have told them to take me to the station and to get their dang chief there pronto for a nice little talk about how those fools slept their way through the police academy.
I don't know, I've read on gun boards it's a real anti-gun department, some nice lawsuits might be just the answer.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
I thought I answered this one already... Minnesota is an open carry state as well. I've never been called on it yet although I do try cover it with a shirt or vest in the winter sometimes that big old 45 sticks out and there it is.........

Old 07-23-2008, 09:10 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Clinton Chad Grainger 'Shouldn't have had permit'

Jason Derek Brown's instructor speaks out

I'm just pointing this out to counter certain absurd claims I have seen tossed around, along the lines of "a CCW holder has NEVER committed a firearms crime" and that sort of thing. There are plenty of CCW holders - I am one - and some are simply criminals. That's the nature of society.
Thanks for the links.
Not sure if you were referring to me but I didn't say that it never happened or "a CCW holder has NEVER committed a firearms crime" I asked who could provide a link. I apreciate the links but dont think its fair to say that "theres quite a few" permit holding offenders. I'd say its quite rare compared to other licensed or regulated things. Compare it for instance to the percent of drivers that get tickets or into accidents.
The VAST majority of permit holders never cause any trouble. Maybe thats a better way to put it.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,653 times
Welp, I have open carried for 30 years and no one has ever taken my gun, hit me with a wine bottle, called the cops on me, or ambushed me.
No one has ever tried to pick a fight with me and all has been well
I have dropped three in that time period for diferent reasons and not lost a bit of sleep over it.

See Im a retired cop.................

Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
Not sure if you were referring to me
No; I was actually thinking of something was was said on the "Coast-to-Coast AM" radio show.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Actually, rethinking the original question I'd say that all gunowners should be able to openly carry their weapons. After all if you can buy it & own it its common sense you should be permitted to carry it. Conceled I feel theres a need for a permit in many localities.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
a photo from Israel.Women stopping for icecream carrying M16's.Granted Israel is a unique position but still.If a American did this people would scream out the door and call the SWAT team.

In Israel and Switzerland people carry automatic rifles openly coming from range practice yet you never hear of accidental discharges.If America proposed doing so anti gunners would charge that being alowed to would lead to multiple death from misuse so why is it other nations don't have accidental death from open carry?It's because if you are trained right you use it properly.

And because liberals villianize people with guns.

here is a Swiss man carrying a assault rifle in a store coming from militia training.Over there they issue almost every household with one.So maybe it has more to do with social condition rather than gun availabity when it comes to crime?

SWITZERLAND
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...iz/schweiz.jpg

While it is politically correct to teach "guns are bad" in America in Switzerland they do this...................
[PHOTOS] Swiss citizens enjoy shooting their assault rifles in "the biggest shooting competition in the world". : reddit.com
i'm all for the US following the swiss method. but don't stop at just their firearms policy. the US should pick up swiss-style healthcare, foreign policy, public transportation excellence, alcohol/drug policy, etc.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I just checked with my local police department here in New Hampshire. I can openly carry a handgun or long gun in plain sight without any permit or license. If I want to carry a concealed weapon I need to apply for a permit from my local police chief. AFAK – I can carry anyplace but a courthouse. I’ll check on this when I apply for a new license.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just checked with my local police department here in New Hampshire. I can openly carry a handgun or long gun in plain sight without any permit or license. If I want to carry a concealed weapon I need to apply for a permit from my local police chief. AFAK – I can carry anyplace but a courthouse. I’ll check on this when I apply for a new license.
In NH it'll have to be unloaded while in a vehicle unless you have the carry permit. Just so you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies