U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,450,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just checked with my local police department here in New Hampshire. I can openly carry a handgun or long gun in plain sight without any permit or license. If I want to carry a concealed weapon I need to apply for a permit from my local police chief. AFAK I can carry anyplace but a courthouse. Ill check on this when I apply for a new license.
I could be wrong but dont think you can carry inside a school there either. On school grounds is ok but not the buildings is my understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:30 AM

13,074 posts, read 5,846,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know, I've read on gun boards it's a real anti-gun department, some nice lawsuits might be just the answer.
Maybe so, but their actions are that of an anti-law department. Sure, I think they need to be sued. My point is that everything they did was in violation of state and federal laws. I mean, we aren't talking about little things that are borderline, but big ones that any cadet fresh out of the academy knows. I would have done everything they asked me, been polite, but at each stage pointed out the violation of law and told them that I am only complying to avoid improper treatment from them as it is obvious they are ignoring laws themselves.

That department will be lucky if it doesn't receive huge IA investigations into further misconduct, that those involved are not only released from duty, but charged with crimes themselves. If those citizens are persistent, there are some major rears being chewed in this issue.

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:44 AM

14,010 posts, read 11,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Maybe so, but their actions are that of an anti-law department. Sure, I think they need to be sued. My point is that everything they did was in violation of state and federal laws. I mean, we aren't talking about little things that are borderline, but big ones that any cadet fresh out of the academy knows. I would have done everything they asked me, been polite, but at each stage pointed out the violation of law and told them that I am only complying to avoid improper treatment from them as it is obvious they are ignoring laws themselves.

That department will be lucky if it doesn't receive huge IA investigations into further misconduct, that those involved are not only released from duty, but charged with crimes themselves. If those citizens are persistent, there are some major rears being chewed in this issue.
My point was talking to the chief would have done nothing. It's going to take civil rights lawsuits, possible criminal charges, etc., to put those thugs in their place.

Unread 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM

16,092 posts, read 9,481,731 times
In Alaska you can carry openly or concealed anywhere in the state, no permits required. Alaska does have a Concealed Carry Permit, but that is only for the purpose of reciprocity with other states, not a requirement for Alaskans to carry a concealed weapon.

Unread 07-26-2008, 10:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,380,860 times
Default I'll defer to the 2nd Amendment on this....

I think on this one I'll defer to our great US Constitution and it's 2nd Amendment written in clear and plain English: WE HAVE A RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR FIREARMS AND THE GOV'T MAY NOT ENCROACH ON THAT RIGHT.

I am not a right-winger in the least, but I support the US Constitution on this all the way. Let me say here, let everyone openly carry firearms like the Framers intended and I will be the first to take an accidental bullet or one stupidly shot at me in anger. It's well worth it to avoid a fascist Nazi-style gov't, which is what we now have if you hadn't noticed already...

Unread 07-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Status: "I'm the smiling face on your TV" (set 20 days ago)

1,291 posts, read 1,394,425 times
Arizona is an "Open Carry" state which permits you to have a weapon visible on your person, in plain view inside your vehicle, or in the glove compartment. No license or permit is required to do so. If you are so inclined, you can go through a class and obtain a concealed weapon permit.

In Northern Arizona where I live, it is not uncommon to see individuals out in public with a holstered gun. The local DMV office has a "Check Your Weapon" sign posted at the door and lockers to place your gun in while conducting business in the office. While some establishments have signs posted prohibiting weapons on their premises, most don't even bat an eye if you walk in with one. I have two friends that "open carry" on a regular basis. They have never encountered any problems with law enforcement or the public, other than receiving odd looks from tourists.

Special license or not, I don't see anything wrong with people carrying a weapon openly in public.

Unread 07-27-2008, 07:45 AM

358 posts, read 306,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I'm curious about what the general public thinks. Opinions anyone?

strange, here in Montana I do not believe you have to have a CCW permit to open carry at all.
I am all for open carry, it would help remind crooks and cops not to step over the line.
Also, I believe that each and every person doing open carry anywhere inside the borders of the USA should be exempt from paying any type of sales tax from any state for the purchase that he is carrying a pistol.

Unread 07-27-2008, 08:04 AM

13,074 posts, read 5,846,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
My point was talking to the chief would have done nothing. It's going to take civil rights lawsuits, possible criminal charges, etc., to put those thugs in their place.
It depends. I have seen cases where the chief is oblivious of the actions of its officers. I have seen violations by an officer that was resolved by the person setting up an appointment with the chief and when the chief heard and then verified the complaint, the officers were fired. Sometimes it is even better to go through this process as it gives the department the ability to save face. They get rid of the problem officers and the incident isn't blown through the media hurting public relations. Some chiefs greatly appreciate the more subtle approach to an issue by a citizen. It also lends itself to credibility of your claim. If a person was interested in falsely accusing an officer, it makes no sense for them to do it quietly. You can sometimes get much better results through the method I explained.

You have to take the steps though, be the one who is level headed and really make sure that the officers aren't given any reason to validate their claim. If a person goes crazy, fights the officers, etc... even when they are in the right concerning the beginning issue, it is often lost in the paper work as the persons character through their actions severely clouds the issue.

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:39 AM

27,239 posts, read 23,757,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I'm curious about what the general public thinks. Opinions anyone?
Yep, that way the crooks know which people to shoot first.

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM

4,609 posts, read 2,478,929 times
When you opening carry you are no longer a target or a victim.
Open carry works well in texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies