Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 87,052 times

Advertisements

I was watching the Patriot with Mel Gibson and the movie made me wonder how do you think the world would be different if America had lost the Revolutionary War ? Do you think we would have tried to win independance again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin01 View Post
I was watching the Patriot with Mel Gibson and the movie made me wonder how do you think the world would be different if America had lost the Revolutionary War ? Do you think we would have tried to win independance again?
Most likely. They were brave men, not like us today.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Id say 'yes' to your question. I dont think there would be a doubt in my mind that we wouldnt have tried to kick the king out again. Heck, they tried to tackle us again, didnt take as well for them the 2nd time around either.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:57 PM

753 posts, read 758,391 times
Default Absolultely

There sure would have been a revolution, it just would have taken place in 1833 instead of 1776.

I leave it to you to figure out why.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin01 View Post
Good question, the key there is "world", not just America. People forget, the American revolution brought on changes to the world that have never been seen before, a great experiment - the end of the monarchies and the beginning of constitutional republics. If America had lost the Revolutionary War then probably there would not have been any French Revolution soon after, no Mexican revolution, no eventual Canadian independence, no Brazilian independence, etc.
History would run it's course in due time and all the "colonies" would eventualy get there independence, possibly peacefully, maybe as a result of a world war involving the colonial powers (such as, after WW2, England, France, the Dutch finally gave independence to it's wide spread colonies in Africa and Asia). But this would have been 100 years, 150 years later, after the colonial powers explored and settled the frontier. U.S. would probably be broken out between all it's former colonial divisions and be 4 or more different countries - The former british colonies in the northeast would be one country, former spanish colonies in the southwest would be another, former french colonies in the south up to the midwest, another.
It would be a totally different world.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Also would there have been a world power to stop Hitler and the Third Reich and Tojo and Imperial Japan from conquering the world then problably attacking each other.....

Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,854 times
chaos theory, all these conclusions are dependent on the initial conditions. If there were no US, who's to say there would have been a WWII? Or maybe the Ottoman empire would have remained? The world could be anything. Maybe slavery would still be acceptable and legal? Who knows, the fact is the US became a big player in world affairs and so if it was gone, who knows what events would have still transpired.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Looks like this could go on a bit...shall I put the kettle on?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
chaos theory, all these conclusions are dependent on the initial conditions. If there were no US, who's to say there would have been a WWII? Or maybe the Ottoman empire would have remained? The world could be anything. Maybe slavery would still be acceptable and legal? Who knows, the fact is the US became a big player in world affairs and so if it was gone, who knows what events would have still transpired.
This is quite accurate. There is no way to predict what would or wouldn't have happen, had what is now the US actually be split into 4 dinstinctly different countries or something along those lines. There wouldn't be slavery most likely because it was abolished by the British crown and in her commonwealths a few years before we abolished it in the US. Basically, there is no way to know how history would have played out except to think that most of the larger colonial powers (England, Spain, etc) would remain much more powerful and influential then they are currently in the world...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
If there were no US, who's to say there would have been a WWII?
WWII started in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. The U.S. didn't enter the war until Dec. 8, 1941 after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
There sure would have been a revolution, it just would have taken place in 1833 instead of 1776.

I leave it to you to figure out why.
My guess would be because the English Parliament passed the Slavery Abolition Act in 1833 which gave slaves their freedom throughout the British Empire. I don't think the Colonies would have taken too kindly to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies