Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,764 posts, read 40,067,717 times

Advertisements

WTF is wrong with Florida and the NRA? What a horrible idea is it to think that leaving a gun in a parked car is a smart idea. Parked cars are stolen frequently and every day, no matter how good an auto security system is on those cars. I hope Disney wins.

Disney, NRA Fight Over Guns At Work : NPR

Quote:
Disney is leading a group of businesses that are fighting a new Florida state law that allows employees to bring their guns to work if they leave them in their parked cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,484,966 times
Is it really necessary to even have a gun in a car period? What's the point?

I'm a big advocate of the use of guns for hunting and sport, but the NRA is starting to look pretty silly lately.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,819,497 times
I usually don't like stuff like this, but Florida is a really scary place, especially around Orlando. The violent crimes around here are insane, and honestly, as soon as I'm old enough to buy a gun and get a hidden weapons permit, I'm going to have one on me. It's too dangerous around here, particularly for young women, for me not to have something on me.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Is it really necessary to even have a gun in a car period? What's the point?
I have a firearm in my vehicle at all times

Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 PM

15,832 posts, read 21,346,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then don't work for Disney.

If Disney employees want to bring their guns to work, they can park off site.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Then don't work for Disney.

If Disney employees want to bring their guns to work, they can park off site.
Well, it would appear that, according to the article, and for the moment, Disney employees can leave their firearms in their cars, at work.

I support the NRA on this one

Old 07-27-2008, 07:12 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,764 posts, read 40,067,717 times
Quote:
But what if your vehicle was broken into or stolen? Then your firearm would end up in the hands of thieves. A locked vehicle is not a secure place to keep a firearm. I never leave cash or any important items in my cars when I have to leave them parked unattended. That's just plain stupid.

I just don't want anymore firearms ending up in the hands of criminals. And leaving them in parked cars is going to make the situation worse. I also think that it will potentially lead to more cars being broken into as thieves will now be looking for firearms in parked cars.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But what if your vehicle was broken into or stolen? Then your firearm would end up in the hands of thieves. A locked vehicle is not a secure place to keep a firearm. I never leave cash or any important items in my cars when I have to leave them parked unattended. That's just plain stupid.
The same argument could be "what if" my home was broken into - do you leave cash or important items in your home?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,378,631 times
Quote:
The same argument could be "what if" my home was broken into - do you leave cash or important items in your home?

Not really a good example. Auto theft is far more common than home invasion and a automobile is smaller and takes less time to cover than a house as well as the fact that it can be driven to another location and searched at the thief's leisure.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:34 PM

564 posts, read 890,771 times
I could bet a good many women wished they had a gun in their autos while leaving from work or other places. Parking lots anytime of the day/night are breeding grounds for unsavory characters. If my wife could leave a gun in her auto while at work, I'd not only encourage her, but almost demand it. With of course a good training and plenty of range practice.

I'd rather deal with my wife after shooting a predator, than a wife who has suffered (god forbid) a horrible crime, or not come home at all. Face it there are many nuts out here, I welcome them being shot between the eyes before they implement their horrific acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies