Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,691,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Wow, those aren't stereotypical black names, those are made up ghetto baby mama names. I am a black woman and mother and personally, I find those made up names and the made up spelling of them more than pathetic.

A woman has 9 months to think of a decent name for her child and if Shaniqua, Shanaynay, Tyquon, etc, is the best she can do, I pity the child and the stigma that the baby mama attached to him or her.

Sisters you are killing your child's chances in life the minute you sign the birth certificate, if you have future plans of them being employed in white controlled corporate America. After they finish laughing, those resumes? more often than not go in the rejection pile based on the applicant having a "ghetto" name. Sisters give your children a chance at least make them guess the race of your child.
I don't know if that's always true. Condoleeza Rice has a "made up" name from a musical term and she's obviously successful.

When there's an over-abundance of apostrophes and dashes names can look silly, but to me it's the same as naming a kid a "last name" sounding name like Jamison or MacKenzie when it's not a family name. But whatever--people can overcome a stigma from a name if that's all that's holding them back.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,542,329 times
Is this really a topic discussed by informed and mature adults?

Unbelievable.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,077,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Is this really a topic discussed by informed and mature adults?

Unbelievable.
Naw, its just fun to wonder aloud why people are so hung up on what other people do. When someone's name takes food off my table, or steals my car, I will have a negative feeling about it, but as names cannot do anything at all, I am cool. There is an expression for this, it is called squinty windows, everybody looking out to make judgement on their neighbor.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM

532 posts, read 858,841 times
Thumbs down Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
My brother's name is Chinua after the nigerian author. But i'm kind of glad my parents gave me a nice simple name. Cause you know people mess up the pronunciation of supposed "black sounding names". My nieces and nephews have unique names. But I wouldn't necessarily attribute them to being black though: Quinn, Cue, China. On a another note has anyone met a white person with a last name Jenkins or Jemison?
We had a Jenkins family in our hometown. They said it was a Welch name. Come to think of it--wasn't the actor, Richard Burton's last name Jenkins? He was from Wales, and changed his name to Burton when he began acting.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,264,375 times
I knew a kid named D’Artagnan once. Holey moley what a dumb name. (Moth, are you in the Summerville, SC area)?
I have friends who named their child Coleman. While it’s a cool Irish name, I see a lot of tents and camping equipment in his future.
I knew a Candida (yeast infection).
These 3 are white.

There were a rash of kids who didn’t know that the Female on the birth certificate was not the name, they’re called Female (pronounced FeeMalay).

One of the problems with unique names is the job market.
Do you really want you kid to have one more hurdle in life?
Not that it’s right, but that’s what it is.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM

532 posts, read 858,841 times
Thumbs down Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Almost everybody on my mom's side (from the deep woods of GA) goes by their first and middle names.

Annie Mae
Sandra Kay
Annie Jean
Sophie Mae
Mary Jo
Mary Lee
Trish Anne
Willie Pearl
Jessie Mae (Mae was my greatgrandmothers name so its repeated all through my family)

Yeah we country
Natalayjones--I am having a hard time researching my Jones side. I am doing genealogical research, and my Jones side keeps eluding me. I guess, because there are so many Jones. I know it is on my maternal side, from either TN, or the Carolinas. It is originally a welch name. Many black people from the South, have this name. Some of them intermarried with Cherokees, or other Indian tribes in the South. If that is one of your family names, do you have any info about the name? If so, maybe I could contact you privately, as I know this isn't a genealogy board.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,077,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I knew a kid named D’Artagnan once. Holey moley what a dumb name. (Moth, are you in the Summerville, SC area)?
I have friends who named their child Coleman. While it’s a cool Irish name, I see a lot of tents and camping equipment in his future.
I knew a Candida (yeast infection).
These 3 are white.

There were a rash of kids who didn’t know that the Female on the birth certificate was not the name, they’re called Female (pronounced FeeMalay).

One of the problems with unique names is the job market.
Do you really want you kid to have one more hurdle in life?
Not that it’s right, but that’s what it is.
YOu know what, if my car mechanics name is Snaggle tooth, and his wife the doctor is Tweedle Dee, and they fix me up, I really really do not care. Should people have to go through a vetting process of the nasty things people may do before they do anything in life? The snickering, name calling, discrimination are reflections of poor upbringing by the people who engage in them, not by the people whose names happen to be, hmmm,maybe Barack, or Shaq, or MiLing, or Ishkabibble.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,824,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I am very curious why so many black people have very typical black names? It is nothing wrong with that at all but how did that start? Just curious?

black people as in what? americans, for the most part our names are european like everyone else,

question tho? why do you care and why does it bother u? mind ur business

Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,541,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Naming your kid after where he was conceived doesn't seem ignorant or white-trashy?

Sorry, but I think a lot of "white names" sound at least as stupid as stereotypically black names. In fact, I hate the common place ones even more. Naming your kid "Crystal", "Chantel", or whatever else is merely condemning that kid to a life of stripping.
Crystal also spelled Krystal is an old name from years ago. I have a 53 year old sister named Crystal and a step-daughter named Krystal. Does Crystal mean something else today??

Old 07-28-2008, 04:52 PM

932 posts, read 1,676,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
YOu know what, if my car mechanics name is Snaggle tooth, and his wife the doctor is Tweedle Dee, and they fix me up, I really really do not care. Should people have to go through a vetting process of the nasty things people may do before they do anything in life? The snickering, name calling, discrimination are reflections of poor upbringing by the people who engage in them, not by the people whose names happen to be, hmmm,maybe Barack, or Shaq, or MiLing, or Ishkabibble.
I actually do this. When I think of names I would like to name my children I actually think about a teacher calling his/her name in my head, and if the said teacher can pronounce it or what nasty connotations other kids could make up about the name. I rhyme it with crazy things like Ashley is ashy or Ricky is icky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies