Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times

Advertisements

I know it isn't exclusive to Canada, but aside from the weather, it's the only other thing I know of right now that I dislike about Canada.

And a previous poster had a good point--that has just about nothing to do with homosexuality and everything to do with free speech. But the OP is baiting.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
And a previous poster had a good point--that has just about nothing to do with homosexuality and everything to do with free speech. But the OP is baiting.
When the fishing is this good, I bring my lesbian.

Yeah, I'm gay. Wanna sissy slap about it?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
When the fishing is this good, I bring my lesbian.

Yeah, I'm gay. Wanna sissy slap about it?
Is that like ***** slapping? Aw, crap, it doesn't allow the word.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Default Lighten Up!

Homosexuality is just like heterosexuality; it is a person's sexual orientation, his or her preference. It is no one else's business.
I'm a straight male in my sixties. I've seen homosexuals mistreated, heard overt threats made at them, and I've defended them. But I didn't, always, because I wasn't sophisticated enough to provide proper evaluation to the matter and listened too much to others. The vast majority of those "others" were "good Christians" who have an appreciation only for people just like themselves. All the others are freaks, criminals, weirdos, and deviants.
One of my distinct advantages in social interaction is my atheism. It helps me to do my own evaluation of just what makes some people so vitriolic. And most of the time, I'm led to the conclusion that their Christianity gives them some form of superiority to apply to social status. Ergo, if you're not like them, you're not as good as they are and they are free to criticize you for whatever aberration, real or imagined, they have tagged you with. And, if you ask me, it's only going to get worse as the religious right gains strength.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Funny gay dude story. Im moonlighting working Dillards in 2004 with John who is gay. A customer returns a designer shirt. The shirt is for men, silk, wine red and has a hood on it. (Think Adam Ant shirt from the video "strip", but red with a hood)

He looks at the shirt, picks it up as one might pick up a poo covered newspaper by the edges, looks at it closeley (with disdain) and says, "oh this is too gay, even for me"

There were about 5 of us there when he said it. We laughed for 5 minutes on that one.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n e witchway View Post
Homosexuality is just like heterosexuality; it is a person's sexual orientation, his or her preference. It is no one else's business.
I'm a straight male in my sixties. I've seen homosexuals mistreated, heard overt threats made at them, and I've defended them. But I didn't, always, because I wasn't sophisticated enough to provide proper evaluation to the matter and listened too much to others. The vast majority of those "others" were "good Christians" who have an appreciation only for people just like themselves. All the others are freaks, criminals, weirdos, and deviants.
One of my distinct advantages in social interaction is my atheism. It helps me to do my own evaluation of just what makes some people so vitriolic. And most of the time, I'm led to the conclusion that their Christianity gives them some form of superiority to apply to social status. Ergo, if you're not like them, you're not as good as they are and they are free to criticize you for whatever aberration, real or imagined, they have tagged you with. And, if you ask me, it's only going to get worse as the religious right gains strength.

Thanks for the stereotype!!!

I'm a southern white male, heterosexual, and Christian. So I guess I don't like anyone who isn't. That is why my wifes hair stylists is very FLAMING gay, yet I have no problem going to sit in the salon and chat with both of them while he cuts her hair.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Does free speech include inciting violence against gays? (Fire! in a theater?)

If churches try to affect laws and politics shouldn't they lose their non-profit charters and pay taxes?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Does free speech include inciting violence against gays? (Fire! in a theater?)

If churches try to affect laws and politics shouldn't they lose their non-profit charters and pay taxes?
Yes, they should lose tax exemption if they try to affect politics directly. That, however, is different from teaching views and telling people they should stand up for what they believe.

IMO, any church that promotes a candidate is a political organization. Yet the Republicans and Dems both have their hands in the "religous" vote cookie jar.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,514 times
Thre was a case in Sweden where a pastor was jailed for saying homosexuality was Wrong.Im kind of suprised to see similar stuff make its way over here.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thre was a case in Sweden where a pastor was jailed for saying homosexuality was Wrong.Im kind of suprised to see similar stuff make its way over here.
I guess there are enough people who consider that progressive. I have to strongly disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.