U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,264 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting, hipocritical, and wrong on many levels.

[url]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0107/2389.html[url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Yes, I think you summed it up quite nicely. I think the congressman had a legitimate reason to want to join the Black Caucus and his heart was in the right place since he said that 60% of his district was black. But, he was excluded, specifically based on race, because the caucus felt it was best to keep it completely black. Hmmmmm....interesting. Something tells me that this won't get a lot of attention from the national media because for some reason it's okay to discriminate based on race if you're not white...

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM

989 posts, read 5,325,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Something tells me that this won't get a lot of attention from the national media because for some reason it's okay to discriminate based on race if you're not white...
I remember when that KKK member ran for president in 1998. He was guest on Larry King Live, Chris Matthews,.. you name it! He was the center of attention.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM

634 posts, read 2,555,614 times
In order to cure "racism" according to the Black Caucus, apparently it's appropriate to ostracize White politicians. Or how about Whites in general?

Consider things to come as Whites eventually become a minority in the U.S.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 3,571,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
In order to cure "racism" according to the Black Caucus, apparently it's appropriate to ostracize White politicians. Or how about Whites in general?

Consider things to come as Whites eventually become a minority in the U.S.

Im not too sure about whites being the minority. Its not as if the white population is shrinking. Its actually growing.

You cannot tell what the population will be 10 or 30 years from now. The trends never stay the same.

The prediction that whites will be a minority (which there will not really be a majority of any race if the prediction were to hold true ) is based on the exact same influx and population trends continuing exactly the same for decades to come. It is an impossibility. If you were to take the same trends during the potato famine, you would say the Irish would be the majority population by the 50's.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:06 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Im not too sure about whites being the minority. Its not as if the white population is shrinking. Its actually growing.

You cannot tell what the population will be 10 or 30 years from now. The trends never stay the same.

The prediction that whites will be a minority (which there will not really be a majority of any race if the prediction were to hold true ) is based on the exact same influx and population trends continuing exactly the same for decades to come. It is an impossibility. If you were to take the same trends during the potato famine, you would say the Irish would be the majority population by the 50's.
Well the prediction is also based on something you don't mention, the fact that whites are not having very many children (I believe it's about 2 or less), mostly due to birth control and many families staying smaller for financial reasons. This is the opposite in hispanic communities for instance where there are almost double the amount of children being born per family and we need to consider the fact that all the expansion in the public school system has been due to immigrant children (mostly hispanic). Those are just the facts.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 AM

28,175 posts, read 43,452,271 times
How does every thread end up at the subject of immigration?? Sheesh, I thought this one was safe... LOL.

And to keep it on topic, I'm a bit torn on this story... can't decide whether they're acting like the Boy Scouts or a country club, if you know what I mean. I appreciate the need to have this caucus, but it does seem wrong to exclude someone, especially if they're representing a mostly black community. Hmmmmmm.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 AM

405 posts, read 1,130,360 times
There's that double standard America, rearing it's ugly head again!

Imagine if someone started a "White Caucus" that would exclude everyone but 'white' people (Somewhere, Jesse Jackson just spit out his coffee all over the table.......)

How would that go over? Can you picture Jesse and Rev. Al marching down the street, singing "we shall overcome...."?

If you are a 'non-white' person you can have anything you want named after your race. Here are a few examples:

NAACP - National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
BET - Black Entertainment Television
UNCF - United Negro College Fund

Just wait - there will soon be a "Hispanic Channel"!

But just try to do the same things, only substitute the word "White" for "Black" - ummmmmmmmmmm! That would be "racism".

If something is racist - ITS RACIST! It shouldn't depend upon the color used. What is racist for one group should be racist for ANY group. PERIOD.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM

1,393 posts, read 869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post

Imagine if someone started a "White Caucus" that would exclude everyone but 'white' people (Somewhere, Jesse Jackson just spit out his coffee all over the table.......)

How would that go over? Can you picture Jesse and Rev. Al marching down the street, singing "we shall overcome...."?

If you are a 'non-white' person you can have anything you want named after your race. Here are a few examples:

But just try to do the same things, only substitute the word "White" for "Black" - ummmmmmmmmmm! That would be "racism".

If something is racist - ITS RACIST! It shouldn't depend upon the color used. What is racist for one group should be racist for ANY group. PERIOD.
THANK YOU!!! I have always wondered how this happens. But, some how whites are always to blame.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post

We already have a "Hispanic Channel", many actually. Here in the Dallas area we also have a Black Chamber of Commerce, LOL!!! Then there is LULAC (League of Untied Latino Americans.....). There is also a black dance theater here in Dallas. I've said the same thing many times, I'm not racist either, but if someone came up w/ a "White ________" group they (other "race" groups) would automatically say it was kkk or something and be screaming "racist" and fighting to join or make it illegal. So if these groups are going to segeragate themselves like this where does that leave those that come from mixed families? Can they join if their mom or dad was "white"? I think the congressman was trying to do the right thing and be in touch w/ what his constituents wanted. Afterall is that not the fight they (they being the minorities that like to play the race card) say whenever it is a "white" person representing them? That they are not "understood". Here is someone TRYING to understand them and to meet their needs and they slam the door in their face. Guess they really did not want to be understood. LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies