U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:09 PM

743 posts, read 1,151,842 times

Advertisements

It is impossible to say which are valid and which are not. There is no test outside of the legal system. I do not believe in restricting the rights to retribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 04:16 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Monitoring is not restricting!

But, let's just agree to disagree. I believe the system needs to be fixed and fixed radically--perhaps that is where we depart company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
It is impossible to say which are valid and which are not. There is no test outside of the legal system. I do not believe in restricting the rights to retribution.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Default Okay... lets take a sideways look at this...

... instead of talking about healthcare, lets use "police/fire" services as a test case...

Most of us will never need the fire department at our homes... but we DO pay for it... and homeowners fire insurance too!

Most of us don't smoke in bed, or do other risky behaviors, but we DO pay for police and fire protection... gladly too.

Same with health care, we should build it into the tax base and be done with it... for the betterment of society as a whole... same as we do for national defense... same as we do the NIH, the FBI, the Air Route Control System... same as we do for schools... HALF of my real estate TAX goes to a local school system... we have NO kids... its for the better good of our nation... and I'm NOT complaining... so why the fear and loathing over health care... I think the bulk of it is RACISM and CLASSISM... I hear certain of my white in-laws mouth off about welfare momma's squirting out babies and how they don't want to pay for it... that's a big chunk of this, not you personally, but that is a lot of it... I know how guys talk...

Why should health care be any different... especially when preventive care has such staggering cost avoidances over time...

Just do it.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Terrific analogies, mike from back east!

Now if we get more people to think the way we do, we're all set

Old 01-27-2007, 04:31 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Default Switching Gears...back to the energy aspects of the SOTU address

Charles Krauthammer is a nationally reknown columnist, a good reasonable conservative, and a writer I find myself agreeing with on many topics.

On 25 Jan 2007 he had this to say... "Is there anything more depressing than yet another promise of energy independence in yet another State of the Union address?...."

Read his full piece at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012501547.html

CK dismisses W's latest plan as "rubbish." I call it yet another of his dirty jokes... big words, no action, no change, same status quo of being held hostage to OPEC and the Texas oil mafia.

CK also mentions Robert Samuelson's excellent piece on the topic:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012301562.html

Krauthammer and Samuelson are conservatives, not liberals off dreaming of perfection in the wild blue yonder.

Lastly, I want to touch on the perception that anyone who is anti-Bush is also (magically, somehow) anti-military or anti-GWOT. Not true at all. I'm a 30-year Army civilian, now retired. I was sitting at my desk in the Pentagon when that ill-fated plane flew in on 9-11. I want to see Osama swinging by a rope from a lamp post...sooner the better. No one loves our troops more than I/we do. The Bush administration has simply been a kleptocratic disgrace and I can't stand his stupidity (real or feigned)... the world could've been his oyster but he and his band of jerks have screwed up just about everything they've touched, so badly so, that it defies words....

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies