Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times

Advertisements

Did anyone hear it?

It was pretty hard for me to take it *seriously* after the announcement that the "number one priority is balancing the Federal Budget."
(without increasing taxes!)

Compare his 2007 speech with the one from 2003:

From 2003:
"The best way to address the deficit and move toward a balanced budget is to encourage economic growth, and to show some spending discipline in Washington, D.C."
From 2007:
Spending "Reform" (yeah right)
The budget is now worse off than ever.
The long term fiscal prognosis is scary. Our debt is unsustainable.
The day of reckoning looms. The link below is the financial report of the USA's government.
It's fairly complicated, but shows that our debt is 3.5 trillion.
http://fms.treas.gov/fr/index.html

2003:
The second goal is "high quality, affordable health care for all Americans."
2007:
He said the same exact thing last night. I dunno about y'all, but our healthcare costs have gone UP--drastically. (But at least we have insurance!)He wants a tax break for currently uninsured low income families--are they even ON the economic charts? He wants to make most employer paid health insurance taxable income. This ends up being either a tax on the middle class (the folks that need a tax hike the least), or becoming a wash if they can use the tax deduction from before.

2003:
"A single chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen generates energy, which can be used to power a car -- producing only water, not exhaust fumes. With a new national commitment, our scientists and engineers will overcome obstacles to taking these cars from laboratory to showroom, so that the first car driven."
2007:
Saying the same thing again, plus: The President's energy plan also includes stepping up domestic oil production in environmentally sensitive ways and doubling the current capacity of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR).

The War:

In 2003's speech, Bush said this:"And if war is forced upon us, we will fight with the full force and might of the United States military -- and we will prevail."
2007:
The war in Iraq is termed the "classic ideological struggle of our time."
I am unconvinced that the Iraq war "was forced upon us."
We have not prevailed.
We are living in a culture of fear and this is, in part, how Bush got reelected.
His speech, like 2003's, mentions helping Africa--but no mention was made of the Gulf coast. Katrina is just so 2005.
This is not the world I'd hoped to leave my children.
Speech from 2003:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...030128-19.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,476,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Did anyone hear it?

It was pretty hard for me to take it *seriously* after the announcement that the "number one priority is balancing the Federal Budget."
(without increasing taxes!)
[...]
I read the text, but couldn't bring myself to listen to him for 45 minutes. As usual, nothing new, and nothing substantive. Glad to hear that he's still committed to his tax breaks for the wealthy at all costs, though. And his proposed health insurance "solution" is an even bigger disaster for the middle class than what we have now.

His constant fearmongering is disgusting.

Jim Webb's rebuttal, however, was amazing. I loved his references to two Americas, and his closing was absolutely classic. Definitely set a "we're not going to be his lapdogs" tone.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2007 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Whoa, whao, one issue at a time. I listened to most of the speach and thought I was listening to a democrat - Health care, global warming, green technology in place of oil. All good things but are the goals realistic? Cut gas and oil usage by 20% in 10 years? How exactly?

One issue - the budget. It is not worse off then ever. The budget deficit is down by 33% compared to last year. It may come as a shock to you but Bush's tax cuts (*gasp*) actually worked! It revitalized the economy in spite of democrat propaganda of "tax cuts for the rich". I guess there are still some hard core democrats claiming the economy is in shambles in spite of all evidence to the contrary. Spending control still need to be in place but it will amaze everyone that half the federal budget is spent on....guess what - not Iraq, not subsidies to the oil companies, not to Halliburton, etc. Half the federal budget is used to pay for amenity programs. Medicare, medicaid, federal health programs, etc. Reducing health costs, not increasing health care reimbursements and amentity programs, is the key.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,971,355 times
I actually listened to the whole speech. I didn't think I would. I actually thought it was one of his more successful SOU speeches, and he was clearly in control of his cadence, tone, etc. He delivered it better than he usually does. But... he's still full of sh_t and he's still an American traitor.
If he wanted to balance the Federal Deficit, he wouldn't be spending 1 TRILLION dollars on a war based on lies in Iraq!!! Let's face it, he talks fiscal conservatism and has added 10% to the National Debt with his war.
His "immigration" policy statements were also bogus. He says the priority is to secure the border and uphold the laws with regard to employing illegal aliens? Then why is he prosecuting two Border Patrol agents for doing their job and giving the Mexican drugrunner they shot in the a$$ immunity from prosecution while the illegal is suing us for $5,000,000?????
If he's serious about what he's saying, about doubling the Border Patrol, then why is he refusing to help them by controlling entry points with a fence that was already approved, not supplying the money to fund the measures needed, and making it so that a border patrol agent has to worry that his own government will prosecute him if he does his job correctly?
President Bush has Purposely left the border wide, wide, wide open. He wants as many illegals as possible to come across and then, though he says no amnesty, he wants to give them amnesty. Did anyone notice how he said "no amnesty" yet talked about resolving the "12 million illegals" in this country already? Yeah right... He talks like a snake.
The only thing about the speech I liked was looking past him at Nancy Pelosi's flashing diamond studs which were huge, brilliant and flashing through the whole speech.
President Bush is a traitor. It looks like it's finally catching up to him as well. Watch the Skooter Libby Trial over the CIA Valerie Plame debacle and see what happens now that it's come out that Cheney was sacrificing Libby to protect Karl Rove and the note he wrote about it was destroyed...!!!!!!!!!!!! The first time Fitzpatrick questioned Cheney, he used kid gloves. This time he's going to flay him and I cannot for one wait.
Maybe we'll begin to see these A-holes prosecuted and put in prison where they belong.

Last edited by MoMark; 01-24-2007 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
The only thing about the speech I liked was looking past him at Nancy Pelosi's flashing diamond studs which were huge, brilliant and flashing through the whole speech.... Maybe we'll begin to see these A-holes prosecuted and put in prison where they belong.

LOL, man that's angry to the point of where it was entertaining to read! How can you debate such bush-hate, it's ingrained in every sentence. It almost defies reason. I read this political forum and that's the problem with about 75% of these posts. You can't have a balanced objective discussion anymore because ANYTHING he says is met with such outright anger.

Anyways back to the topic - it was very curious watching Pelosi as well. She carefully picked and chose when to clap, when to sit stoically, when to have a scowl on her botox injected face (OK a little Pelosi hate to balance it out). She isn't a poker player, you could tell what presidential policies would fly by congress, and what won't, in the next 2 years.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

One issue - the budget. It is not worse off then ever. The budget deficit is down by 33% compared to last year. .
I am not talking about the budget deficit.
I am talking about the national debt. It doesn't go down. It just gets worse.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I am not talking about the budget deficit.
I am talking about the national debt. It doesn't go down. It just gets worse.
Ahh, OK. I agree it's going up, but so is GDP. As a percentage of GDP national debt is actually currently less then in the early Clinton years. I would rather see GDP increase then national debt decrease, percentage wise. But you are absolutely correct, eventually it must be decreased.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,971,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL, man that's angry to the point of where it was entertaining to read! How can you debate such bush-hate, it's ingrained in every sentence. It almost defies reason. I read this political forum and that's the problem with about 75% of these posts. You can't have a balanced objective discussion anymore because ANYTHING he says is met with such outright anger.

Anyways back to the topic - it was very curious watching Pelosi as well. She carefully picked and chose when to clap, when to sit stoically, when to have a scowl on her botox injected face (OK a little Pelosi hate to balance it out). She isn't a poker player, you could tell what presidential policies would fly by congress, and what won't, in the next 2 years.
I won't comment on the first part of your posting. No point in doing so. But, I thought the same thing of Nancy Pelosi. I noticed how she responded with clapping very specifically and I imagine it must be Botox too...her face doesn't move much. The only way to tell if she's had real work done on herself is to get her to cross her legs and see if her mouth snaps open.
Guess we'll have to wait until next year and hope for a glimpse.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,273,181 times
Quote:
President Bush has Purposely left the border wide, wide, wide open. He wants as many illegals as possible to come across and then, though he says no amnesty, he wants to give them amnesty. Did anyone notice how he said "no amnesty" yet talked about resolving the "12 million illegals" in this country already? Yeah right... He talks like a snake.
I noticed it. Translation: "I want you in congress to pass an amnesty bill for criminal aliens, but for the love of God don't call it an amnesty or the voters will crucify us."

The rest of the speech was just fluff. Hopefully the Democrats hate Bush enough that they will refuse to pass an amnesty bill just to spite him.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I won't comment on the first part of your posting. No point in doing so. But, I thought the same thing of Nancy Pelosi. I noticed how she responded with clapping very specifically and I imagine it must be Botox too...her face doesn't move much. The only way to tell if she's had real work done on herself is to get her to cross her legs and see if her mouth snaps open.
Guess we'll have to wait until next year and hope for a glimpse.
HAHAHA, thanks for having a sense of humour, and I meant no offense. I've said before that the level of Bush-hate for democrats equals and balances out with the level of Clinton-hate that the republicans had in the 1990's. It's all fair.
The thought of glimpsing Nancy Pelosi crossing her legs made me somewhat nauesous however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies