Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM

194 posts, read 325,690 times

Advertisements

Who said anything about a herd of cattle and a flock of sheep? You eat that much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
A goat (or a cow), some chickens, and a garden will do the trick for a family, for the most part.

Plus it'll keep the lawn mowed and ticks out of your yard. That makes HOA's happy!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Wow, you guys must have some large lots in the suburbias near you! I don't know what the HOA would say when it came to butchering time though.....that tends to be a rather noisy, messy and smelly outdoorsy type job
But hey! Let me know how it turns out

Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
I spent a good part of my childhood tilling and tending a garden and know how to can most fruits and veggies. I also come from a part of the country where taking a deer was once my ancestors only form of subsistance. My Family has enough acerage where I could keep a wood stove burning possibly for ever.

Bring the revolution

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Funny how we always see the doom posts of the end of the world, yet it is odd how the huge market rally yesterday is missing. Funny how a consistent drop in oil prices are absent from peoples posts. Ahh, probably doesn't make for good entertainment I guess.
What's unfortunate is that the average Joe hears something like this, and then obediently pays no further attention to the underlying issue.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wow, you guys must have some large lots in the suburbias near you! I don't know what the HOA would say when it came to butchering time though.....that tends to be a rather noisy, messy and smelly outdoorsy type job
But hey! Let me know how it turns out
It's all good. I imagine in a food shortage people might tell their HOA's to take a flying leap!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Actually no. Most HOA restrict how large a garden you can grow and really...who has room for a herd of cows or a coop of chickens? Besides, that would be illegal too.
Why would someone be stupid enough to buy a home in an HOA?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Why would someone be stupid enough to buy a home in an HOA?
That would be someone who wants to be assured that other people's lifestyle conforms to a tee, with everyone else's. And a HOA gives a person the ability to "enforce" those rules without being accountable for their opinions or having to confront the "violator".

I'd rather live next to a single-wide with pink flamingoes in the yard.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Smile The Havenots & The Wantmores

This type of investment activity needs to be controlled by our Gov't. with the benefits kept intact and the dangers to the general polulace recognized and then legislated and enforced.
The Enron loophole and unbridled oil speculation comes to mind. We can cetainly see the results of this daily.

There are those that complain about Gov't. intervention, but the shrewdness and greed motivation of financial activities of today make this necessary for ordinary citizens to survive more than ever.

Democracy and the free market system are not faultless and have frequently required watchdog activities of various types to keep them viable. Lack of this makes our Congress culpable because the majority of citizens will be left holding the bag.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
That would be someone who wants to be assured that other people's lifestyle conforms to a tee, with everyone else's. And a HOA gives a person the ability to "enforce" those rules without being accountable for their opinions or having to confront the "violator".

I'd rather live next to a single-wide with pink flamingoes in the yard.
funny you mention that. My wife and I in our last home lived next to a guy who would be enemy #1 to an HOA. Don't get me wrong, this guy was a nice guy, had a good heart and was always helpful if you need help, but...

He would let his plants get so far overgrown that it looked like a jungle (and I am being conservative). He would start projects on his house and never finish them leaving unpainted siding, half built sheds, and piles of building stuff everywhere for years. His lawn was muddy due to him driving his truck over it all the time, his backyard was unclean with piles of brush that attracted rats and insects. And he was loud shooting his guns out back and doing quad races with his friends.

Even after all that, after reading about what the restrictions of the HOA had, I would live next to that and smile each day than live in the stupidity of an HOA. Seriously, people who think those places are "good" scare the friggen hell out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies