Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
This is a joke. Fast food places offer healthy choices. People just prefer to make stupid choices. Expecting government to fix that is absurd.
What's even more absurd is the thought that this new law is going to "make" nicer restaurants want to suddenly pop into the area. I just don't see it where those "nicer" (read - more expensive) restaurants are going to want to be situated in that area. They will seek out the best zip codes they can find so they can get the best return on their investment. They are not going to be able to come in there and charge $40-50 a plate, $60 a bottle of cabernet dinners. Who would their clientele consist of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What's even more absurd is the thought that this new law is going to "make" nicer restaurants want to suddenly pop into the area. I just don't see it where those "nicer" (read - more expensive) restaurants are going to want to be situated in that area. They will seek out the best zip codes they can find so they can get the best return on their investment. They are not going to be able to come in there and charge $40-50 a plate, $60 a bottle of cabernet dinners. Who would their clientele consist of?
It is absurd but it is the original goal from Councilwoman Perry

Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
What people need to understand is that this is one persons endeavor to change the area she lives in Councilwoman Perry lives there, her original reason for starting this was that she wanted family and nicer restaurants in her area not healthier food, she first tried to get the fast food places ran out and force better restaurants to come in, she couldn’t do that so this was the solution for her to get this to happen. It really isn’t about healthy food. at all or forcing people to eat healthy.
Councilwoman Perry sounds like a serious ignoramous.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM

943 posts, read 782,286 times
Forget about restaurants, why not set up deli's and little grocers...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Forget about restaurants, why not set up deli's and little grocers...
Now that's the entrepreneurial spirit! Go get 'em tiger! Do you have any experience in running a deli or a small grocery store, btw? It will come in handy.

j/k, I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about you YOURSELF actually setting up business there - although you really shouldn't speak for what and who should or could do business in a particular part of town.

I think we are failing to see the picture if comments like this come up. The legislation is not "pushing" existing fast food businesses out of town to make room for "healthier" establishments. It is just stopping new fast food business from setting up shop for a set amount of time, in the hope that "nicer" or healthier stores/restaurants will establish business there. Where there is faith, there is hope.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
What people need to understand is that this is one persons endeavor to change the area she lives in Councilwoman Perry lives there, her original reason for starting this was that she wanted family and nicer restaurants in her area not healthier food, she first tried to get the fast food places ran out and force better restaurants to come in, she couldn’t do that so this was the solution for her to get this to happen. It really isn’t about healthy food. at all or forcing people to eat healthy.
LOL....I forgot about city politics and funny business. Guessing that she is getting contributions from local restaruant owners and is now "protecting" the people of her district by running out competition.

I'm sure the cries of racism are being made too....targeting minorities with big macs....it's genocide!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
They are not going to be able to come in there and charge $40-50 a plate, $60 a bottle of cabernet dinners. Who would their clientele consist of?
Yuppies priced out of Venice and Santa Monica who will henceforth come and gentrify South Central, soon to be known as SoCen.

Last edited by Moth; 08-05-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL....I forgot about city politics and funny business. Guessing that she is getting contributions from local restaruant owners and is now "protecting" the people of her district by running out competition.

I'm sure the cries of racism are being made too....targeting minorities with big macs....it's genocide!
Makes me wonder

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
This is a joke. Fast food places offer healthy choices. People just prefer to make stupid choices. Expecting government to fix that is absurd.

Man sheds 80 pounds on McDonald's diet - Diet and nutrition - MSNBC.com
Aye, again another law that attempts to fix a problem by instituting a solution based on something that isn't the problem. It is the result of delusional beliefs as to the causes of these issues. The real issue is individual responsibility, but this is ignored because they can't legally take that route as it attempts to force a person to live by the states rule (breech of individual liberties). So instead of taking that route, they make up fantasies about how the fault lies with these conditions and that gives them some legitimacy to regulate when ultimately the goal is to tell people what they can and can't eat. Its a lawyers way of removing freedoms.

People can eat healthy, I can build a shopping list for recipes that not only would be cheaper than going to a fast food place, but would be extremely healthy and balanced for an entire family.

These families have the ability to choose this, they do not. So, I treat it as their choice and any problems they create with their choice is their individual problem, not societies.

Now if the city wanted to encourage healthy eating through some education on how to buy and eat healthy cheaply, then thats great and would be a community service to which a city should be focusing on. Instead though, the do not do the community a service, they treat the community as if it serves them.

More and more local governments are being infiltrated by complete wacko's who have violated numerous concepts of individual freedom to further their own agendas.

I saw this happen in a small town in northern California before I left to another state. I lived there most of my life and watched slowly as these nut cases moved in from the big cities and started implementing regulations that coincided with their personal beliefs at the complete disregard of the community they claimed to serve (they were continuously voted into office by the students at the local university).

In the end, this isn't about their care for peoples health. It is about their care to have people live as they choose, what they want people to have. Nothing angers these wackos more than when you disagree with them. They are arrogant pompous fools and they walk a dangerous line. They hide behind laws that they use to push their agenda, but eventually people will get tired of them and their devious tactics and they will pay dearly for their manipulation of liberties for their own personal goals. When that time comes, there will be no law for them to hide behind.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

943 posts, read 782,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

j/k, I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about you YOURSELF actually setting up business there - although you really shouldn't speak for what and who should or could do business in a particular part of town.

And why is that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies