Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, so I'm sitting in an R rated movie, the language was bad...and there was a baby crying in the background...
Mothers and dads with their 4 - 10 year old kids? I could not believe it...the movie was funny, but very bad language...and these parents are dragging in their kids to see the film?????

I swear, you should have to take a test before being allowed to have children?????

and what about the rules that no children under the age of what....12? Why doesn't the theater, do something about it? Ask them to leave, or tell them, no?
Children are also allowed to consume alcohol when in the presence of a consenting parent or guardian, which is certainly more egregious than attending an adult comedy. I agree that parental discretion often leaves much to be desired, but I think that exposure to "grown-up language" in a movie doesn't necessarily warrant the label of a poor parent.

Now, keeping your kids QUIET in the movie theater is a different animal altogether. If your kids are crying or running around screaming while everyone else is trying to enjoy the movie, you should be strung up by the short & curlies. That's just rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I saw the new Batman movie over the weekend. It is a pretty violent movie, and to top that off 2 1/2 hours long. It was interrupted the entire time by someones toddler screeching and crying. I wish they would open 18+ movie theaters in my area. I'd pay a premium for it.

Also, children do not belong in high end adult restaraunts until they can be reasoned with. Don't ruin someone else's $300 meal so you can try to teach your kids manners. Take them to Applebees or the diner.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I saw the new Batman movie over the weekend. It is a pretty violent movie, and to top that off 2 1/2 hours long. It was interrupted the entire time by someones toddler screeching and crying. I wish they would open 18+ movie theaters in my area. I'd pay a premium for it.

Also, children do not belong in high end adult restaraunts until they can be reasoned with. Don't ruin someone else's $300 meal so you can try to teach your kids manners. Take them to Applebees or the diner.
When I saw the dark knight there were some DragonCon nerds with bad attitudes three rows behind me. They were reciting every line as it was said on screen like this was some sort of "Rocky Horror" revival. It was really getting under my skin. I heard the guy behind me having whispered words with them on a number of occasions. Then I heard a splash and much commotion. He had thrown his giant Pepsi over his shoulder at these kids and told them that if they couldn't control their mouths, he couldn't control his arm. Standing ovation as the kids left the movie. That right there was worth the price of admission.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I didn't say any restaurant. most are ok, but a nice place, kids don't belong in. chili's, applebees, outback, those are ok. but a nice place where you have dinner and drinks, no children!
Well I think cranky people without children shouldn't be allowed to go to restaurants

Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM

Let me ask you though, would you remove your child making noise at a fancy restaraunt at 8pm at night, or would you smile and act like it's cute? If you want to bring a child to an upscale enviornment like that, I have no issue actually, if you're willing to remove your child should it become noisy. The problem is the people who don't and think everyone else thinks their child is just as cute as they do.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
if they are cranky and loud, then you are right. if they are cranky and running around screaming and bumping into chairs, then you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well I think cranky people without children shouldn't be allowed to go to restaurants

Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Let me ask you though, would you remove your child making noise at a fancy restaraunt at 8pm at night, or would you smile and act like it's cute? If you want to bring a child to an upscale enviornment like that, I have no issue actually, if you're willing to remove your child should it become noisy. The problem is the people who don't and think everyone else thinks their child is just as cute as they do.
I would definately remove my child from the situation. First of all, we'd be getting a babysitter. But when we are on vacation, we all like to eat out someplace nice, something other than Applebees, which someone said we should be restricted to since we have children.

I also think that people without children have unreasonable expectations of how children should behave. I know, my husband and I were the same way before we had them. We always thought "no way would our kids ever behave like that. Those parents must be awful" when kids are just being normal kids.
That being said, we've brought our children up to behave when we are out in public and they have wonderful manners and we get complimented regularly abuot them. And yes, like I said, if my children behaved out of control, then I'd take them outside. But if they are just enjoying themselves like everyone else in the restaurant (talking and laughing)I let them have a good time.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Oh and to answer your question on R rated movies, never took my kids to one, never thought I was allowed to! (got ot by the assinine comment of kids being banned from restaurants...breath in, breath out....)

And again, we usually only do matinees when kids are there anyway. I wouldn't take my kids to the movies when it's late.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I would definately remove my child from the situation. First of all, we'd be getting a babysitter. But when we are on vacation, we all like to eat out someplace nice, something other than Applebees, which someone said we should be restricted to since we have children.

I also think that people without children have unreasonable expectations of how children should behave. I know, my husband and I were the same way before we had them. We always thought "no way would our kids ever behave like that. Those parents must be awful" when kids are just being normal kids.
That being said, we've brought our children up to behave when we are out in public and they have wonderful manners and we get complimented regularly abuot them. And yes, like I said, if my children behaved out of control, then I'd take them outside. But if they are just enjoying themselves like everyone else in the restaurant (talking and laughing)I let them have a good time.
Talking and laughing at a normal volume is fine. I'm glad you are the type of parent that would remove the child should they become disruptive to other patrons. As long as your children are at the same noise level as everyone else, I could care less. The last time this happened to me, it involved the child letting out a shrill loud scream while banging on the table every few minutes while the parents laughed and encouraged it. This was at a very high-end place in Manhattan.

I ate at nicer places when I was young as well, because my Grandmother would always take us, and she absolutely would not tolerate any acting up.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
you may not agree with it, but many people do. they banned smoking from restaurants, why not children? both are bad for your health.

Quote:
Oh and to answer your question on R rated movies, never took my kids to one, never thought I was allowed to! (got ot by the assinine comment of kids being banned from restaurants...breath in, breath out....)

And again, we usually only do matinees when kids are there anyway. I wouldn't take my kids to the movies when it's late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies