Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Just wondering what else is OK in your book? Is it OK for your kids to run up and down the aisles of a store? Is it OK for them to stand on their seat in a restaurant?

No, it's not. I'd only take my child TO a movie if she was well behaved. Read my post more carefully please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Quote:
I saw a dad bring his 8 yr. old son into a Rob Zombie horror movie a while back. House of 1,000 Corpses. I confronted him in the parking lot asking him why would he take a child to a NC-17 (borderline X). Of course, he yelled an obscenity back at me. I'm usually a pretty easy-going, open-minded person...but see that kid in there really bothered me.
It was none of your business. Why did you feel the need to confront him? Because YOU"RE uncomfortable with it? If you don't like it, fine, but you can't put your beliefs on other people. How do you know the child was 8? He could have been a very small 12. I would have given you some choice words also.
Quote:
yeah, and ya just know, his son will grow up to be just like him...it is a total lack of education....
No, you don't just know. What does education in any way have to do with taking your kid to see a movie that YOU may deem inappropriate? And what do you mean his kid will be just like him? That his kid will grow up using profanity? That statement makes no sense whatsoever.
(As a side note, Rob Zombie movies are a bit extreme for an 8 year old, even if the child specifically requested it)

Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Quote:
I saw a dad bring his 8 yr. old son into a Rob Zombie horror movie a while back. House of 1,000 Corpses. I confronted him in the parking lot asking him why would he take a child to a NC-17 (borderline X). Of course, he yelled an obscenity back at me. I'm usually a pretty easy-going, open-minded person...but see that kid in there really bothered me.

It was none of your business. Why did you feel the need to confront him? Because YOU"RE uncomfortable with it? If you don't like it, fine, but you can't put your beliefs on other people. How do you know the child was 8? He could have been a very small 12. I would have given you some choice words also.

Quote:
yeah, and ya just know, his son will grow up to be just like him...it is a total lack of education....

No, you don't just know. What does education in any way have to do with taking your kid to see a movie that YOU may deem inappropriate? And what do you mean his kid will be just like him? That his kid will grow up using profanity? That statement makes no sense whatsoever.
(As a side note, Rob Zombie movies are a bit extreme for an 8 year old, even if the child specifically requested it)
That's all an entirely different issue.

The real problem that affect other people is when parents bring children to movies and the children are a distraction.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Wow, who is the parent here.
You let your kid do everything s/he wants because they specifically request it?
Just wow.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That's all an entirely different issue.

The real problem that affect other people is when parents bring children to movies and the children are a distraction.
Um, actually the thread title is "Children in an R rated movie" and the original post is as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, so I'm sitting in an R rated movie, the language was bad...and there was a baby crying in the background...
Mothers and dads with their 4 - 10 year old kids? I could not believe it...the movie was funny, but very bad language...and these parents are dragging in their kids to see the film?????

I swear, you should have to take a test before being allowed to have children?????

and what about the rules that no children under the age of what....12? Why doesn't the theater, do something about it? Ask them to leave, or tell them, no?

So it seems the bigger issue at least at the beginning of this discussion was the R rated thing.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Quote:
Wow, who is the parent here.
You let your kid do everything s/he wants because they specifically request it?
Just wow.
My point was that if my child requested to see a movie that I thought he could handle and I had no objection to him watching, then yes, I'd allow him to see a rated R movie. My other point was it would have to be a movie he wanted to see, not one I dragged him into. Now, if my son had specifcally requested to see a Rob Zombie film, then it's not happening. If he had requested to watch a film in the zombie genre, I'd have no problem with it because I say it's ok. You don't have to agree with it or like it. And nowhere did I say I let my child do anything he wants just because he asks, and I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times
Default Thank you for cleaning up her foul language

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Exactly MOD CUT are you talking about? Are you accusing ME of breaking TOS? I am sick to death of your endless insinuations of same against anyone who disagrees with your POV. Continually crying foul for no reason is beginning to look like harassment.

My comment was aimed at--you guessed it--NO ONE IN PARTICULAR. It had everything to do with people I have DIRECTLY OBSERVED. My goodness, that simply could NOT be anyone who posts on this forum, mmkay? Got it? Maybe this will help: And now I'm returning you back to....Ignore.
Mod, Thank you for cleaning up the foul language! We do not need foul language on this forum.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
I believe there need to be rules put in place, why? Because apparently, some parents do not know there are simply some places where it is not appropriate to take children. I believe if a movie is R rated, then no small child should be allowed in. I've been in movies where children cause a disturbance and the parents do not know enough to leave or take the child outside for a walk. And, maybe the kid is saying, mommie, I'm scared, I don't want to be here. Granted, some kids it doesn't bother, but they still don't belong in an R rated movie.

As one of my friends at work always says, when we discuss this issue..."Parents should have to take a test before they have children"

Creme

Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
R rated - Under 17 not admitted without parent or guardian.

It is left up to the parent's discretion as to whether or not they feel that their child is mature enough to see the R rated movie.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
R rated - Under 17 not admitted without parent or guardian.

It is left up to the parent's discretion as to whether or not they feel that their child is mature enough to see the R rated movie.

well Kele, apparently some parents do not possess good common sense, and care more about their entertainment then the child's welfare. I do wish they'd make a law that eliminates this...

Some parents should not be parents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies