U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 AM

28,191 posts, read 43,477,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You realize that, in the book of Leviticus, eating pork is considered just as grave of an abomination (offence against religion) as male homosexuality?
(Lesbianism, oddly enough, is not mentioned in the Bible nor in the Koran, probably because the status of women was so low anyways that women who preferred women were not thought to be a threat.)

Also, the prohibitions against homosexuality in Leviticus are only binding for Jews ; non-Jews are considered exempt from these rules.
And I should clarify that further, by saying it's only binding for Orthodox & Chasidic Jews... the Reform (and most of the Conservative) sect doesn't adhere to these laws, and are very welcoming to homosexuals. In fact, one of the Rabbis at my Temple is a lesbian, with a wife and two adopted kids. And our late Rabbi used to love eating bacon, LOL. The Conservative sect kinda sits on the fence, and basically each Synagogue makes their own general rules. However, with the exception of the UBER religious Temples, they would still welcome anyone to worship... they might feel you are sinning in being homosexual (or whatever "rule" you're breaking), but shouldn't be cruel or hostile toward anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 AM

28,191 posts, read 43,477,322 times
Btw, here's a great website I stumbled across one day...

http://www.gaychristian.net/greatdebate.php

It comes from the perspective of Gay Christians (imagine that! ), which I feel is the most "informed" one can get... they debate both sides of the issue, and intepret the famous Bible passages that are often used. Just thought some of you would find this interesting!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,642,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
the Treaty of Tripoli:
Here we go again with the lame argument of this one mention. Get a grip madicarus, that was small treaty and has no weight. Those that are opposed to God in government have a habit of using this. Do you want to be governed under a "treaty of tripoli"? No thanks, I'll stick to the constitution.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,124,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Here we go again with the lame argument of this one mention. Get a grip madicarus, that was small treaty and has no weight. Those that are opposed to God in government have a habit of using this. Do you want to be governed under a "treaty of tripoli"? No thanks, I'll stick to the constitution.
That’s right, I forgot your inability to see issues beyond your narrow vision. A treaty is an agreement between nations/governments. It is not a law over the citizens of the US. So it didn’t “govern” anyone. Small treaty or not, it has weight in its language on what it explicitly stated and agreed upon by those here during the governments creation. However individuals like you like to throw out that this is “God’s nation” or we’re a “Christian nation” and government was founded on Christian values, but the Senators and President who ratified the treaty all knew and understood that the government was not founded on the Christian religion and they claimed it as such. It’s only a lame argument to those who don’t understand its meaning.

So you want to be governed by the Constitution, so do I. Ok, so I’ll throw out some more mentions for you that we are a secular nation. Where in the Constitution does it state the government is formed by any deity or supreme being, is it in the line “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union... do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”? Hmm, guess not, may it’s in Article VI (that’s Roman numeral 6) which includes the language “but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States”. Hmm, looks like the Founders didn’t want religious test. I wonder why they didn’t want anyone to “prove” their religious affiliation. Wouldn’t a Christian nation want only those that are Christians and so they would need to prove they are?

Looks like we both are governed by the Constitution that left God and religion out of the government.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM

699 posts, read 2,303,181 times
Christianity is such a wonderful, loving religion. Even though an individual is the only one who can know what is in his/her head and what is natural for him/her, the christians want to tell them that they choose to be gay. So christians are psychic on top of all of the other superiority?

In addition to their psychic abilities and in God's name, they lovingly try to exclude gay people from their "institute of marriage". Such an ironic situation they present to us; prohibit sex outside of marriage, then prohibit marriage. That makes sense.

Christians perform all kinds of hateful and violent acts, all in the name of love. What they really are doing is making buddism more attractive.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,184,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Christianity is such a wonderful, loving religion. Even though an individual is the only one who can know what is in his/her head and what is natural for him/her, the christians want to tell them that they choose to be gay. So christians are psychic on top of all of the other superiority?

In addition to their psychic abilities and in God's name, they lovingly try to exclude gay people from their "institute of marriage". Such an ironic situation they present to us; prohibit sex outside of marriage, then prohibit marriage. That makes sense.

Christians perform all kinds of hateful and violent acts, all in the name of love. What they really are doing is making buddism more attractive.
There are those that walk the talk. When I delivered food to AIDS victims for Project Open Hand, there were lots of church vans there with me.

This Phelps or pelps or whatever his name is, with the God hates...etc. stuff...he better hope there's no God! He'll have a lot to answer for. I wonder what Bible he's reading? The Satanic one?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,593 times
You can have your bible I will keep the Constitution of the United States.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:41 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,184,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
You can have your bible I will keep the Constitution of the United States.
There is no conflict.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 AM

1,393 posts, read 870,405 times
QUOTE=PrettyHateMachine;317398]Ah, yes. I would like for my wife to obey me at all times.
Quote:
You can try to find any sick way to interpret the Bible if you are a non-believer or trying to find fault with the Bible. madicarus was using the verse to show women had NO Rights. These verses were meant to show authority for God through man. The Bible tells believers women are responsible to their husbands and the husband is responsible to Christ and Christ is responsible to God. Not, dog commands.
Non-believers will take any strange verse from the Bible and instead of finding the meaning find it easier to deny the Only book that proclaims God's name.
I don't even think you believe this.
Quote:
I wouldn't have stated it if I didn't believe it!!!
Then would it be possible that ppl misinterpret the verses condemning homosexuals? Or are those pretty much black and white?[/quote]
Quote:
You can decide for yourself. Some people like the Bible to read the way they want too see and hear it, and others take it at face value and others decide by not understanding a few parts of the Bible really doesn't over shadow the LOVE Jesus showed that day to his people on the CROSS. If you will look further back on another post I did state if you are comfortable with what you are doing then, live your life. I am not the Judge & Jury!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM

504 posts, read 1,619,593 times
I learned a long time ago that you do the right thing and you do it just because. No fanfare, no saying oh look at me,because its the way you are. Never needed a Bible for that. Homosexuals deserve and have earned equal treatment under the law. My kids who are grown have always realized that same sex people live together as couples and they certainly have never been bothered by it or been diminished morally. Whats the big deal?

My mother who is English told me that Lesbianism didn't exist in England that's why their was no law against it, apparently Queen Victoria refused to believe it of women, may-be that's why the Bible doesn't mention it or the Koran because they didn't think it could exist. You know those woman haters would definitely have made it a law if they thought woman could enjoy themselves without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or