U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 AM

83 posts, read 304,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Well you're right there. Kids are mean to anyone not like them, period. So no matter what an adopted child with gay parents is going to catch some heat in grade school. That's why I really don't LIKE the idea at all, but at the very least gay should not be allowed to adopt same sex children unless there is a blood relation to one parent already.

All I did was MOVE a lot and I caught hell in school when I was a kid. Glad I did, because I can handle certain situations better than most, but nevertheless I caught some crap myself over basically nothing. I can only imagine what a little boy named "Tucker" is going to catch with two guys for parents, lol. Poor hypothetical kid. I feel bad for him already and he's not even real.

-TT
You went through this? Sorry...Must have been hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,368,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
You went through this? Sorry...Must have been hard.
No, just caught some crap for being the "new kid", a lot of kids go through that. No big deal. Like I said, that helped me out later on in life.

I'm a boy though. Yes, it does work, punch out the big kid who's pickin on ya and the rest will fall in line, lol. I assume its a bit more complicated with girls.

...anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM

28,265 posts, read 43,591,695 times
Quote:
I hate to sound like a bigot, cause I'm not, but while I think it might be ok for gays to adopt, they should not adopt same sex children. You need to consider the abuse a boy will suffer in school for having two gay men for parents. The same goes for women and girls. THAT is what makes it wrong. Sometimes you just have to accept reality and think of the children. While it's fine to say "who cares what anyone thinks", you need to consider the emotional health of the children.

-TT
I don't think it makes a difference what gender the kid is... either we allow it, or we don't, and they really can't enforce that type of restriction. Should we not allow white parents to adopt non-white children, simply because they might get teased? It sucks to be given hell in school, but as you mentioned, we all go through it for different reasons. I got teased mercilessly for being chubby, redheaded, freckled, and occasionally for being Jewish. So do you think my parents would've been better off not having me, just to spare me that pain? Sorry, but I'd rather be given a good home, and honestly all that crap made me a stronger & better person. I know a girl who was raised by lesbian parents, and she's the most well-adjusted, confident and sweet person you'll meet! And we were raised in the 70s-80s, before this was an "acceptable" or common practice. I actually think it can have positive effects, since it taught her not to judge or mistreat people... that's one reason I'm so empathetic toward the "underdog", since I know how it feels.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think it makes a difference what gender the kid is... either we allow it, or we don't, and they really can't enforce that type of restriction. Should we not allow white parents to adopt non-white children, simply because they might get teased? It sucks to be given hell in school, but as you mentioned, we all go through it for different reasons. I got teased mercilessly for being chubby, redheaded, freckled, and occasionally for being Jewish. So do you think my parents would've been better off not having me, just to spare me that pain? Sorry, but I'd rather be given a good home, and honestly all that crap made me a stronger & better person. I know a girl who was raised by lesbian parents, and she's the most well-adjusted, confident and sweet person you'll meet! And we were raised in the 70s-80s, before this was an "acceptable" or common practice. I actually think it can have positive effects, since it taught her not to judge or mistreat people... that's one reason I'm so empathetic toward the "underdog", since I know how it feels.
Well there ya go then. Let's let gays adopt all the kids, regardless of what they have to go through. I mean hey, YOU were able to deal with it, so they should have to, right? lol. That's why I have a lot of liberal beliefs, but refuse to call myself a liberal. There is an overwhelming sense of self entitlement coupled with an extreme disregard for the feeling of the majority, no matter the situation.

What most liberals FAIL miserably to realize is that every action has a consequence. Sure, it's downright libby chic to give gays everything they ask for, and I'm sure you might even get a free latte out of it down at the Yellowdog Coffee shop, but the reality is allowing gays to adopt without restriction is irresponsible.

Ultimately, the needs of the child have to come first. There are hundreds of thousands of people who want to adopt, will give good homes, and are NOT gay. Gays should not have the same access to these kids that straight parents have. It's just bad for the child's social and emotional development.

As for the original topic, gay marriage, I'm all for it. I have NO IDEA why conservatives are so against it. If anything is going to calm down a notoriously permiscuous group it will probably be a legal commitment. Nothing keeps people's pants on like the threat of losing half their assets.

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM

699 posts, read 2,306,235 times
"Give gays everything they ask for"??? You mean like basic civil rights, the same rights anyone else has? How dare gay people ask for such things!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
"Give gays everything they ask for"??? You mean like basic civil rights, the same rights anyone else has? How dare gay people ask for such things!
Adopting a child is not a "basic civil right".

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM

9,715 posts, read 12,973,530 times
YapCity,

Considering a lesbian only needs a sperm donor -- and she can have her own child -- how do you propose keeping male babies out of their hands?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:52 PM

699 posts, read 2,306,235 times
Quote:
Adopting a child is not a "basic civil right".

-TT
What do you call it then? I'm not sure why this is even a debate. I know several gay people who have adopted children without any problem. A person's sexuality is not a factor in his/her parenting skills Anyone with clear judgement knows this...it's been debated for years and I thought the debate was over. Some people are still in the dark ages...

Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
YapCity,

Considering a lesbian only needs a sperm donor -- and she can have her own child -- how do you propose keeping male babies out of their hands?
I'm just talking about adoption here, which I would think is a given.

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
What do you call it then? I'm not sure why this is even a debate. I know several gay people who have adopted children without any problem. A person's sexuality is not a factor in his/her parenting skills Anyone with clear judgement knows this...it's been debated for years and I thought the debate was over. Some people are still in the dark ages...
Again, its NOT ABOUT THEM. It's about the CHILD. They may be very good parents, that's not the point. Again, another liberal looking out for the minority group no matter who else it hurts.

.and what is wrong with your thought process that you think taking responsibility of another human being's life is a "basic civil right"? You must be in your early 20's or something.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or