U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 PM

29,629 posts, read 65,711,627 times

Advertisements

What I love about the issue of gay adoptions is the mindset of the "Scranton Effect," which is summarized by "They'll turn the kids gay too!"

I was raised in a very Conservative, narrow-minded household. My parents are both on church council, and my father is probably the only Bush supporter in our entire subdivision, judging by the abundance of Kerry/Edwards and "Bush Must Go" signs during the 2004 election. My dad is the "huntin' and fishin'" type, and my mother is the "brainwashed, repressed" type who hasn't been allowed to form her own political beliefs and has instead relied on my dad to pretty much tell her what to think on political issues. Nevertheless, even in this ultra-straight environment, I turned out to be gay. Who's to say that the adopted products of Liberal gay/lesbian parents won't be straight by the same reasoning? I just don't get it. Are people across the nation that uneducated and idiotic, or is it just, truly, the "Scranton Effect?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 PM

699 posts, read 2,304,179 times
Good point...I hope we are not still arguing that people can't "catch" gay??? I think it's become widely accepted that sexuality is nature, not nurture.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,644,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Good point...I hope we are not still arguing that people can't "catch" gay??? I think it's become widely accepted that sexuality is nature, not nurture.
No matter how anyone tries to package or sugar coat it, the point is it's still wrong, a perversion, and a blight on America. It will never be accepted (period)

Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,481,783 times
Actually, while you may not accept it, I do, and more people are beginning to understand that it is not a perversion, and certainly not an American issue, but a human issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No matter how anyone tries to package or sugar coat it, the point is it's still wrong, a perversion, and a blight on America. It will never be accepted (period)

Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 PM

699 posts, read 2,304,179 times
It's only a perversion because people are TAUGHT that it's a perversion...by society, by parents, by lots of things you see and hear. If you had been taught that it was natural instead of a perversion, the argument wouldn't be necessary. All gay people go through the same issue, because we're taught that it's perverse just like anyone else...so we have to get thru all the guilt and shame before we realize that we're okay - that it's natural to be attracted to someone of the same sex. It's not natural for you Marks, but there is no need to label it a blight or a perversion. You worry about your yard, I'll worry about mine.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM

28,230 posts, read 43,514,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
What I love about the issue of gay adoptions is the mindset of the "Scranton Effect," which is summarized by "They'll turn the kids gay too!"

I was raised in a very Conservative, narrow-minded household. My parents are both on church council, and my father is probably the only Bush supporter in our entire subdivision, judging by the abundance of Kerry/Edwards and "Bush Must Go" signs during the 2004 election. My dad is the "huntin' and fishin'" type, and my mother is the "brainwashed, repressed" type who hasn't been allowed to form her own political beliefs and has instead relied on my dad to pretty much tell her what to think on political issues. Nevertheless, even in this ultra-straight environment, I turned out to be gay. Who's to say that the adopted products of Liberal gay/lesbian parents won't be straight by the same reasoning? I just don't get it. Are people across the nation that uneducated and idiotic, or is it just, truly, the "Scranton Effect?"
I saw a gay comedian doing stand-up (on TV) recently, and they made a joke about that... it went something like, "thanks to the straight couples, for giving us more gay people!" That's the silliest part, that homosexuals come from straight parents (aside from certain situations, like my lesbian friends who got the sperm of a gay male to make their daughter ). So really, the homophobes should blame all straight unions for the continuing "gay trend" - LOL! If every single gay person disappeared tomorrow, we'd just have to welcome a new generation in a few years... and obviously it's 100% possible for ANY parent to produce one.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I wish more non-gay folks who support gay marriages would speak up. I know there are a lot of people out there who aren't gay and maybe aren't even that comfortable with the subject, but are intelligent and understand the discrimination and injustice involved in denying marriage rights to same sex couples. More and more of straight America is starting to get behind marriage rights for everyone, it's just a matter of time.
Amen. Come out here to San Francisco, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a straight person who DOESN'T support gay marriage! My ex-boss told me something funny once - she has a friend who's a gay Republican, and he said people give him much more crap about being Republican... gotta love the Bay Area.

If votes on this issue were left to each county, rather than the entire state, it would already be legal here (it was rejected on a ballot once, but only because of the non-SF & LA residents). When we're rid of Ahhnold, the next Governor will likely make sure it finally gets legalized statewide.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
That's YOUR opinion, which obviously many do not share - thank goodness. Everyone has their own idea of what's "perverted", which is our right, but that shouldn't have anything to do with governmental laws. Do you know what every straight couple does in their bedroom? Because I'm sure if you did, there would be lots of "perverted" acts to comment on... For instance, it's not uncommon these days for straight couples to have a threesome, which usually includes same-sex intimacy. How do you feel about that? Should people who practice this act be banned from marriage too??

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,955,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I once read a article about a couple who adopted a black young boy,they cared for him well,seemed to install good ethical beliefs in him,made sure he went school,the couple also said in the article that they would have their kid spend a certain amount of time with female friends of theirs because they said they though it was important to have a female role model involved in the boys life as well.Seems to me they had the best in mind for the boy,much like most parents do.Im have faith the boy will grow up to be a good citizen.
I think most gay parents (along with single parents) realize it is good for kids to have a role model of the opposite sex.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,644,828 times
Again, no matter how anyone tries to package or sugar coat it, the point is it's still wrong, a perversion, and a blight on America. It will never be accepted (period) Y'all will just need to understand that. And believe me you will if not in this life then in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or