Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM

753 posts, read 756,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
It's simple - if you don't agree with same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. Now who doesn't get it??
I see your point. If you don't agree with illegal immigrants, don't be an illegal immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,295,006 times
Quote:
My point is...so many Americans are caught up in other people's business. It's just plain nosey and intrusive...they need to concentrate on their own marriage and keep it out of divorce court.
While I agree with you on both points, I still think it is important to allow for moral beliefs in creating and changing laws.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
My point is...so many Americans are caught up in other people's business. It's just plain nosey and intrusive...they need to concentrate on their own marriage and keep it out of divorce court.
We're all in each others business, where have you been? I don't see the sense in parking meters, getting in line at the supermarket, and not screaming obscenities at politicians, yet our nosey & intrusive society enforces rules of behavior on us.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,171 times
Well of course hairdressers are in everybody's business...I personally have my own business to keep me interested, so I stay out of things that don't concern me. Supermarket lines...necessity. Parking Meters...it's the citie's business if you're parking in the city. Screaming obscenities at anyone, not just politicians...insane, or at least rude and uncalled for. *******s trying to tell me who I can marry and who I can't...*******s in my business.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Well of course hairdressers are in everybody's business...I personally have my own business to keep me interested, so I stay out of things that don't concern me. Supermarket lines...necessity. Parking Meters...it's the citie's business if you're parking in the city. Screaming obscenities at anyone, not just politicians...insane, or at least rude and uncalled for. *******s trying to tell me who I can marry and who I can't...*******s in my business.
One needs a license to marry, so it is everyone's business, sorry.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:09 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,364,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
One needs a license to marry, so it is everyone's business, sorry.
Just because you need a license doesnt mean it's "everybody's" business. It doesnt give me the right or authority to look into someon'es marriage and see if they are doing anything objectionable. If my neighbor has to get a license for their animal, it doesnt make it my business to see how they are treating their animal. A license, in and of itself, doesnt make it "everyone's" business. Assuming you are required to be a licensed hairdresser, does that make it my business?

Yes, we can regulate and issue licenses to those who meet the minimum requirement for the license. So if we’re going to use the government authority to define “who†can marry by issuance of a license, why do we have to stop there. I want people to only marry if they will procreate. I want proof that the marriage was consumated, video is preferred, please use good lighting. I want to revoke the license for infidelity. I want to revoke the license if children are not present within a certain timeframe. I want to ban the issuance of additional licenses if you wish to re-marry. I want penalties to be made when you divorce. Let’s not stop at the “one man one woman†definition, let’s go all the way and limit it some more. It’s already been proven that the “one man one woman†requirement isnt working by the divorce rate, so let’s keep going and making more limits until the divorce rate is at an acceptable single digit percentage rate.

Ok, I’m done with the rant.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 PM

You need a license to drive a car, but it's nobody's business what kind of car you choose to drive...or what color it is...or how often you drive it...etc.

Oh yeah, and what madicarus2000 said about the consumation video requirement...I'm all for that...

Old 01-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Just because you need a license doesnt mean it's "everybody's" business. It doesnt give me the right or authority to look into someon'es marriage and see if they are doing anything objectionable. If my neighbor has to get a license for their animal, it doesnt make it my business to see how they are treating their animal. A license, in and of itself, doesnt make it "everyone's" business. Assuming you are required to be a licensed hairdresser, does that make it my business?
Elected authorities regulate and grant licenses. So long as we live in a representative democracy, yes it is everyone's business. The people are ultimately responsible for the laws regulating licensure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Yes, we can regulate and issue licenses to those who meet the minimum requirement for the license. So if we’re going to use the government authority to define “who” can marry by issuance of a license, why do we have to stop there. I want people to only marry if they will procreate. I want proof that the marriage was consumated, video is preferred, please use good lighting. I want to revoke the license for infidelity. I want to revoke the license if children are not present within a certain timeframe. I want to ban the issuance of additional licenses if you wish to re-marry. I want penalties to be made when you divorce. Let’s not stop at the “one man one woman” definition, let’s go all the way and limit it some more. It’s already been proven that the “one man one woman” requirement isnt working by the divorce rate, so let’s keep going and making more limits until the divorce rate is at an acceptable single digit percentage rate.
I think we're both agreed that laws are ultimately abstractions. We as a society agree on limits, and set them. Take the age of adulthood. Can you tell me why, definitively, the age of 18 should generally be accepted as the age of adulthood?

So you make your point above by taking my limit and push it to the extremes of absurdity. We can do the same with your limit. So if marriage is something that can be arbitrarily entered into by anyone, and isn't anyone's business, why not polygamy? Why not child marriage? Why not the profoundly retarded? Why not allow men to marry hedgehogs? Why not allow marriage of the unborn? If it's not society's business, who are we to say who can get married and who can't?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,184,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
I see your point. If you don't agree with illegal immigrants, don't be an illegal immigrant.
That was good!! How come others don't understand? You just made it so easy!!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 PM

If you don't agree with abortion...don't have one! Life is so simple in my kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies