U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
 
919 posts, read 1,670,676 times
Reputation: 478

Advertisements

abortion? save for another thread. I would like to hear from gay marriage supporter if they agree to having two wives is OK. they say I cant show my wedding nite of the pet sheep. kidding just kidding, on my 2nd glass of wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Reputation: 18800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
abortion? save for another thread. I would like to hear from gay marriage supporter if they agree to having two wives is OK. they say I cant show my wedding nite of the pet sheep. kidding just kidding, on my 2nd glass of wine.
I would absolutely support polygamy, if all parties involved were consenting adults & aware of the situation. Why not?? If a man/woman can handle the stress of two+ spouses, more power to them. Many people already live in similar arrangements, so I don't really care if they get married or not...

As for sheep, you can marry them too, once they gain the ability to sign a marriage contract and say "I do"... or "baaaaa do", I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Reputation: 18800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
While I agree with you on both points, I still think it is important to allow for moral beliefs in creating and changing laws.
As I said in my other post, if we allow morals to influence laws, every issue will be caught up in debates for YEARS. This is because everyone has a different idea of what's "moral", and there will always be people on opposing sides. I don't think there's anything immoral about homosexuality, especially compared to things straight people do (in bed & otherwise)... so according to me, there's no reason to make gay marriage illegal, but I'm sure plenty of people would disagree. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Reputation: 18800
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
So you make your point above by taking my limit and push it to the extremes of absurdity. We can do the same with your limit. So if marriage is something that can be arbitrarily entered into by anyone, and isn't anyone's business, why not polygamy? Why not child marriage? Why not the profoundly retarded? Why not allow men to marry hedgehogs? Why not allow marriage of the unborn? If it's not society's business, who are we to say who can get married and who can't?
First of all, "profoundly retarded" people are allowed to get married... trust me, I have inside knowledge on this subject. As for polygamy, see my message above, which states why I'd support it. And with animals & children, sex with them is illegal, since they aren't able to consent or enter into a contract... sex with an ADULT of any gender isn't illegal (at least not in most places), so therefore it's a completely unrelated issue. Here we go with the famous "slippery slope" argument, which has too many holes to hold water, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
699 posts, read 2,305,932 times
Reputation: 288
If you don't agree with polygamy....don't marry them!

If you don't agree with __________, don't ________!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,970,628 times
Reputation: 3315
I might be going out on a limb here -- but I think marriage should be confined to human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 23,033,012 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I would absolutely support polygamy, if all parties involved were consenting adults & aware of the situation. Why not?? If a man/woman can handle the stress of two+ spouses, more power to them. Many people already live in similar arrangements, so I don't really care if they get married or not...

As for sheep, you can marry them too, once they gain the ability to sign a marriage contract and say "I do"... or "baaaaa do", I guess.
The problem with polygamy is that coercion, force, and abuse often go along with it, as demonstrated in Muslim countries in the Middle East and South Asia, and in the fundie Mormon settlements of Arizona and Utah. Since people do get hurt by polygamy, I don't think it's a good idea to actually legalize it. (OTOH, nobody is hurt by same sex marriage).

As for sheep, maybe in New Zealand....):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
 
743 posts, read 1,153,487 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said in my other post, if we allow morals to influence laws, every issue will be caught up in debates for YEARS. ...
So I see are a regular c-span viewer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2007, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Reputation: 18800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
So I see are a regular c-span viewer
Um, nope... never watched c-span, other than maybe flipping past & stopping for a minute or two. How does it relate to what I said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2007, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Reputation: 18800
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The problem with polygamy is that coercion, force, and abuse often go along with it, as demonstrated in Muslim countries in the Middle East and South Asia, and in the fundie Mormon settlements of Arizona and Utah. Since people do get hurt by polygamy, I don't think it's a good idea to actually legalize it. (OTOH, nobody is hurt by same sex marriage).

As for sheep, maybe in New Zealand....):
LOL (about the sheep part).

As for the rest of your comment, I'm not saying that polygamy should be legal, but I wouldn't be against it either... if, like I said, they are consenting and aware of the marriage. And we all know that "normal" marriages often lead to infidelity and divorce, so is that a reason to disallow them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top