Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Those dam Republicans need to be flawless heroes of America like the Democrats.
Republicans and their many poorly-informed supporters need to drop the schlock and get back to actual work and debate over addressing the nation's needs. Thanks in large part to these past eight years, those needs are great. The role of high school football game cheerleader has meanwhile already been filled. Are there any other roles that you think you could play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
At bare minimum, at least require the speculators take delivery of the oil as was required before 2003. That way, investors and big banks like Goldman Sachs wont be able to hoard oil futures artificially driving the price up.
LOL. Yes, that's an option, but a somehwat crude one (no pun intended). But it does offer a chance to point out that about two-thirds of all crude oil inventory is now controlled by speculators -- those who neither produce oil nor produce anything from it. They are in the oil markets simply in hopes of realizing a financial gain from buying and later flipping oil futures contracts at a profit...a profit that can only be assured by continually rising prices, something that market-makers can almost guaranty in an unregulated market. These folks don't much care what their actions might mean for you or me or for the economy. They just want to make their money and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. Traditionally, speculators have held one-third or less of all inventory, but thanks in large part to the Enron Loophole, that share has more than doubled as investors have fled from asset-backed securities markets and begun playing around instead with the stuff that you and I need in order to drive around and make a living. Republicans in Congress are currently fighting to protect this little financial shell game...at the expense of the rest of us. Thanks, Republicans...

Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Politicians on both sides of the aisle are undeniably self important quasi-corrupt azzhats....but that said, does anyone know of the Republicans pulling a stunt like this when they were majority? Anyone at all?
A stunt? The August recess is an annual entry on the Congressional calendar. Everyone who was paying any attention at all has known exactly when it was coming since the middle of last year. To refresh your apparently very short-term memory...

109th (Republican) Congress --
First Session (2005): August 1 to September 5 [Recess]
Second Session (2006): August 7 to September 4 [Recess]

Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You really never have anything other than elitist drivel to spout, and your attempts to belittle other posters to make your own views seem more valid are nothing short of funny.
Ah, elitist drivel. How cute. I guess this is your current buzzword for arguments that you unable otherwise to challenge. All I belittle in other posters are the events of their paucity of actual information and use of tragically flawed logic. I otherwise have nothing against any of them. As for my own views, I base those on facts as I observe them from the vantage point of living and working in this environment every day. For more than three decades. I was last on the Hill in person on Wednesday. How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
5 weeks is a long time, no matter how you slice it. Especially when pressing matters are left on the table. 5 weeks at a time is not necessary to stay in touch with their districts.
Five weeks is not sufficient. That is why there are several other District work recesses in the Congressional calendar. Plus or minus, the last week of each month that Congress is in session is given over to this purpose. Didn't know that, did you? Meanwhile, how much vacation time will you be taking this summer? How much do you think your elected representatives should be able to take?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
Which wouldnt be so funny except Willim J Clinton is the presidential signature at the bottom of that bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL. Yes, that's an option, but a somehwat crude one (no pun intended). But it does offer a chance to point out that about two-thirds of all crude oil inventory is now controlled by speculators -- those who neither produce oil nor produce anything from it. They are in the oil markets simply in hopes of realizing a financial gain from buying and later flipping oil futures contracts at a profit...a profit that can only be assured by continually rising prices, something that market-makers can almost guaranty in an unregulated market. These folks don't much care what their actions might mean for you or me or for the economy. They just want to make their money and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. Traditionally, speculators have held one-third or less of all inventory, but thanks in large part to the Enron Loophole, that share has more than doubled as investors have fled from asset-backed securities markets and begun playing around instead with the stuff that you and I need in order to drive around and make a living. Republicans in Congress are currently fighting to protect this little financial shell game...at the expense of the rest of us. Thanks, Republicans...

Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,973 times
I think they all pretty much stink, and are out of touch with what the real world is experiencing during these difficult economic times.

I seem to remember at least one other brief recess earlier in the year. All in all, they probably take off as much time as Europeans, you cannot compare their time off with the average American.

I wonder if they factor in siesta during the days they do work.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Which wouldnt be so funny except Willim J Clinton is the presidential signature at the bottom of that bill
Yes, as of December 21, 2000, a date that followed extended telephone conversations between top Enron officials and Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX and Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee) which led the latter to revive a trading bill he had put a hold on, insert the Enron loophole to exempt a new Enron on-line futures market from oversight and regulation, attach a new number to the revised bill, schedule it through to a vote without debate, pass it, and then attach it to a much needed appropriations bill.

Then, using that loophole market as an important tool, Enron proceeded to bilk California eletricity consumers out of some $40 billion. At the time, Mrs. Phil Gramm (Wendy) was a member of Enron's Board of Directors.

Now former Sen. Phill Gramm is currently the chief economic advisor to...John McCain.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Republicans and their many poorly-informed supporters need to drop the schlock and get back to actual work and debate over addressing the nation's needs. Thanks in large part to these past eight years, those needs are great. The role of high school football game cheerleader has meanwhile already been filled. Are there any other roles that you think you could play?
The Democrats are no better than the Republicans so don't even go there. Don't be so ignorant to think Democrat supporters are so highly informed, and there party is going to come riding in on white horses to address all the nations needs. If so you need a dose of reality.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
Werent you in another thread supporting the passage of bills without debate? And i laugh at Californiea, those folk deserve everything they got

Quote:
Yes, as of December 21, 2000, a date that followed extended telephone conversations between top Enron officials and Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX and Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee) which led the latter to revive a trading bill he had put a hold on, insert the Enron loophole to exempt a new Enron on-line futures market from oversight and regulation, attach a new number to the revised bill, schedule it through to a vote without debate, pass it, and then attach it to a much needed appropriations bill.

Then, using that loophole market as an important tool, Enron proceeded to bilk California eletricity consumers out of some $40 billion. At the time, Mrs. Phil Gramm (Wendy) was a member of Enron's Board of Directors.

Now former Sen. Phill Gramm is currently the chief economic advisor to...John McCain.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
I seem to remember at least one other brief recess earlier in the year. All in all, they probably take off as much time as Europeans, you cannot compare their time off with the average American.
They work part-time in Washington and part-time in their home states and districts. Work in their home states and districts does not count as time off. It is true that you cannot compare the hours worked by a Senator or Congressperson to those worked by the average American worker because the hours worked by the former are so much larger than those that are worked by the latter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies