Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
USPS Rolls Over in Negotiations -- Again : LexingtonInstitute.org

Kev K,

I thought you were a pro union guy based on your other thread? Don't you know why it is a 6 day week? OVERTIME!

You'll have to break the union to get mail delivery less frequently.
I don't think they get OT for Saturday. Probably just another day off during the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I want to know why there is no mail on Sundays. Is that a religion thing? And why should OT be an issue? People work different schedules. I'd also like to know why an inability to correlate the numbers on the envelope with the numbers on the building is not a fireable offense.
My neighbor is with the USPS and gets overtime almost every week. I guess thay are so poorly managed and there is no incentive to cut costs. Just raise the price of postage and all the monetary problems are gone.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Is There Any Reason We Need Mail 6 Days?
I go to my mail box every other day. If they only delivered 5 days a week it would screw up my system and I'd never figure out my when to go. It's too hard to divide 5 by 3 and make it work out evenly.

Seriously, I could live with 4 day a week delivery. I get about 2-3 bills every 2 weeks. Most statements are on line and if I mail something I just drop it at the local post office.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Many businesses operate 7 days a week - mail is necessary - it is communications -

6 day a week mail - 7 if you include Express Mail - leave it alone

Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
IMO, I think the postoffice is doing a pretty good job of delivering the mail in my area. Cutting back on one day wouldn’t hurt me however it may not reduce costs. The volume of mail requires the same or more manpower to process and deliver even if there is one day less, that’s a lot of manpower that isn’t working at moving the mail. The employees would continue to want their same salaries and probably get it, work 32 and paid 40 hrs.

Reducing the amount of gas used will save money, and the best way to do that is to get the letter carrier out of the motorized vehicles and put them on bicycles in those areas that would allow this type of delivery. Most of my area could be done on bicycles if you can get the carrier into the area of their route. This however isn’t feasible everywhere in the country.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Many businesses operate 7 days a week - mail is necessary - it is communications -

6 day a week mail - 7 if you include Express Mail - leave it alone
That's justifiable, but what about residential service? I get about 3 pieces of valid mail every month. The rest of the time the mail deliverer is busy stuffing my mailbox with glossy ads and junk mail I never look at. Sometimes I don't check my mailbox for 2 weeks and it's just packed with junk.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Lets cut it down to 5 days. Maybe we can stop making pennys and nickels too.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Residential should be 5 days.

Even businesses should be 5 days, if businesses really need something, they go with someone else anyway.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is a question I have wondered about for years and that is why do we have mail 6 days a week? In these days of smaller volume because of the internet and on line bill payment, why does the post office burn millions of gallons of gas every Saturday to deliver mail? And then they raise rates to pay for it! Is this really necessary? Is there anybody that would miss getting mail on Saturday?
Before you start hacking services, you should understand that the majority of the Post Office's costs are for processing, handling and delivering "bulk mail" aka "junk mail."

If you live in an MSA with a population greater than 1 Million, you probably have 1 to 3 facilities that do nothing but process and handle junk mail.

An elegant solution would be a Do Not Mail List, just like a Do Not Call List, except the Do Not Mail List removes your name from junk mail and you don't get any any more.

The cost-saving would allow the Postal Service to purchase new vehicles that run on bio-diesel or propane/butane or natural gas, and that would save even more money for them (and specifically address your concerns about wasting gasoline).

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Just imagine how much more they would save by not having saturday deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies