Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Funny you should mention,I think some more little kids were just hurt here recently
I don't think my age has anything to do with it,it's just that- a generalization from my 37 years of observing.
I didn't say just because city people don't take the time to stop and talk that they're rude,that's a generalization in itself.
I'm stating that in my personal experiences since living in the city that the people I've encountered tended to be what I said- arrogant and combative. So it's more than just 'running into people',I deal with this on a daily basis.
Whereas in the rest of the 37 years I don't recall ever having this much difficulty with people.
I can see no matter what anyone says...you're resigned to your opinion...and that's fine. You just made a lot of leaps in your comments and a lot of generalizations, but maybe that's been your experience. Of course...ever stop to think that maybe it's just you?

I've lived in or close to a major city my whole life and never had the same experiences with so-called city people. What I have noticed is that people who live in the rural areas often perceive arrogance where none exists, due to their lack of experience with the culture in the city. I have also found that folks from rural areas have trouble adjusting to city life in some cases and may attribute that to others when it's really their issue. It's also true that so called country folks sometimes feel that their way of life is superior or more moral, and that can color their view of the suburbs and cities.

I'm not saying that's your view, but it's a look from the other side of the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Of course...ever stop to think that maybe it's just you?

I've lived in or close to a major city my whole life and never had the same experiences with so-called city people. What I have noticed is that people who live in the rural areas often perceive arrogance where none exists, due to their lack of experience with the culture in the city. I have also found that folks from rural areas have trouble adjusting to city life in some cases and may attribute that to others when it's really their issue. It's also true that so called country folks sometimes feel that their way of life is superior or more moral, and that can color their view of the suburbs and cities.
Yes I always stop to think and no it's not just me,although I seem to be in the minority most of the time.
So you're saying that if you experienced what I have,people being argumentative and self-righteous for example,you wouldn't consider that a bit arrogant?
As far as country folks 'perception',perhaps they just may be less callous than others and more sensitive to picking up these nuances.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Generally speaking (there are exceptions of course) cities breed a culture of dependence (and support for big government as a result) and ignorance about many things pertaining to survival, such as food/etc., whereas the country tends to have one of independence.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
So you're saying that if you experienced what I have,people being argumentative and self-righteous for example,you wouldn't consider that a bit arrogant?
It depends on the specifics of the discussion, but probably not. This is the same discussion that I've had (and has been debated in these forums) regarding southerners and northerners.

I grew up in NY and lived up north most of my life. I now live in the Atlanta area, and I went to college here in the 1980s. Some southerners mistake the direct communication style of folks from the northeast as "rudeness" or "arrogance". Southerners and especially those from the rural south have a much more nuanced and subtle communication style. They may beat around the bush more and although they feel the same way as someone from the northeast, the southerner may not come right out and tell you...or they'll sugar coat it. The "Yankee" may tell you like it is, whether or not you want to hear. Is that arrogance or is it just that you don't want to hear it?

Some of it also has to do with having thinner or thicker skin based on experience and upbringing. I think folks from rural areas may have thinner skin and may respond more easily to something that is never intended to be rude.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 199,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Generally speaking (there are exceptions of course) cities breed a culture of dependence (and support for big government as a result) and ignorance about many things pertaining to survival, such as food/etc., whereas the country tends to have one of independence.

I think there are lots of welfare rural people, I remember reading it about one time

also most of the "rich" people live in cities , so not sure what you are trying to say

Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The "Yankee" may tell you like it is, whether or not you want to hear. Is that arrogance or is it just that you don't want to hear it?
Actually I'm usually the one who tells it like it is and thus I get arguments from those who don't necessarily have any valid point but just seem to be in the habit of automatically rebelling...
But since you brought up the regional thing and the more I've been thinking about it,maybe it is just my area. Although I'm sure there's exceptions more than the rule in other cities.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep-blue-water View Post
I think there are lots of welfare rural people, I remember reading it about one time

also most of the "rich" people live in cities , so not sure what you are trying to say
I wasn't talking about money.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 PM

85 posts, read 199,310 times
What were you talking about then?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM

74 posts, read 138,613 times
Quote:
I think I remember a similar thread way back but I couldn't find much in search.
I have to address something and I'm sure I'll get flamed but it has to be asked-

What is your opinion on city people versus country people?

In my experiences I've found city people for the most part to be arrogant and self-righteous,among other things with not many positives...versus country people who you can hardly find any bad with.
In general country people are known to be more genuine,QUIETER,would give you the shirt off their back,etc.

I know there are exceptions,but to me this has been the rule.
Most city people are liberals [including uppity ghetto negroes], most country folks are Conservatives [and white].

God Bless Country Folks!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleeBob View Post
Most city people are liberals [including uppity ghetto negroes]
I didn't want to say anything but last nite when I was at the store I was thinking about the arrogance thing and I was reminded of a few more types...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies