U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,024,178 times

Advertisements

Have you all noticed the recent issues where famous people have made remarks off the top of their heads and now they are being "counseled" for it? Not too long ago it was Michael Richards (from Seinfeld) and how he told off the blacks that disrupted his stand-up show. Now a guy from Grey's Anatomy is being given counseling because of a gay remark he said.

How insane is all this? I can't believe that we have become so politically correct that if someone in the spotlight says something not politically correct they are being made to apologize and get counseling. It's absolutely ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Have you all noticed the recent issues where famous people have made remarks off the top of their heads and now they are being "counseled" for it? Not too long ago it was Michael Richards (from Seinfeld) and how he told off the blacks that disrupted his stand-up show. Now a guy from Grey's Anatomy is being given counseling because of a gay remark he said.

How insane is all this? I can't believe that we have become so politically correct that if someone in the spotlight says something not politically correct they are being made to apologize and get counseling. It's absolutely ridiculous!
I ain't buyin' it. When you use the 'N' Word and call someone a F-A-G, and make direct connotations to hanging a peoples from a tree. You've got to be kidding me! If you ever told a person of non-white decent this, they could be painfully hurt by your lack of tolerance.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,024,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I ain't buyin' it. When you use the 'N' Word and call someone a F-A-G, and make direct connotations to hanging a peoples from a tree. You've got to be kidding me! If you ever told a person of non-white decent this, they could be painfully hurt by your lack of tolerance.
Painfully hurt by something someone says? Ever hear of sticks and stones? A strong person is not hurt by what people like that say. Give me a break, it's garbage. Ever listen to all the rappers talk their crap about white people? I don't hear anything about those people being counseled because they say that stuff. It's only white people that it happens to. In this country you can bad mouth white people all you want but if you bad mouth any minority group all hel l breaks loose. Nuts.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,469,856 times
Quote:
What I find insane is that we, as a society, have become so rude and so uncivil that this is even an issue.

What ever happened to common courtesy?

"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."

-Thumper

Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,183,460 times
What that guy said wasn't unPC...it was some really ugly racist tripe. He was being heckled because he wasn't funny.

And, such behavior isn't a disease to be "treated", it's indicative of a character flaw.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
What that guy said wasn't unPC...it was some really ugly racist tripe. He was being heckled because he wasn't funny.

And, such behavior isn't a disease to be "treated", it's indicative of a character flaw.
Yes.
And I think a lot of this counseling and rehab stuff is a bit bogus--it's a way deflect public condemnation and hide out for awhile.
Michael Richards will probably never make that mistake again, but the damage is done.
Mel Gibson isn't going to change his inner anti-semitic thoughts. He's just going to make an effort to quit getting drunk and ugly in public.
Mark Foley is probably not really an alcoholic--rehab is just a way to get out of the public eye.

A lot of tasteless, nasty stuff going on recently--and probably in the past. It's just that that these days, cellphones and movie cameras are recording all this bad behavior for posterity.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM

196 posts, read 691,220 times
We're all being caught up in rudeness and not respecting others ............

Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,183,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yes.
And I think a lot of this counseling and rehab stuff is a bit bogus--it's a way deflect public condemnation and hide out for awhile.

It's like some kind of secular religious ceremony.

It's not unprecedented in American life. During the '50s, it was OK to have been a communist, as long as you a) said repeatedly what a terrible mistake you'd made, and b) cooperated with the committee by naming names.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
If you ever told a person of non-white decent this, they could be painfully hurt by your lack of tolerance.
What this says is insulting words directed at whites is ok.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
What this says is insulting words directed at whites is ok.
I am white, my ancestors were on the Mayflower. It's exposing personal awareness of politically incorrect statements and their consequences! Does it say that?! Look at it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or