Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,726,930 times

Advertisements

Call your congressmen, tell them to support this!!!

YouTube - DeMint on American Energy Freedom Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,819,082 times
IF we drill offshore, when will the product come to market? Refineries are running at near maximum, gas line delivery systems are filled and pushing to maximum use of moving the product to the markets around the country. So what refineries are will provide the gas?

Most important ~ will this oil even stay in America? My understanding is that oil from the north slope of Alaska is carried in the pipeline and shipped to Japan to meet their needs. Oil is sold on the open market and offshore oil may never be used in America by Americans.

I’m for energy freedom,,, but I’d prefer to see something that is “renewable” produced here and used here. Jobs, industry, and service of renewable energy in America for Americans makes more sense then drilling today for oil that is sold on the open market to offshore countries that will refine ten years from now.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
I only wish they had drilled 10 years ago and we could be tapping into that fuel right now. 10 years from now, I wonder if we'll be saying the same thing just in case, let's drill it.

Point being, even if we can't benefit from it right now, let's get the ball rolling. On our own oil AND alternatives. Why not?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:09 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Prudhoe Bay oil is required by law to be refined and sold in the United States. It is not shipped to Japan. I can only hope that any new oil discovered within our borders would be subject to similar constraints. Refinery, pipeline and electric transmission line facilities should be subject to expedited environmental reviews and free from some of the constraints of the endangered species act. This expedited review should apply to new nuclear as well as wind and solar electric plants. I am concerned about the environment but protecting the habitat of the Snail Darter is simply not as important as building a secure domestic energy infrastructure. Indulgences like endless wars like Iraq and likely Iran are also luxuries we cannot afford no matter how devastating the loss of profits to the “American” international oil companies. We cannot afford to get into resource wars any more.

The costs of restructuring our energy economy and rebuilding the infrastructure ignored by neocon administrations will cost all of us some of our lifestyle. Weather we want to do this or not are pretty much irrelevant. We must do these things if we want to remain a prosperous and politically free republic.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM

I agree; but sometimes I think environmentalists actually would like human beings to be on the endangered species list, rather than endanger the dirt shrew for the sake of some worthless human need...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,726,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
IF we drill offshore, when will the product come to market? Refineries are running at near maximum, gas line delivery systems are filled and pushing to maximum use of moving the product to the markets around the country. So what refineries are will provide the gas?

Most important ~ will this oil even stay in America? My understanding is that oil from the north slope of Alaska is carried in the pipeline and shipped to Japan to meet their needs. Oil is sold on the open market and offshore oil may never be used in America by Americans.

I’m for energy freedom,,, but I’d prefer to see something that is “renewable” produced here and used here. Jobs, industry, and service of renewable energy in America for Americans makes more sense then drilling today for oil that is sold on the open market to offshore countries that will refine ten years from now.
Build more refineries, will put more people to work. Even if it takes a few years to get to market more people will have jobs, it will get to market, and at least some of the money is coming back here and less is going to the middle east. Of course alternative energy is the future but it's not an overnight switch and will take years to build a robust enough solution to implement. Everyone is saying just implement the alternatives instead of drilling but nobody is saying how.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
If you believe that if we allow drilling we will see lower prices then you must also believe in Santa Claus. Our ability to refine is extremely limited as we haven't built a new refinery in ages and we have too few to handle the job. Like Alaska the Oil we produce is largely sold to other countries.
The reality is we need to remove ourselves from the fossil fuel demand. we can make electric cars, we can generate energy from wind and solar. Those are the solutions to be free from Saudi oil. Oil is a finite resource it will run out be it 10 years or 40 years it will run oout and as those supplies dwindle the price will only go one direction, up. We are at a point where we can free ourselves or move towards a means to distabilize the nation and the world. Brazil cut their ties, we can too but in a way that will make more sense. We will increase the number of jobs and we will move them from one industry to another.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM

If this is all true, why aren't we energy independent now?

What kind of solar power or ethanol or fuel cell is going to make my furnace run? Light my grill?

Make my car bring me to work?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
If this is all true, why aren't we energy independent now?
Because no one is capable of understanding that energy and fuel are not synonymous.

And because no one is capable of understanding that only 60% of the imported oil is used for fuel. The other 40% is used for "your way of life."

You can become "energy independent" the second you become willing to live the same life-style as your grandparents and great-grandparents.

Trust me, no one will die if people have to use cloth diapers, or powdered laundry detergent or your choice of a few hundred microwaveable foods are reduced to a handful of items because all the garbage in your grocer's freezer cases contain artificial flavors and colorings made from organic chemicals refined from light crude oil.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Ahhh, and I didn't even think to mention all the petroleum-based plastics we use every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies