Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 19,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgos View Post
LOLOLOL what a punch of garbage. Well...the only time my nose gets that long is when i lie like Pinoccio...LOLOL
A punch of garbage? In order to discredit an opinion I'd recommend a more elaborated replay, otherwise the only laughable sentence here is yours. And with all respects, who cares about your nose, sir? Let me tell you I wasn't talking about it. Regards.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Elfyum: I am GLAD that you DO NOT represent all Americans but you certainly make it seem (by what you say) you seem to confirm the European view here that Americans are just stupid. I dare you to come to Spain and tell us we are not white...it would be funny to see the reaction.

Let me remind you of something: in USA, Spaniards ARE considered white. Look it up on the census and stop trolling. I am a Spaniard and MANY people in my family are blonde and blue eyes (not that this is an indicator of exclusive whiteness) as if you knew the definition of "white" you would not waste our time trolling.

Second, there are actually more non-whites in USA than in many Spanish-speaking countries.

And now a statement to anglo americans:

"Hispanic" is not a race, it is a culture, a very, very broad culture which includes white, black, mestizo, and Indian. It's like if we said "american" was a race. I will LOVE to see your face when Obama wins the elections...because everyone in Europe is laughing about the fact that Americans will have a black president (I don't have a problem with the race, although I would NEVER vote for Obama...Mccain will get my vote as I have dual Spain/US citizenship).

"Latino" refers to Latin Americans but it is NOT an indicator of race.

You say you're not racist: I agree...you're ignorant and stupid and stereotypically American. By the way: I was BORN in the US and I NO LONGER live there because 1) I never felt American as my parents are from Spain and 2) I left...so don't even think about telling me "go back to Spain then" because I did just that.

And if you're so "anti" hispanic, why don't you lobby Congress to pass more laws to restrict immigration? Look! Here in Spain we have the same sort of issues: a lot of Latin Americans from Ecuador are coming in and many people here aren't happy about that because, yes, just like in the US, it has become a racial issue: many people here feel uncomfortable with people of different races (EVEN if they speak Spanish). South Americans do not feel welcome here except most Argentinians (who classify as white) and some older Cubans, who are also white.

As for the rest of what you say, it's not worth our time. You should go back to school, learn some history and anthropology and maybe, just maybe, you might even learn how to use your own language correctly.

And if you want the definition of "white"...look it up on wiki, it includes Spain and, gasp!, French people (ethnically French, not ethnic French!)...so according to your definition, to your stupid and ignorant definition, "only English speakers" are white: so Germans aren't white? Ha!

Dutch aren't white? Ha!
Scandinavians aren't white? Ha!
French aren't white? Ha!

Keep making us laugh. Don't you have other things to do in the trailer? Too much free time these days and too much welfare.

ps: Soju: you're right...most Americans don't even know where or what Spain is...they just say "oh latino" hahaha they are hilarious! When American tourists come to Spain they expect it to be like a third world Mexican country and in fact, judging by the groups of young tourists that come from USA, I see more "third world" ethnic faces in their groups than on the streets of Madrid (I don't mean that as an insult at all...as there is nothing "wrong" with being from the third world or looking mexican...but it's funny how so many Americans don't even realize that within USA, there are more third world ethnics than in Spain...and Spain only recently has experienced massive Afro and Latino immigration and it's so obvious to differentiate who is a Spaniard and who is not: we do not have large heads and are not 4 feet tall.

pss: Ga Peach: Yes, I agree that the US is one of the greatest nations on the earth, I fully support American foreign policy...but that might be history if B. Hussein Obama wins. So don't blow your own trumpet just yet.

Actually, it is funny how you are so specific about the race of Spaniards and the classification of Hispanic people yet refer to Obama as a black man. Just to clarify, seeing as how you like to do so, Obama is partially African-American and partially European-American. Your other comment about Europeans laughing about his electibility is also way off. I am beginning to wonder if you are even in Europe. Having just returned from Europe, I can say that practically everyone I spoke with about the campaign happens to think Obama is the best choice and were laughing at the fact that many Americans would not vote for him because of his ethnicity. Funny how two people coming from the same place have different experiences.
You are correct in assuming that many Americans, when thinking of "Spanish", assume it is a person from South or Central America. The fact is, Latin America has as much racial diversity as the US. If someone says they are Spanish, they are European. If someone says they are Hispanic, they could be from anywhere in the Americas.
Actually this entire debate is a mute one because ultimately there are "white" Africans and "black" Europeans. I personally never cared for the white and black thing anyway. I find it to be a simplification of a complex subject. Like English-speaking people, Spanish-speaking people are diverse with many different ethnicities.
One other thought and I will be on my way. There is as much prejudice in many Spanish-speaking nations as there is in our own. Talk to anyone from the Dominican Republic about their identity card classifications. That is just one of very many examples.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
I just have to add that your comment about Argentinians and Cubans in Spain is also a generalization. I was in Spain with two very "white" Mexicans who felt very comfortable living there.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,711,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Because of the word "Hispanic". Even some of the more ignorant "Hispanic Americans" say "I'm not white, I'm 'Spanish'", so it makes sense that the general populace thinks that too.
Exactly. Many people, at least in my area, don't consider themselves white when they're of Spanish decent. They say they're Spanish

Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,144,227 times
Quote:
Let me remind you of something: in USA, Spaniards ARE considered white. Look it up on the census and stop trolling. I am a Spaniard and MANY people in my family are blonde and blue eyes (not that this is an indicator of exclusive whiteness) as if you knew the definition of "white" you would not waste our time trolling.

Second, there are actually more non-whites in USA than in many Spanish-speaking countries.
The Spanish may be classified as whites, but they are more of a mixed white. One can differentiate easily an anglo-Germanic walking on the Gran Via from a Spanish person. Generally, the Anglo-Germanic person has a redish neck, lighter skin, is much taller, fatter, and the facial features are different (more albino (no offense), obviously from lack of sun). The Spanish have more of a mixture with eastern mediterranean people. They are shorter, have darker skin, darker hair as well as Arabesque features. Eventhough they may have pale skin and blue eyes, there is still something ethnic in their apperance (They couldn't pass as a German). There is nothing wrong or right about being either, but by the same token the Spanish strike me as more provincial. They are great people, but have too many race issues.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Anybody who thinks a European Spaniard is NOT white is a moron. Sorry.

Whites are defined as "people with origins in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa" on most affirmative action inquiries. Granted, the cultural and personal style differences between a Northern European and a Southern European can be night and day. I come from Southern European parents and, the older I get, the more I appreciate the mercurial nature that is culturally "part and parcel" of that group. So, the Spaniard or Portuguese person with jet black hair and eyes as dark as coal and whose ancestors may have crossed the Strait of Gibraltar from a Moorish stronghold some 700 years ago still checks the box "white European."

Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM

214 posts, read 472,772 times
Quote:
Elfyum: I am GLAD that you DO NOT represent all Americans but you certainly make it seem (by what you say) you seem to confirm the European view here that Americans are just stupid. I dare you to come to Spain and tell us we are not white...it would be funny to see the reaction.

And now a statement to anglo americans:

"Hispanic" is not a race, it is a culture, a very, very broad culture which includes white, black, mestizo, and Indian. It's like if we said "american" was a race. I will LOVE to see your face when Obama wins the elections...because everyone in Europe is laughing about the fact that Americans will have a black president (I don't have a problem with the race, although I would NEVER vote for Obama...Mccain will get my vote as I have dual Spain/US citizenship).

"Latino" refers to Latin Americans but it is NOT an indicator of race.

You say you're not racist: I agree...you're ignorant and stupid and stereotypically American. By the way: I was BORN in the US and I NO LONGER live there because 1) I never felt American as my parents are from Spain and 2) I left...so don't even think about telling me "go back to Spain then" because I did just that.

And if you're so "anti" hispanic, why don't you lobby Congress to pass more laws to restrict immigration? Look! Here in Spain we have the same sort of issues: a lot of Latin Americans from Ecuador are coming in and many people here aren't happy about that because, yes, just like in the US, it has become a racial issue: many people here feel uncomfortable with people of different races (EVEN if they speak Spanish). South Americans do not feel welcome here except most Argentinians (who classify as white) and some older Cubans, who are also white.

As for the rest of what you say, it's not worth our time. You should go back to school, learn some history and anthropology and maybe, just maybe, you might even learn how to use your own language correctly.

And if you want the definition of "white"...look it up on wiki, it includes Spain and, gasp!, French people (ethnically French, not ethnic French!)...so according to your definition, to your stupid and ignorant definition, "only English speakers" are white: so Germans aren't white? Ha!

Dutch aren't white? Ha!
Scandinavians aren't white? Ha!
French aren't white? Ha!

Keep making us laugh. Don't you have other things to do in the trailer? Too much free time these days and too much welfare.

ps: Soju: you're right...most Americans don't even know where or what Spain is...they just say "oh latino" hahaha they are hilarious! When American tourists come to Spain they expect it to be like a third world Mexican country and in fact, judging by the groups of young tourists that come from USA, I see more "third world" ethnic faces in their groups than on the streets of Madrid (I don't mean that as an insult at all...as there is nothing "wrong" with being from the third world or looking mexican...but it's funny how so many Americans don't even realize that within USA, there are more third world ethnics than in Spain...and Spain only recently has experienced massive Afro and Latino immigration and it's so obvious to differentiate who is a Spaniard and who is not: we do not have large heads and are not 4 feet tall.

pss: Ga Peach: Yes, I agree that the US is one of the greatest nations on the earth, I fully support American foreign policy...but that might be history if B. Hussein Obama wins. So don't blow your own trumpet just yet.

I haven't blown my trumpet in quite some time . I guess I should have said it was the greatest nation ,because I don't recconize it anymore.

If your country becomes the feeding trough for the world then you'll understand why the one your reply was to is in a rage . Maybe the person is older and like me a little forgetful .

From what I remember some of the angl-saxon tribes were brought or escaped to Spain more than a milliniums ago ,maybe the Titans ?

As long as we assimilate and join our host nation race seems not to matter, but when we go to a new land and try to change it into where we let, all hell breaks loose . Or hang onto a culture from centuries ago the same thing happens .

Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,322,620 times
I think it has a lot to do with our government racial policies. If you have a Spanish surname, you are considered "hispanic" and therefore qualify affirmative action status and other goodies. A light-skinned blue eyed Spaniard could immigrate to the US and immediately become part of the fuzzy "hispanic" grouping, qualifying for preferences in school admissions, jobs, etc. I certainly don't think of Spanish as non-white, but I don't make up our government race policies.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 92,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The Spanish may be classified as whites, but they are more of a mixed white. One can differentiate easily an anglo-Germanic walking on the Gran Via from a Spanish person. Generally, the Anglo-Germanic person has a redish neck, lighter skin, is much taller, fatter, and the facial features are different (more albino (no offense), obviously from lack of sun). The Spanish have more of a mixture with eastern mediterranean people. They are shorter, have darker skin, darker hair as well as Arabesque features. Eventhough they may have pale skin and blue eyes, there is still something ethnic in their apperance (They couldn't pass as a German). There is nothing wrong or right about being either, but by the same token the Spanish strike me as more provincial. They are great people, but have too many race issues.
I completey agree with this this statement. The reasons why spanierds are not so much seen as "white" or authentically white, is because of the obvious mixed ancestry. View both people from Northern Europe and those of Southern Europe. Nothern Europeans like my ancestors usually have much lighter skin, lighter eyes (blue/green/grey/hazel), and much lighter, more straight hair. But, southern Europeans like Spanierds and Italians usually have natural olive/tanned skin, Dark borwn, blackish hair and eyes, and also their hair is usually more curlier and/or wavier than Northern whites.

Those traits alone show obvious ancestral mixture. The only people in my family that those mediterranean features are my bi-racial nieces who are of African-American and Caucasain, and not to mention that Spain and Italy are so close to Africa and the middle east in terms of geography. And even when you do notice a Spanierd with Blue eyes and Blond hair, like the guy said earlier there's something else about it that still shows there mixed ancestry. It seems to me like a lot of the Spanierds are trying to to prove so much that they are white, which only makes you seem even more non-white. It's like a case of self hatred. I think whites from Northern Europe can especially tell when you are a "white" from southern europe.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,233,519 times
It's true. Spain, even most South American countries, have a lot of blue-eyed, lighter-haired people. So does Mexico ~ and this is where a lot of the confusion starts.

Most Americans see only the Mexican-Indians (migrants). They are not familiar with the Spanish Mexican population, as few of them migrate to the states. On another CD forum I read a comment by a surprised "poster" about the white-looking Mexicans on Mexican tv.

I suppose the Mexican Indians would, then, be considered "half-white" ~ no? Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies