Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 310,556 times

Advertisements

It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.

There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.

The same Americans would say Christiano Ronaldo (portugese), Al Pacino (Italian-American) and Monica Belucci (Italian) are white.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Because of the word "Hispanic". Even some of the more ignorant "Hispanic Americans" say "I'm not white, I'm 'Spanish'", so it makes sense that the general populace thinks that too.

But in all honesty, who cares? To quote from somewhere else here, I think we should all just get our skin tones matched at the paint department at Home Depot, and the color that matches closest is our race.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I understand that most Hispanics have White racial identities. If you want Hispanics to be understood as being plain White then you should start by asking the gov't to get rid of a separate Hispanic demographic group. It was created back in the 70s mostly for AA purposes. Nowadays most people outside of the Deep South don't even care what someone's chromatic flavor is.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
What's so great about being white? Everybody envies you and then calls you a racist to boot. I mean, why is everybody so sensitive about whether or not they are in the white 'category'?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
In my experiences, Americans do not generally think of people of Spanish origin (including Latin Americans of Spanish origin) as "non-white." The stereotypical "Hispanic" person in this country is racially mixed but most people with whom I have ever come into contact recognize that all ethnic Spaniards and many Latin Americans are "white."

Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM

32 posts, read 310,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Because of the word "Hispanic". Even some of the more ignorant "Hispanic Americans" say "I'm not white, I'm 'Spanish'", so it makes sense that the general populace thinks that too.

But in all honesty, who cares? To quote from somewhere else here, I think we should all just get our skin tones matched at the paint department at Home Depot, and the color that matches closest is our race.
yea, I heard a couple of Puerto Ricans say that.

Also lots of Latino rappers, call themselves Spanish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433R2...eature=related

Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
yea, I heard a couple of Puerto Ricans say that.

Also lots of Latino rappers, call themselves Spanish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433R2...eature=related
Yeah alot of dumb*****!
Dominican cabbie saids he's not black, the Haitians are black! Only in NYC they call me black. LOL!
You have to understand most Americans are very ignorant about other cultures. Most can't even point out where NYC on the map let alone where Spain is.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:48 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,172 times
I think when "Americans" generally refer to "white," they mean anglo-saxon, nordic, alpine, germanic, etc. white. In fact, the "darker" whites - Spaniards, Italians, etc. are also "white;" they are mediterranean white. Even some Arabs fall into this category (Lebanese, etc.). I think part of the reason they don't consider mediterranean whites in the same category as anglo-saxon etc. white aside from appearance is cultural - there are cultural differences between those two generalized groups.

But really... can we just stop with this "who is white" and "who is not white" and "what race are you" and "what race am I" and whatever... It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. This country is obsessed with race and people have bought it hook, line, and sinker. I know this existed before 1776, but here it became institutionalized with stuff like inventing the word "hispanic" and making us all fill out those "race" categories on every government form we have to fill out. Sure, we have physical and cultural differences. These should be celebrated and we can learn from each other. But we should be thinking of ourselves as individuals with talents and ways we can improve ourselves, all members of one race - the human race.

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-about-01.htm Recommended viewing.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Darker whites? Northern Italians, French and many Spanish looked white as any white person I see in America.
I wonder if the Scandinavians consider the English "darker" whites as well? i think the even the Scottish would consider the English "darker " whites than. LOL!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
A while ago, white meant white. Now it could be many things, or combinations or mixtures or colors...

Am I a racist for saying this? Some would argue yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies