Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

10,115 posts, read 15,784,451 times

Advertisements

Bily4, your right you don't see a lot of Asian Americans at country concerts and NASCAR races but thats cause a lot are not as Amerianized/assimilated yet. I grew up with few minority friends and actually know nothing about stereotypical Asian things like anime and ping pong. A lot of newer immigrants now self segregate themselves.

I've never been to a NASCAR race but I've been to a few country concerts. A Toby Keith concert in Virginia was probably the most American experience I've had in my life. True, I could only count 3 other non-white people there (one African American and two Hispanics) excluding the illegals working as janitors but it was a great experience. There were people with Confederate flags on their shirts and they turned out to be really nice people.

Its the left and the elite who likes to stress race and identity politics and I'm tired of it. I thinking La Raza, the NAACP, etc are "special interests" as much as the Sierra Club or pharmaceutical companies are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM

10,115 posts, read 15,784,451 times
GraceC, glad you like Rascal Flatts now....the bands you mentioned have a lot of appeal in suburban areas and c'mon, didn't Taylor Swift's music describe your old self in high school? For so many girls it does.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,933,701 times
I hate both. Not that I have anything against NASCAR. It's just a girls sport with the endless left turns.

Rally racing, yes. Love standing on the outside turn as the car narrowly avoids running me over. But many girly limp wristed beer gut NASCAR fans prolly wouldn't like that which is why they sit cozy in the stands protected by fences and distance.

F1 is nice b/c it requires real skill to make sharper turns, both left and right, and actually varying your speed more than +/- 5mph, but it's too aristocratic. Kind of like how NASCAR is slowly becoming.

Fiscally speaking, don't think you get much more conservative than myself. Of course, liberal warmongering RINOs thinking they're conservative would say otherwise .

Last edited by ViewFromThePeak; 08-08-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,948,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Everyone needs to get over this "real American" stuff...we are all real Americans. Our ability to celebrate our differences is what should bring us together, not pull us apart.

This post is meant to be divisive. Just look at the posts, it is very apparent the OP's wish was granted.
Agree. This whole arguement feels very high school to me, debating who is more American based on their musical preferences and favorite sport (activity), it's all very ridiculous, thank you for pointing this out.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM

18,336 posts, read 26,368,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
So "america" only consists of what you like and feel comfortable with? i see.
Common New York City and others (like Chicago, LA, etc.) views are antithetical to what most Americans believe (the Heller Case illustrates this readily). All the big brother/big government ideas that strike at the Constitution and original American interest in a rather libertarian government these days are coming from the big cities like NYC. I'd say cities like NYC and Chicago and so forth pose a serious threat to this country's liberty.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,260,685 times
I don't know about the music, but I do know that nepotism (say, getting into the Naval Academy because you come from a long line of admirals and then graduate at the bottom of your class) is a sign of the elite....

Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Common New York City and others (like Chicago, LA, etc.) views are antithetical to what most Americans believe (the Heller Case illustrates this readily). All the big brother/big government ideas that strike at the Constitution and original American interest in a rather libertarian government these days are coming from the big cities like NYC. I'd say cities like NYC and Chicago and so forth pose a serious threat to this country's liberty.
Given that most of the US lives in urban metro areas, I wonder if what 'most americans believe' is truly what you think they do, or just what you wished they believed.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Given that most of the US lives in urban metro areas, I wonder if what 'most americans believe' is truly what you think they do, or just what you wished they believed.
The stats are skewed because of outdated definitions by the census of "urban" areas.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,916,713 times
Psssstttt -- just because someone has a different ideology than you doesn't make them less American or mean that you can't get along and have to sling silly insults against each other. Really! Where is all this anger coming from? It seems very misdirected and should be examined.

We are all different but the same. We all have families that we want to protect and provide for. We all want to live the way we are comfortable be it city or countryside; coast or plain. Please remember the line "From sea to shining sea". That's AMERICA the Beautiful. ALL of America. Not just the coasts, not just the cities, not just the suburbs, not just the plains... We are ALL Americans. We all believe in freedom and I would fight to defend my brothers and sisters in Arkansas, Mass, California, Nebraska if I needed to.

United we stand, divided we fall!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Really! Where is all this anger coming from? It seems very misdirected and should be examined.
Perhaps people like mayor bloomberg trying to take away mine and others' rights may be one example of a reason why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies