Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times

Advertisements

I bet my life would be made easy if money never existed. I could live anywhere I want. Money has caused a lot of tension between people and violence. Gangs fight over money, people are suffering, etc.

What would this would be like without money existing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
The unequal distribution of resources existed long before those resources were represented by currency. The intelligent, hard working and attractive people in this world would still be in control

"new car caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team"

Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
If there were no money, bartering would exist because it would be impossible for everyone in civilization to live completely independently from the need of other's services. Some people could be complete hermits, but the majority of people couldn't be 100% self-sufficient and therefore specialization of trades would develop so that life could be easier to bear.

...and once you have bartering, you bring the opportunity for weath by commodity and subsequently the risk for theft. Heck, you would have the risk of theft for just the food you eat if someone else wasn't skilled enough to catch it or unlucky enough to have a bad crop.

And historically, people have been traded into slavery for other commodities. If that isn't suffering, I don't know what is.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I bet my life would be made easy if money never existed. I could live anywhere I want. Money has caused a lot of tension between people and violence. Gangs fight over money, people are suffering, etc.

Money is just a means of exchange. Since bartering in economies with many goods (even extremely underdeveloped economies) is rather difficult, money is useful because it is something that everyone agrees has value.

Without money, your life wouldn't be easier, in fact it would almost certainly be harder. You couldn't just live where you wanted because other people would have that land as well and you probably couldn't buy it unless you had land that was of equal or greater value to them in exchange.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Money is a symbol of labor, in its simplest definition.

There will, I think, always be something that serves as such a symbol.

Otherwise, there would be no way to trade for things one wants...even if society were made up of families that were completely self-sufficient on their farms. At some point, they'd want a pineapple...or a parakeet. Or a book. Something they couldn't produce on their own.

And the only way to get that would be a form of "money" evolving to allow trade; I think it's human nature.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I agree with the o.p. Money may be "human nature" obviously and while we can't see a way to do without it, we are, I think approaching the end of the useful life of the concept. The technology now alows for those who want our money to get it without actually giving us what we contracted for. Most of us do not have the means to print convincing legal tender and severe penalities exist for those who do but consumer protections have been steadily eroding. Its like humanity is caught in some kind of mental trap. We have to break free or we will lie, cheat, poison, maim and mug each other to death. In just a little over one generation we have poisoned this planet beyond its capacity to sustain our lives. The next couple of generations have got to figure out how to sustain human life ex-earth but such a project requires that there isn't planetery competition. That kind of mental shift doesn't happen overnight but little by little one forum thread at a time... ...

H

Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,439 times
Quote:

"I'll trade you those nuts for these beans" <--------thats how

Old 12-26-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,093 times
To a degree Leisesturm comes close to an answer, but falls short. A "Mental shift" is exactly what is required. However, not in the pursuit of a replacement. We can do without money fall stop. The problem there in lays with our preoccupation of association to worth/value i.e. trading or bartering of an item, service etc. The mental shift required would require everyone to understand that all the services that we require to live will all ways be required. At present these services are regulated through financial systems that require managing. Take away the financial control and the services still require managing. The mental shift required is a realisation that we need each other to exist, therefore the world resources becomes a problem of logistics and not ownership.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,320 times
Cool nothin

Quote:
[FONT=Arial Narrow]I bet my life would be made easy if money never existed. I could live anywhere I want. Money has caused a lot of tension between people and violence. Gangs fight over money, people are suffering, etc.

[/FONT]
if you think like that than you are wrong , they exchange things like trading , eg.i want to have a teddy bear and you want a basket ball and we exchange our things

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
How would we determine value?

Something needed to be invented, the folks who pulled their teeth out for monetary value would disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies