U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
What I meant by "shoot the drive by shooters" was if they were all shot that there would be no more drive by shooters. And this whole country would be better off without them.
Well, that's one solution--I won't get into its feasibility.

Quote:
. But when someone brings up about that bad area of Chicago to me in this forum and she works and live in Chicago why not fix things at home first, then go out and fix the rest of the world.

Actually, when I read about that school she built, what you say about helping Chicago first did indeed cross my mind.
But it's her money and she has already spent quite a bit of it helping other folks. Better the school in Africa than a fleet of Hummers or something like that. I have not heard about her trying to get other people to part with their own money, but I don't watch much Oprah.
I do not doubt at all that she is liberal.
You make it sound like she's got an incurable disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, that's one solution--I won't get into its feasibility.

Actually, when I read about that school she built, what you say about helping Chicago first did indeed cross my mind.
But it's her money and she has already spent quite a bit of it helping other folks. Better the school in Africa than a fleet of Hummers or something like that. I have not heard about her trying to get other people to part with their own money, but I don't watch much Oprah.
I do not doubt at all that she is liberal.
You make it sound like she's got an incurable disease.
I don't watch much either, but she has what she calls her Angel Network and she WILL and does ask for your money....at least she has in the past.... And I did say her money was hers and she can do what she wants to with it. I thought being a liberal was a incurable disease {:>)

Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,945,002 times
I'd like to know more about this "shoot the drive by shooters" idea... How do you propose we do this?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I read so much about it yesterday, I thought I would be impressed tonight when I watched it.

I wasn't. It was like a watered-down rich person's view of poverty. I think I could have put together a better documentary than that -- considering it took them 1 1/2 years to put it together.

The poverty in the USA just tears me apart.
I have to agree! It's ironic when anyone ever comments on the poor in the U.S. as being the "richest" poor through-out the world but the poor is still poor.

I also agree that a better documentary can be made to show poverty's brutalness. A single mom who turns to prostitution to feed her kids would be more along the lines a better way to get the message across about poverty.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:16 AM

133 posts, read 564,723 times
Default help our own first

I will say I do get rather annoyed when celebrities, school groups, churches and such give money to help starving children in other countries. I just returned from Cambodia. It was heart breaking and I have never seen poverty like that before. But, there didn't seem to be any violence or drugs connected to this poverty (even though there may have been). At any rate, my first thought was "WOW, I feel like I am in the middle of a National Geographic special." My second thought was...."we are sending money to help these folks...who is actually getting the money?" My third thought was "that's great...but why aren't we using the money to help our own country and the poverty we have at home?" I am not sure why that thought came to me on that visit. But, it did and I actully got rather angry inside about it. Why aren't we helping ourselves first? Is it more glamourous to have our pictures taken with children in Cambodia than with children in the US? What is our problem?
I guess my point is..I saw this poverty first hand..and I still think we should start at home before reaching out to other nations.
We as Americans should be ashamed that our country is in the state it is in.
We have no excuse.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times
Question good question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
I will say I do get rather annoyed when celebrities, school groups, churches and such give money to help starving children in other countries. I just returned from Cambodia. It was heart breaking and I have never seen poverty like that before. But, there didn't seem to be any violence or drugs connected to this poverty (even though there may have been). At any rate, my first thought was "WOW, I feel like I am in the middle of a National Geographic special." My second thought was...."we are sending money to help these folks...who is actually getting the money?" My third thought was "that's great...but why aren't we using the money to help our own country and the poverty we have at home?" I am not sure why that thought came to me on that visit. But, it did and I actully got rather angry inside about it. Why aren't we helping ourselves first? Is it more glamourous to have our pictures taken with children in Cambodia than with children in the US? What is our problem?
I guess my point is..I saw this poverty first hand..and I still think we should start at home before reaching out to other nations.
We as Americans should be ashamed that our country is in the state it is in.
We have no excuse.
Is it done by celebrities because our administration does nothing? I see MANY extremely impoverished here in Western North Carolina and parts of Tennessee. I am ashamed of it, too. I donate to charities. The last PR announcement from Laura Bush was about Big Brother or something- what are THEY doing?What is being done about it?.

sunny

Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 PM

985 posts, read 2,551,170 times
I think I need duct tape to wrap my head in it so it does not explode!! I live about 20 min. from Camden...That city has had its problems way before this "administration" was in office!!! We in this area donate thru churches and charities all the time. If you stay in school and stay out of jail and do not do drugs the cycle of poverty could get better!! I'm just saying!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,636,989 times
As much as I'm not a fan of the current administration (and I am not and politically active), the problems of urban and rural poverty have not been adequately addressed by either political party, the Democrats and the Republicans are equally to blame for ignoring this problem, as poor people have never been a politically lucrative constituent.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:54 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,343,312 times
I saw the show and cried. Those children started out with such enthusiasm about being in school.

Yap-

It sounds as though you are an incredible person. I hope that you are spending some time working with at-risk teens, because they need to hear about you and your life. It could make all the difference in the world to them.

Anyone can accomplish anything that they think they can. And that's the rub- if you don't think that you can do it, then you can't.

There was something in you, I bet, that kept popping back up throughout all that you went through.

I had a very bad time in my life. Nothing like yours, to be sure- but I was unemployed and broke. Really broke. The funny thing is, after I was back on my feet, I realized that I had been poor. From my frame of reference, being broke was a temporary setback. But I can see that if one grows up truly poor and in a warzone of a neighborhood without a strong family or positive role models, what else can you imagine for yourself?

I work with teens and met a boy who had shot a gun on the streets, yet was scared to hold a guinea pig. Almost six feet tall, he got on a pony after mustering all the courage that he could and was lead around a parking lot and if you could have seen the look on his face! It was the same way that my kids looked when they first did it. Only my kids were four or five at the time. He is sixteen.

For most of these kids to succeed, all that they need is opportunity. It's hard to pull oneself up by your bootstraps when you have no boots.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,945,002 times
I went and looked at the website that was set up to help the children on the show. Fortunately, they got all the money they wanted/needed very quickly and were planning to use any extra donations to help others.

I hope they provided enough money for the 4-year old's mother to rent an apartment they could live in so she could get a job, etc. (She wanted to work but without a home and two kids...)

They also received enough money to help the older kid go to college.

These were all good kids to begin with. With a little extra money, they'll probably end up being productive citizens. Maybe the show will revisit them a few years down the road and tell us where they are then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies