U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:24 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,368,519 times

Advertisements

I think we have four groups on this board....

1. Racists who would rather not see minorities in this country at all.

2. People who don't care either way.

3. Ultra-Left wing types who want to hand everything to them on a silver platter without regard to merit.

4. People who would rather they are treated EQUALLY, without any special priveledges or prejudices.

I personally fall into number 4.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM

173 posts, read 372,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
It's a country that celebrates Martin Luther King Day, and it's also a country where a black man can get dragged to death on a Texas country road.

It's a big country, filled with lots of great people and lots of scumbags of every shape & shade. Like most everywhere else.
You are so right.

We were all sickened by that poor black man who was drug by the racist white men in Texas. But there are more than 300,000,000 citizens living in the United States today. How many black people have you heard about being dragged by white people lately?

I guess my point is, that racism comes in all colors, and it is high time for all races to be treated as EQUALS, even the whites.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 AM

28,265 posts, read 43,579,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Are the whites really trying to oppress negroes? Do whites really think they're better than blacks? So many of the threads on this forum seem to accept this premise as true, but is there really such rampant racism by whites?

With the exception of a few new stories about white against black racial crime, I've never seen seen white racism.
Then you either live in a VERY tolerant community, or you're just keeping your eyes closed... go ask a Black person if racism still exists, and I'm sure you'll get a different answer. I've posted these statistics before, but here are the FBI's stats on hate crimes:

Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias. (this includes Hispanics, who are classified as "White")
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.

(http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm (broken link))

Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,499,289 times
Gizmo, the English Teacher purports to be black and male. I actually thought this thread was a baiting game and I lost my fishing rod. so stayed out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then you either live in a VERY tolerant community, or you're just keeping your eyes closed... go ask a Black person if racism still exists, and I'm sure you'll get a different answer. I've posted these statistics before, but here are the FBI's stats on hate crimes:

Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias. (this includes Hispanics, who are classified as "White")
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).

Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Then you either live in a VERY tolerant community, or you're just keeping your eyes closed... go ask a Black person if racism still exists, and I'm sure you'll get a different answer. I've posted these statistics before, but here's the FBI's stats on hate crimes:

Racial Bias

* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.

Religious Bias

Of the 1,405 victims of an anti-religion hate crime:

* 69.5 percent were victims of an anti-Jewish bias.
* 10.7 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
* 7.5 percent were victims of a bias against other unspecified religions (anti-other religion).
* 4.3 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
* 4.1 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
* 3.3 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
* 0.4 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
These are garbage stats. Do you want to know why?

Black on white crime is never classified as a hate crime. It is just crime. The stats you need to be looking at are crimes committed by blacks against whites. I think one of the dominant sub-topics in all these threads is the fact that whites are treated differently than minorities, and held to different standards. The statistics you have posted are worthless because whenever a minority commits a crime against a white it's always misclassified.

Similar to women who rape men. Yes folks, we know it happens. Happened to me, lol. I was drunk, pretty much passed out, and a woman had her way with me. I didn't complain of course, being a man, lol. However, that still doesn't change the fact that technically it was rape because I never consented to it. I know it's a stretch for an analogy, but its the best example of a legal double standard I can come up with

A better one might be that until recently male teachers would have been burned at the stake while female teachers who have sexual relations with their students get a slap on the wrist with a wet noodle. It would still be that way if so many hot teachers didn't do it, lol. My guess is they made some women jealous so they prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
If those teachers were ugly I doubt it would have been such a big deal.

Double standards are everywhere. They not only hurt the groups who are out of favor, they skew statistics to the point where they're useless.

-TT

Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
These are garbage stats. Do you want to know why?

Black on white crime is never classified as a hate crime. It is just crime. The stats you need to be looking at are crimes committed by blacks against whites. I think one of the dominant sub-topics in all these threads is the fact that whites are treated differently than minorities, and held to different standards. The statistics you have posted are worthless because whenever a minority commits a crime against a white it's always misclassified.

Similar to women who rape men. Yes folks, we know it happens. Happened to me, lol. I was drunk, pretty much passed out, and a woman had her way with me. I didn't complain of course, being a man, lol. However, that still doesn't change the fact that technically it was rape because I never consented to it. I know it's a stretch for an analogy, but its the best example of a legal double standard I can come up with

A better one might be that until recently male teachers would have been burned at the stake while female teachers who have sexual relations with their students get a slap on the wrist with a wet noodle. It would still be that way if so many hot teachers didn't do it, lol. My guess is they made some women jealous so they prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
If those teachers were ugly I doubt it would have been such a big deal.

Double standards are everywhere. They not only hurt the groups who are out of favor, they skew statistics to the point where they're useless.

-TT
I know that most statistics aren't 100% accurate (another stat for ya, LOL)... but they do tell the general story, and anyone who's not blind can realize that racism still exists. It would be impossible for me to gather PERFECT stats on the issue, but I know from my own eyes & ears. You also have to remember I'm talking about racially motivated crime, which isn't necessarily the case with every crime. If a black man assaults a white man, does that mean it was a hate crime? It could be, but it could also be that the guy is just an a-hole... or that both guys are a-holes, and couldn't control their testosterone.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I know that most statistics aren't 100% accurate (another stat for ya, LOL)... but they do tell the general story, and anyone who's not blind can realize that racism still exists. It would be impossible for me to gather PERFECT stats on the issue, but I know from my own eyes & ears.

Of course racism exists, but those stats are WAY off. If you know any police officers or maybe a DA, ASK them. They'll tell you the same thing.

-TT

Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,034,416 times
Racism will always exist. That's the truth. As long as there are different races there will be racism throughout the world. The only way to truly end it is for everyone to be one race and that's not going to happen. So what people need to learn to do is just live with the fact that it exists, it's a part of life, get over it and move on.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Of course racism exists, but those stats are WAY off. If you know any police officers or maybe a DA, ASK them. They'll tell you the same thing.

-TT
My sister works for the police department, so I'm sure she'd verify that it's still a major problem... and unfortunately, those statistics are as close as you'll get to accurate, so they do stand for something.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 PM

597 posts, read 1,788,961 times
Quote:

Yes, that 67.9 percent counts both whites and hispanics and a vast majority of those stats have to do with hispanic on black crime (if you have read any national papers lately that spell out clearly the tension in these communities between blacks and hispanics). If you look closely, these stats are fudged in such a way as to make it look as though extreme anti-black racism exists, until you dig a little further and realize how much information they are omitting from the picture. YapCity is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or