U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 PM

1,393 posts, read 869,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
This is crucial. The "American Dream" is not given, it is earned. We have the right to prosperity, but never the guarantee. As soon as any individual is content to rest on their proverbial laurels, or be content, they become stagnant.
Another thing I have noticed, especially in these forums, is that people have varying degrees of contentment and fulfillment. Some people talk about great areas to move to that I would never submit my own family to living in. Too many who are in poverty become content with it. We all recognize that we could each do better, but it is hard when we become comfortable. I imagine your friend did not want his own life experiences for his children.
This was good !! I must say "I AGREE"!! Well, said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Holy-moly. Will wonders never cease?
A rational and civil thread on the P&OC forum.

Some great stuff here, even though the thread started on a somehwat hostile note.

I've often had a sort of nagging feeling that much of what is debated on this board is more about class-ism than racisim, and it seems that this thread has taken that turn. Of course, as Americans, we are supposed to pretend that class doesn't exist. It may be our last big taboo.

I too read the NYTimes series on class and found it fascinating.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:57 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Holy-moly. Will wonders never cease?
A rational and civil thread on the P&OC forum.

Some great stuff here, even though the thread started on a somehwat hostile note.

I've often had a sort of nagging feeling that much of what is debated on this board is more about class-ism than racisim, and it seems that this thread has taken that turn. Of course, as Americans, we are supposed to pretend that class doesn't exist. It may be our last big taboo.

I too read the NYTimes series on class and found it fascinating.
I think you're absolutely right!!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
There was statewide segregation of Asians in California schools at the turn of the last century. It took a threat by Japan to declare war on the US for then president Teddy Roosevelt to force California to scrap this statewide. Obviously it continued on in some parts of the state into the 1940s.

In looking at the history of California racism, Asians seemed to be the group most targeted. California did have some pretty vicious racists in politics and positions of influence in the early 20th century - James Phelan, David Starr Jordan, Bob Schuler- but they generally concentrated on anti-Asian hatred, with Mexicans as a secondary target (and blacks barely even mentioned if at all). Likewise, lynchings of Chinese were common in California (and Washington State) in the early 20th century, and the exact same racist stereotypes used against African American men were stated about Asian men.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM

146 posts, read 530,061 times
Exclamation Afrocentrism and the new Afro Facism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
White people aren't racist, but you are (whatever color you might be). The posts in this thread are dripping with hate. Anyone who isn't totally brain dead can see it. Denying the facts don't make them untrue...it's right there in black and white...
When did the knee-jerk shouting out of "you're a racist" as become the de-riguer accusation by anyone even slightly offended by the protected free speech of others?

perhaps it started with Dr. Jeffries, Dept Chair at NYU who proposed that melanin in blacks made them superior to all non-blacks;

perhaps it became fashionable after Dr. Francis Wesling began disseminating her critique of "the global system of white supremacy";

perhaps it started after a former Yale faculty member Bell Hooks published a book that started with the sentence "I am sitting beside an anonymous white male that I long to murder";

perhaps it is encouraged by the Afrocentric Baseline Essays being forced on so many public school systems that tell students blacks are superior to all other races;

perhaps it was a result of the totalitarian thinking of the Nation of Islam (NOI) and the Black Panther party, or the loud rationalization of black-on-white crime as "justified rage from cultural memory of oppression";;

either way, yelling out the "you're a racist" is always aimed and intended for whites, and that's for real racism. My question was simply whether whites were really the racists they've been made out to be...

Last edited by english_teacher; 01-27-2007 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
There continues to be a lot of discrimination in employment -- not only racial discrimination but also age discrimination and sexual discrimination (and probably other types I just can't think of right now). It's not legal, but it happens anyway.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
Hyperbole? Rhetoric? I don't understand your point. Care to elaborate? And I really enjoyed Bell Hooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
When did the knee-jerk shouting out of "you're a racist" become the de-riguer accusation by anyone who is even slightly offended by the protected free speech of others?

perhaps it started with Dr. Jeffries, Dept Chair at NYU who proposed that melanin in blacks made them superior to all non-blacks;

perhaps it became fashionable after Dr. Francis Wesling began disseminating her critique of "the global system of white supremacy";

perhaps it started after a former Yale faculty member Bell Hooks published a book that started with the sentence "I am sitting beside an anonymous white male that I long to murder";

perhaps it is encouraged by the Afrocentric Baseline Essays being forced on so many public school systems that tell students blacks are superior to all other races;

perhaps it was a result of the totalitarian thinking of the Nation of Islam (NOI) and the Black Panther party, or the loud rationalization of black-on-white crime as "justified rage from cultural memory of oppression";;

either way, yelling out the "you're a racist" is always aimed and intended for whites, and that's for real racism.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Hyperbole? Rhetoric? I don't understand your point. Care to elaborate? And I really enjoyed Bell Hooks.
I've read essays by Bell Hooks but not the book that "English Teacher" was talking about. He/she might have been confusing said book with the infamous Miles Davis interview in Playboy where Miles stated if he had 10 seconds to live he'd strangle a white man - except Miles was very specific about what white man he'd kill. (Miles said it would be either Elvis Presley or **** Jagger).

Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
I have also read Hooks essays. But as I am literally "ontheroad" I don't have any of my books to check. If you have any, perhaps you can check--and it seems like you probably know from whence the quote comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I've read essays by Bell Hooks but not the book that "English Teacher" was talking about. He/she might have been confusing said book with the infamous Miles Davis interview in Playboy where Miles stated if he had 10 seconds to live he'd strangle a white man - except Miles was very specific about what white man he'd kill. (Miles said it would be either Elvis Presley or **** Jagger).

Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 PM

146 posts, read 530,061 times
Exclamation Racists, racists everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The book is called Killing Rage; a collection of her essays. David Horowitz and Peter Collier quote Hooks in their book The Race Card

Shocking to know that Miles Davis was a racist, but I'm sure since he picked a specific white person to murder it mitigated his racial hatred?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or