U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There continues to be a lot of discrimination in employment -- not only racial discrimination but also age discrimination and sexual discrimination (and probably other types I just can't think of right now). It's not legal, but it happens anyway.
Don't forget religious discrimination. Back home the mormons are notorious for only hiring within their own group and my former manager had to fight to get me hired on staff because they had a list of potential candidates that they wanted hired--all mormon. There was a lot of resentment at first until I proved to be a good employee and tempers lessened, but we have to be fair and realize it's more complex than just race/sex, and it goes all different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I have also read Hooks essays. But as I am literally "ontheroad" I don't have any of my books to check. If you have any, perhaps you can check--and it seems like you probably know from whence the quote comes.
I don't know the Hooks book - but I do know about the Miles Davis quote although part of it got censored. Not that there would be any legal repercussions ; Miles Davis is dead so any threats he made against Sir Michael Jagger would be irrelevant. And since Elvis Presley is dead (and died before Miles did), there isn't any law against a dead man making death threats against another dead man.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Default To "English Teacher"

David Horowitz isn't exactly a credible source. I don't know what his views are on racial issues but considering that he is behind the infamous "Discover The Networks" conspiracy site and makes a career out of harassing professors who don't share his political views, he's only slightly more credible than David Icke

Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
As I said, no books here, but I rather like this quote better from one of Hooks essays:

"I believe that this nation can only heal from the wounds of racism if we all begin to love blackness. And by that I don't mean that we love only that which is best within us, but that we're also able to love that which is faltering, which is wounded, which is contradictory, incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't know the Hooks book - but I do know about the Miles Davis quote although part of it got censored. Not that there would be any legal repercussions ; Miles Davis is dead so any threats he made against Sir Michael Jagger would be irrelevant. And since Elvis Presley is dead (and died before Miles did), there isn't any law against a dead man making death threats against another dead man.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
I don't know how accurate this is, but if you look under criticism on this page, you'll see reference to Horowitz and a more detailed explanation of the hooks comment made by the english teacher, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
David Horowitz isn't exactly a credible source. I don't know what his views are on racial issues but considering that he is behind the infamous "Discover The Networks" conspiracy site and makes a career out of harassing professors who don't share his political views, he's only slightly more credible than David Icke

Old 01-27-2007, 10:00 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,945,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Don't forget religious discrimination. Back home the mormons are notorious for only hiring within their own group and my former manager had to fight to get me hired on staff because they had a list of potential candidates that they wanted hired--all mormon. There was a lot of resentment at first until I proved to be a good employee and tempers lessened, but we have to be fair and realize it's more complex than just race/sex, and it goes all different ways.
Boy, you said it! It not only shows up in hiring and firing -- but in the wages paid!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:06 AM

146 posts, read 530,168 times
Default Fair Labor Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Boy, you said it! It not only shows up in hiring and firing -- but in the wages paid!
Federal law requires employers to use fair labor practices. If the wages for one employee differ from those of another employee, it doesn't automatically mean, nor should it even suggest, discriminatory practices by this Mormon employer. Discrimination (accusations of 'you're a racist', you're a sexist, you're a homophobe, etc) has become the standard refrain in the last two decades by an underperforming class of workers.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,642,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Are the whites really trying to oppress negroes? Do whites really think they're better than blacks? So many of the threads on this forum seem to accept this premise as true, but is there really such rampant racism by whites?

With the exception of a few new stories about white against black racial crime, I've never seen seen white racism.
Today is the reverse.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,330,074 times
Default Racism defined

Racism, by its simplest definition is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Simply put...if you you think your race, in itself, makes you better than another race, then you are guilty of racism. If you wear a swastika and spread Nazi doctrine, you are racist. If you merely believe in Nazi doctrine, you are racist. Why? Because you believe you are the superior race. Observing other cultures and races and commenting on them is not inherently racist in itself though in this PC world, anything we say is scrutinized and at risk of being interpeted as racist. It is your belief / intention that determines whether racism exists. By the same token, saying women are different from men does not necessarily make me sexist.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,330,074 times
english_teacher originally said, in part:

Shocking to know that Miles Davis was a racist, but I'm sure since he picked a specific white person to murder it mitigated his racial hatred[End Quote]

It is possible MD's quote could have been more about musical preference or prejudice than racism. He may have merely been showing his lack of tact and extreme disdain for rock and roll music (not uncommon in jazz players). Maybe the comment was to further his belief that guys like Presley and Jagger, who happen to be white, took a musical form, commonly believed to have origins in Africa, and made it their own. They also introduced their version (which he believed was crap) to the mainstream. But I guess it's easier to see the surface only and assume when a black guy says something derogatory about a white, or vice versa, it is racist.

Do we make that assumption because we lack creativity, because we are all inherently racist or for some other reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or