Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Thats because there is a lead time bias, give it time and cabbage will beat all of them combined...
You give the cruciferous too much credit, sir. True, today's cabbage is merely a genetically-engineered johnny-come-lately in comparison to things like the Ten Commandments, but aside possibly from cookbooks, I see no arena in which one could expect any surge in cabbage-related verbiage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws. — Mayer Amsched Rothchild, a prominent European banker in the eighteenth century
You cannot run a modern globalised economy without a central bank. It is not just a coincidence that every even marginally significant player has one. If (like certain religious fundamentalists) you would prefer the world to return to the eighteenth century or some even earlier age, I suggest you curl up in your den with a bunch of period books and imagine yourself to be there. No serious person would want to live there in actuality...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM

Emperor Milhaus the First...

People have got to know whether or not their President's a crook. Well, I'm not a crook.

Honorable Mention to the Gipper...

Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 AM

564 posts, read 892,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You cannot run a modern globalised economy without a central bank. It is not just a coincidence that every even marginally significant player has one. If (like certain religious fundamentalists) you would prefer the world to return to the eighteenth century or some even earlier age, I suggest you curl up in your den with a bunch of period books and imagine yourself to be there. No serious person would want to live there in actuality...
The constitution allowed for the U.S. to coin money. The U.S. does not need fractional banking, don't need a privately owned Federal Reserve.

The U.S. can coin it's own money and use its infrastructure as collateral. In no way do we need the Federal Reserve with a few men getting rich off of us and now tells congress and the president what they will do.

That's what I've gotten from the books I've read so far.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
No one’s safe when freedom fails,
and good men rot in filthy jails,
and those who cried appease, appease,
are hung by those they tried to please.
—Author unknown
This has been repeatedly attributed to Hiram Mann.
I am not sure whether this is the same Hiram Mann who was one of the famous Tuskegee Airmen.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite quotes is from that politician noted for his pithy pronouncements, Calvin Coolidge:
Visiting lady at the White House: Mr. President, earlier this evening, I had made a bet that I can make you say more than two words.
Coolidge: You lose.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
coolidge is my homeboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This has been repeatedly attributed to Hiram Mann.
I am not sure whether this is the same Hiram Mann who was one of the famous Tuskegee Airmen.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite quotes is from that politician noted for his pithy pronouncements, Calvin Coolidge:
Visiting lady at the White House: Mr. President, earlier this evening, I had made a bet that I can make you say more than two words.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That's what I've gotten from the books I've read so far.
Keep reading. You have a long way yet to go. Let us know when you get to the part about the distinctions between the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. But before delving into that, maybe you should go back and reread the part about so-called ownership of the FRS...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Writer Dorothy Parker is the woman in the story, but it's veracity is not established. Parker is also alleged to have said, upon hearing that Coolidge had died, How can they tell?

In any case, Coolidge was actually both an eloquent and frequent speaker. His command of the English language was widely admired, even by many of the intellectuals of his day. He was the first to deliver an Inaugural Address over the radio. He was the first to deliver a State of the Union Address over the radio (many before him had simply transmitted the required statement in writing). He was the first President to appear in a sound film. He gave more live press conferences in his terms than any President, before or since. The monicker Silent Cal, despite the legends, is not a particularly well-fitting one...

Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Writer Dorothy Parker is the woman in the story, but it's veracity is not established. Parker is also alleged to have said, upon hearing that Coolidge had died, How can they tell?
Wow, I find it hard to believe that clever Dorothy Parker would fall into a trap like that.
I've heard the "How could they tell" quote, though--always thought it was pretty funny.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies