Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Most of the problems we have today in this country can be directly attributed and traced to increasing and overreaching government, on federal, state, and local levels, who confiscate our money before we even see it, then **** it away on social programs.
Social programs have gotten us into trillions of dollars of debt to the Chinese??! We've had them for years and have never had these sort of problems. Going to an unnecessary oil war where corrupt companies like Dick Cheney's Halliburton make billions is what got us there.

We do also use taxes for our roadways, food safety (that's laughable as not enough is spent in that area), airline safety (another laughable one), federal law enforcement and a whole host of other things that ALL OF YOU benefit from.

So now you people dont want to pay for the roads you drive on like the cheap corporations who benefit from our laws, our education system, our infrastructure but then give us absolutely nothing in return? As evidenced by the GAO, so this is not made-up here. They are benefitting from loads of tax breaks, and the richer the company, the more breaks they seem to receive.

WAKE UP AMERICA! You're GETTING SCREWED by greedy corrupt unpatriotic executives who'll just dump you for the next cheap labor they come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
But I bet 99% of you all do.

My question is when is the herd finally going to wake up and realize that the problems we now face in the US are the direct result of corporate greed and government backed welfare initiatives that support the most wealthy in this country? Even the immigration problem can be set squarely at the feet of greedy corps that rather place the stability of our social services at risk than pay legal American citizens actual working wages.

So what is the answer people? What do we do?CQ Politics | Most Corporations Don’t Pay Income Taxes: GAO (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=3&docID=news-000002937306 - broken link)
OK. Pop quiz time. Add up the profits of the fortune 500, then add up the taxes paid. Prove to me that large corporations do not pay taxes.

Like the article says, a lot of small companies do not pay taxes because as S Corps the money that the owners pay themselves is taxed on their personal tax returns even though the company itself does not show a large profit. So go ahead, go after the auto repair shop or the local restaurant owner if it makes you feel better.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,533 times
They should pay what they owe. Just like everybody else does. Individuals can't stop paying taxes because they don't feel like it, or don't agree with how its being spent. Why should business be any different?? They are just greedy corporations always looking to fill their pockets even more.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM

564 posts, read 892,502 times
Interesting especially how the constitution allows for corporations to pay income tax, and the worker to not be taxed on his/her labor. In what year did it flip? Is it constitutional? And are any of you gonna do anything about it? Thought so.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Let's get back to reality here: Corporate greed? Define it.

Capitalism is good. It is what has made us the richest and freest country in the world. Now if someone is going to start telling me how much I can charge for my services, then we are no longer free, and we no longer have a capitalist systym. Then we will begin to see decline, because entrpreneurs don't want to give their service/products away for what someone else determins is fair. The free market is what determines the true value of something. That is, demand.

I'm not interested in working cheap, nor am I interested in working for free. My work has value (I think I'm better than my competition — I know I'm better than my competition). Does that mean I'm greedy? Absolutely not! Value for value.

Some things cost a lot to produce. The producer should be allowed to make a profit. If there is high demand for his product, over his competitors, he can charge more. Is he greedy? No. Value for value.

The problem here is that most people leave some things out of the equation. Some people have a better product. Hence, they can charge much more than their competition. This is not greed. It is common sense. It is capitalism.

You don't have to buy my product. You can buy from the cheap guy if you want. Pay less, but it won't be as good, and you'll have to replace it sooner.

Someone said, "You pay once for quality".

Fact is, a lot of these entrepreneurs are small businesses, operating as LLC's, and they pay their taxes as personal income taxes (as an LLC, you have the option).

Our problems are the greedy Government, which seeks to tax anything and everything! If we want to find greed, just look to government. It's appetite is insatiable. It will never have enough of your money.
You are thinking of the way things should be.

The auto industry in the US was offering cars that all broke down within 3 years. Ask someone who lived back then. There was no competition. Somehow they realized that there would be enough in the pot for all of them if they just stopped competing.
It was the Japanese who gave us cars that fit together, and they did it year after year, with American auto management just sitting back until it was time for them to retire.

Then I remember Bush on the news telling us we would have alternate fuel, but it would be 20 years down the road, hydrogen.
That night I heard about the Prius coming to the US market.
The next morning the US auto industry introduced their hybrid.
It looked very much like the US companies would not introduce hybrids unless the Japanese introduced theirs.

A CEO and his management cronies should get paid commensurate with his productivity, just like any other worker.

There is an old boy's network. Interlocking directorates. They all vote for perks and raises for each other.

This country is turning into a banana republic. A few very wealthy, and the rest poor, without medical coverage, educated through a poor system. Bill Gates said we are trying to prepare our kids for the 2000's with a school system that is still geared to the 1950's.

Part of the problem is that we are no longer competing. Our wealth is going to be, quickly, a thing of the past.

When the economy is going great the government is getting enough income because everyone is employed. When the economy fails there are fewer people who can make it and more applying for government assistance of various kinds.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
It's THIS simple:

Corporations DO have income (including dividends) assessed in most states. WE as the consumers pick up the slack when paying for products and services.

Elementary Econ 101, ya'll!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
But I bet 99% of you all do.

My question is when is the herd finally going to wake up and realize that the problems we now face in the US are the direct result of corporate greed and government backed welfare initiatives that support the most wealthy in this country? Even the immigration problem can be set squarely at the feet of greedy corps that rather place the stability of our social services at risk than pay legal American citizens actual working wages.

So what is the answer people? What do we do?CQ Politics | Most Corporations Don’t Pay Income Taxes: GAO (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=3&docID=news-000002937306 - broken link)
Your propoganda isn't telling the whole truth. Many companies that don't pay taxes didn't generate any profit.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Many of the multi-national corporations can use tax shelters and their off shore offices to shelter income. If the profits do not come back to the US they cannot be taxed.

Only last year did the IRS kill the Killer B tax shelter but that's only because it was publicly disclosed by a big corporation.

Dealbreaker - A Wall Street Tabloid - Business News Headlines and Financial Gossip - Tax Man Wipes Out Killer Bees (http://www.dealbreaker.com/2007/06/tax_man_wipes_out_killer_bees.php - broken link)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
So... how many actually read it?

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08957.pdf

I did and it is what I like to call "garbage". It concludes nothing. It is nothing more than inconclusive dribble attempting to claim something without having any evidence to claim it. Seriously, read it, its comical. Pay close attention to the wording.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
The fact mentioned in the article is that 25% of corporations with $100M in revs or more don't pay taxes. So we're now talking about the effective corporate income tax rate, which has always been lower than the nominal rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies