Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
I've similarly concluded that a partition of the U.S. is in the offing at some point in the future. Perhaps in another thirty years or so.
I was a great fan of the book "The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau. Fascinating read (though it's now several decades old), but it attempted to illustrate how the US is actually divided up into areas of similar culture and similar interests...it did NOT, as I recall, predict a true political 'meltdown".

I've been at this a long time, and it's a favorite interest of mine. And personally, I do not predict a division of the US into separate countries. "They" (the 'powers that be') I don't think, would ever allow this. PLUS the fact that the different components in our society are not divided up in any simple geographic way.

Sadly, though, what I DO predict (and have predicted for 20 years or so) is an increasingly divisive society, once multiculturalism reaches its full potential. At that time, we'll be divided socially and by sentiment, into several distinct and pretty much mutually-hostile groups, each group mainly concerned with getting 'its share', and jealously watching to make sure the 'others' don't pass it by. This, to me, is ENTIRELY predictable, hasw happened many times in many societies in the past, and, in fact, is already beginning to happen HERE...we just don't 'see it'.

As a result of our 'every man for his own group, and to hell with the others' mindset...and in the absence of any numerical 'majority' at all..we'll have no choice but to institute an ever-increasing list of laws and regulations under which we'll find ourselves living. MOST of these we'll willingly submit to, if that's what it takes to keep 'the other guy' in check....in much the same way homeowners will voluntarily submit to draconian "CC & R" neighborhood codes..they're restrictive and 'annoying as Hell"...but they DO keep the 'slobs' under control, and property values high. So we willingly accept them.

So that's my personal prediction, from decades of reading and studying the matter. I think the US will always be here....But there is no guarantee..nor even a very good CHANCE...that we'll go on forever as a world leader. What we'll have is a society rough, tough, lean, and harsh....with many more restrictions, and many freedoms lost which we now take for granted. We'll be a society of many "separate but equal" groups, each one determined to be 'itself'. We'll be very BIG on ethnic pride....but very WEAK on any national unity. And we'll be FORCED to 'get along' by higher authority, since it will by then be obvious that we are unable to 'get along' on our own.

Want just one example of a specific event? Look for the time (and it will be here VERY soon) when 'whites' are no longer a majority. At that time, I can guarantee that someone, somewhere, is going to 'jump on' this fact and begin to DEMAND consideration for whites to recieve status as a minority..and we'll either have to accomodate those demands (causing even MORE division than we had)..or we're going to have to come up with a pretty creative reason why we 'can't'. The result of this controversy, I'll leave to others to predict. But it WILL be a controversy, and just one of MANY.

Life ain't simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Blacks will suffer the worst from this. They only think White racism has been bad, wait until they see what the Asians and Latinos can dish out.
Funny, I've heard similar sentiments from Blacks at work. Interesting.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
This may sound radical, but it is possible that the country will actually be broken up into several new countries or pieces of the U.S. will be annexed to other countries.
No it not possible.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM

350 posts, read 653,496 times
Are people really so different from one another due to 'race' that they can even contemplate living in separate nations (although it is tempting to imagine the Southern fundamentalists in a country of their own )?

America is not an ethnically nor racially defined land. Being American has do to with believing in the same ideals and holding them dear, does it not?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Are people really so different from one another due to 'race' that they can even contemplate living in separate nations (although it is tempting to imagine the Southern fundamentalists in a country of their own )?

America is not an ethnically nor racially defined land. Being American has do to with believing in the same ideals and holding them dear, does it not?
That's the way it's supposed to be. If we can remember this once-obvious fact, we'll recover and improve. But many people today would argue with you. They'd say "This is America, and I don't HAVE to believe in 'the same' ideals or 'the same' ANYTHING.....and I don't HAVE to hold anything 'dear' if I don't WANT to". And those people are short-sighted, self-centered, and mistaken. And there are millions of them. Let's hope they don't prevail..but for now, they seem to be gaining.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 PM

126 posts, read 260,640 times
By 2042 I doubt "black" or "hispanic" or "asian" will be a very dominant ethnicity either. With so much cross-breeding, the color lines are truly blurring. There are millions of people who don't identify with the age old assumptions of race and ethnicity. We're going to see many who are just "multi-cultural". I'm Polish, Ukrainian and Italian. Yeah, my skin is white. But more importantly, I'm AMERICAN. Why can't people focus on that?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Default That is what the Romans thought also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
No it not possible.
Most Americans can't face the horrible reality that the U.S. may not exist in the future. I mean look around. Look at what happened to the Soviet Union. All empires eventually crumble. Why is the U.S. any different?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 AM

Default I have the book also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I was a great fan of the book "The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau. Fascinating read (though it's now several decades old), but it attempted to illustrate how the US is actually divided up into areas of similar culture and similar interests...it did NOT, as I recall, predict a true political 'meltdown".

I've been at this a long time, and it's a favorite interest of mine. And personally, I do not predict a division of the US into separate countries. "They" (the 'powers that be') I don't think, would ever allow this. PLUS the fact that the different components in our society are not divided up in any simple geographic way.

Sadly, though, what I DO predict (and have predicted for 20 years or so) is an increasingly divisive society, once multiculturalism reaches its full potential. At that time, we'll be divided socially and by sentiment, into several distinct and pretty much mutually-hostile groups, each group mainly concerned with getting 'its share', and jealously watching to make sure the 'others' don't pass it by. This, to me, is ENTIRELY predictable, hasw happened many times in many societies in the past, and, in fact, is already beginning to happen HERE...we just don't 'see it'.

As a result of our 'every man for his own group, and to hell with the others' mindset...and in the absence of any numerical 'majority' at all..we'll have no choice but to institute an ever-increasing list of laws and regulations under which we'll find ourselves living. MOST of these we'll willingly submit to, if that's what it takes to keep 'the other guy' in check....in much the same way homeowners will voluntarily submit to draconian "CC & R" neighborhood codes..they're restrictive and 'annoying as Hell"...but they DO keep the 'slobs' under control, and property values high. So we willingly accept them.

So that's my personal prediction, from decades of reading and studying the matter. I think the US will always be here....But there is no guarantee..nor even a very good CHANCE...that we'll go on forever as a world leader. What we'll have is a society rough, tough, lean, and harsh....with many more restrictions, and many freedoms lost which we now take for granted. We'll be a society of many "separate but equal" groups, each one determined to be 'itself'. We'll be very BIG on ethnic pride....but very WEAK on any national unity. And we'll be FORCED to 'get along' by higher authority, since it will by then be obvious that we are unable to 'get along' on our own.

Want just one example of a specific event? Look for the time (and it will be here VERY soon) when 'whites' are no longer a majority. At that time, I can guarantee that someone, somewhere, is going to 'jump on' this fact and begin to DEMAND consideration for whites to recieve status as a minority..and we'll either have to accomodate those demands (causing even MORE division than we had)..or we're going to have to come up with a pretty creative reason why we 'can't'. The result of this controversy, I'll leave to others to predict. But it WILL be a controversy, and just one of MANY.

Life ain't simple.

It is quite possible that the elites are employing the tactic of divide and conquer. By reducing the white population and reating a polygot society it will be easier to play one group off of another. This is the classic tactic of empires and not republics. It also means that our freedoms and rights will slowly be taken away.

As far as the country breaking-up, anything is possible.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 AM

Default We may become one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post

We are increasingly becoming a racially divided land. Even though we are a multicultural we are also highly segregated as well. Whites especially tend to leave areas that become too non-white and then settle in whiter areas.

Some current trends to watch for:

1. Whites leaving California for Idaho, Utah, Montana, Oregon
2. Whites leaving Texas for Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri
3. Whites leaving New York for Pennsylvania, and New England states
4. Blacks leaving California, mid-west and north-east for the south.
5. the south-west becoming increasingly Mexicanized.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 AM

146 posts, read 641,408 times
Default It is the quality of immigrants that is the issue

I do not think the average Black or White American is as concerned about the new immigrants taking over America in concept, but are worried about the quality of the new comers. In my neighborhood we have many people from Korea, China and Korea. They are model neighbors who are doing their best to learn english an adjust to the American way of life.

On the other hand we have many illegal aliens from south of the border who are likely illegal, living 15 people to a home and not learning english.

Instead of bringing us your poor, America needs to bring in the best the foreign countries have to offer. We do not need to import poverty. We have enough of that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies