Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 PM

4,893 posts, read 3,345,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
People in the US do die from hunger and exposure and unavailability to health care.
Yes, by world standards we are hgher than a lot (not all) of the world.

The US is number 1 in teen birth rates in the industrialized world:
Teenage pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second worst infant mortality rate in industrialized world:
U.S. has second worst newborn death rate in modern world, report says - CNN

Unfortunately, we believe our own PR.

For ford's sake, can't you read?
Facts are facts. They are facts, without your emotional diatribe where you hate those who criticize the US.
The US deserves criticism and needs improvement.
We have caused most of the problems we're dealing with today.
Great post. If this country is never criticized, how will it ever progress towards its true potential, especially in comparison to other advanced industrialized countries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
The lengths some will go and others will agree to make America look bad.

Now for honest reporting..........FAQ: Episode 29 – Dr. Amy Tuteur « SCIENCE-BASED PARENTING
Is it true that the United States has the second worst newborn death rate in the world?
It’s not true, and this is one of the things that has been used to confuse people and things have been said in a very misleading way. First of all, typically what people refer to when they talk about the US’s poor position is “infant mortality rate”. Now, infant mortality rate refers to deaths that are birth to one year. That’s a measure of pediatric care. It’s not a measure of obstetric care. According to the World Health Organization, the best measure of obstetric care is perinatal mortality, which is stillbirth plus deaths during labor, and up to 28 days of life. In fact, the Unites States has one of the best perinatal mortality rates in the world. The World Health Organization in their 2006 report shows that it has a lower perinatal mortality rate than Denmark, the United Kingdom, and even The Netherlands, which is the place where they have more home births than anywhere. So, it’s an incredibly misleading statement, and when it comes to obstetric care, the United States does very very well.
Has the US listed #178...........
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2091rank.html

This one has the US listed #46.........List of countries by infant mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be nice to know how many of these babies are from moms who smoke, who drink, who do drugs, who don't take care of their selves.
Personal responsibility goes along way and can make a healthier baby. America is not responsible for those who chose to do the above and their baby dies.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 PM

Location: Cornudas TX better known as Glory Land east of Paradise
120 posts, read 235,220 times
It is the same people who like to hate anything that is tried for the betterment of our country. They wonn't say or do anything positive. If everyone would stand up and pull togather we would not be the laughing stock of the world.

Bob

Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Has anyone else noticed how many people declare their hatred for America but yet continue to live here? And, you know, I would not care if they hated America and were willing to do something to offer change, but they just complain and try to sell us on the attributes of other, more "socially evolved" countries.

This is really no different than marriages that go bad...if it is that bad, LEAVE and start over where the grass is greener.

Just wondering if others noticed this trend.
I could say the same about 'confederate states' who revise the entire constitution in their minds to defend their worship of a single amendment, NRA demanding that all citizens be forced to carry a firearm no matter how incompetent/ unqualified they be as a condition of citizenship, and 'real americans' claiming to be anti communist god loving patriots witch hunting anyone who fails to agree with them on their holy crusade to annihilate political parties.

These never never land utopic versions of what America ought to be homogenized white & lockstep would be better expressed by forming another country elsewhere if their consistent behavior were the sole judge. They appear to have no intention of being fair, getting along, or doing what is in the greater interest of the nation. So, who do you say is the America hater? The ones that petition the law with reason and mean to 'win' on merits of a truthful debate, or the ones that mean to redefine the nation by disrupting order they can't dominate? Who are you implying is tearing America down when X is presenting constructive plans and Z is presenting a laundry list of complaints with zero constructive plans on the table? Matter of fact, Z's only plan is to systematically destruct. Nothing has gone right in America for 200yrs (except reagan) according to these 'real americans'.

If imperialism masquerading under the American constitution is a legit ideology I guess women ought to break all party lines and revise the rules of worldwide civilization to suit themselves since we are and have always been the majority of the planet. I'm thinking most women serious about their duty to citizenship are reasonable enough to see that as a grievous mistake; the historic guilt of men pursuing power for self promotion got us all in trouble and repeating that mistake through extremist feminism is only trading one brand of chauvanism for another.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM

202 posts, read 352,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romus View Post
I think you're wrong, the majority who criticize and complain are either the ones who have never been outside, or the ones who have been, but not for long

And ok, name one of those places with such greater quality of life... If you look closer, people there complain too... Take UK for instance...I've heard so much complaints from the english... THey mostly blame poles now.

In any case, no country's perfect. Everybody knows that.. But some are a lot better than others..Maybe those who come from poorer places actually realize that and value the things they've never had before, instead of whining all over the internet...
I disagree completely with your first point. I have known many who have lived abroad (moving from the USA) and have either, never come back, or have come back for a myriad of reasons (including myself) but wish to leave again. What do you define as not a long time? I lived and worked abroad for a year on several occasions.

But yes you are right on your other point about no country's perfect. Though I haven't seen anyone argue that some other place is 'perfect'; the argument might be that there are nicer places than America to live, that's an opinion and it does not mean that it is a truth for everyone.

And if I lived in England with that nasty weather, I too would complain.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Not so sure.
The English speaking crowd will detect your accent on the spot.
In other countries people may think you are British.
I know people from Wexford, their pronunciation is surprisingly similar to some Americans'. Similar vowels, quite different from British vowels.
It is quite easy to tell Americans apart from Brits because of pronunciation. I guess most people around the world can tell the difference.
Thinking about it, Canada would be the best place to move in terms of pronunciation

Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, let's be honest: Most wouldn't want to live like illegals, either. It's hard to own a home or build a nest egg or climb the ladder at all if you have to stay under the radar.
I like being out of the radar--and I'm a citizen here in America.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,918,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
All change is not good.
You must be referring to Hope and Change.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,918,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Look at places all over the world, there are many many great places to live...broaden that NARROW view.

Unless "We're Better Than Haiti" is the new American slogan
That's where Hope and Change has gotten us "We're Better Than Haiti"

Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I like being out of the radar--and I'm a citizen here in America.
Does that mean that Bradenton is the end of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies