Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
My profession is to analyze other people's work and upgrade it. Not destroy it, not throw it away, but upgrade or enhance it. Because I have to "change" things on occasion, I am often accused of not understanding or hating. My job is to take what is already good and make it the best it can be under current situations. I think sometimes that defensiveness translates a need for improvement into an assumption of hate.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Still no answer to .......

Can you give an example of these people who you say hate America?

Not one example of proof that someone has said "I hate America".

The idea that criticizing America equals hating America is the most assinine concept ever put forth. Is THAT what the OP means??

It would mean that loving America means putting your head down like a good little whipped puppy and going about your business without thinking or objecting to anything....which , of course, would rule out voting.

Voting is a form of objecting, of complaining about the status quo and wanting change. So if you vote then you must hate America according to the OP and SOME posters here.

Thank you saganista and Rathagos for some great posts.

Now let's sit back in our dotage and watch the 80's generation save the world

It's the hate words that get injected into post that projects the thought of hating America. If one would leave out 3rd grade insults they wouldn't give impressions they hate.

If the poll is remotely accurate (probably not) 10% of the people you might chat with on here certainly do hate America.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good point, Joe!....and even if there WAS a place with open borders, a country that claimed it 'couldn't stop' people from entering its space, who would RESPECT such a place anyway? Would you be tempted to spend good money to stay at a hotel, if the management warned you beforehand that it 'couldn't stop' passers-by and street people from entering the rooms at night, because it 'couldn't' lock the doors?
There is a major flaw though with a hotel comparison.

America was built on opportunity. Those in other countries without that opportunity come here and make a life for themselves.

The other side is how can we pay for that....hence the locking the doors.

Hopefully no one thinks allowing people to make a better life for themselves is spreading hate through America. Talk to people that were born elsewhere and struggled and moved here...even if they don't have glamor and gold they are free, they have food, they have shelter and they have countrymen that will die for them to have it.

If the choices were as easy as locking the door....

Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Many people who live outside America or other countries hate America because they are jealous of what America has achieved, it's great lifestyle and democracy. Must mean America is doing something right. Unfortunately the Americans moaning about America is becoming an everyday normal thing now. That is sad as America is still the greatest country in the world and with a few changes such as the Health System and the out of hand overseas spending, it would be damn near perfect.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 AM

350 posts, read 653,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Actually, they despise more than the administration. Most despise those that voted in this administration, you know, the majority of America.

As for what they do to change things, you overlooked the fact that they vote for laws in which OTHER PEOPLE to pay to change things. Most people want other people to do their work for them so that they can feel good. Just ask these faux-environmentalists.
For sure, I would not use the word 'despise'. Puzzlement is more like it. The progressives I know don't understand how working people could vote against their own interests - those of working poor, the working class and the middle class - by putting in right wing Republicans. And please remember, the both times W. was elected, it was by a slim margin - and the first election, he may not have 'won' at all.

Your second statement makes no sense. Cleaning the enviroment, as the example you give, benefits everyone in society, unless you would like to be breathing air polluted by Hg and other poisons, living on top of a toxic dump etc. etc.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So telling the truth, recognizing errors made, speaking out, means, to you, "they hate America".....that's just stupid.

To me, people with their head in the sand and blind obedience to, and adoration of, America, are more destructive than anyone who ALLEGEDLY hates America.

Get busy.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstratt View Post
I've got a little indigestion. If all of these have already been "put in place" then you shouldn't have any complaints about our current situation now should you.
Job's not done yet.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
Strictly answering the OP:

It takes money, quite a bit of it, paperwork, lawyers, time, IF one can find a country that will allow immigration without a ton of requirements, or if one can meet those requirements. It's not as simple as moving from California to Texas.... that might be a big part of why people don't "just leave"!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,409 times
Default Man up and Leave!!!

I agree!

I hear people talking trash about my country: Native and Foreign.

I tell them this leave. Go to where you believe it's better for you.

Every country in this planet has problems!!!

I love my country, that's why I stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I agree!

I hear people talking trash about my country: Native and Foreign.

I tell them this leave. Go to where you believe it's better for you.

Every country in this planet has problems!!!

I love my country, that's why I stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take PayPal!

$$$$$$$$$$$

(and for the record, I don't HATE America... but I'd still like to leave, even if only for a while... to see what else is out there!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies