Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times

Advertisements

FoxNews.com
Quote:
Some U.K. airlines, banks and department stores are coming under fire from a watchdog group that released a report on Thursday alleging the employers force sexist dress codes on female workers, the Daily Mail reported.
The umbrella group of unions in Britain, the Trades Union Council, says some employers are mandating women wear high heels, which it deems "inappropriate footwear" that leads to long-term foot and back problems.
"Heels may look glamorous on the catwalks and on Hollywood stars, but they're not appropriate day-to-day work wear," TUC General Secretary Brendan Barber said. "These dress codes, apart from being blatantly sexist, can lead to health problems."
The "Working Feet and Footwear" report claims a number of big companies make female employees wear slip-on or high heel shoes if their jobs require dealing with the public. The TUC declined to name the specific companies but said at least one department store as well as some airlines and city institutions are culprits.
"We were surprised how many times we found employers' dress codes did not permit the wearing of comfortable footwear," Barber said.
The Trades Union Council calls itself "the voice of Britain at work," according to its Web site. "With 58 affiliated unions representing nearly 7 million working people from all walks of life, we campaign for a fair deal at work and for social justice at home and abroad."
Don't the PC Police and the feminists have anything better to do? Like harass little old ladies for not having a NOW membership card! I know of many women that wear heels all day, even at home and have no complaints about their legs or back giving them problems. Now, I'm talking "reasonable" heels, not 4 or 5 inch stiletto heels, I don't understand how a woman doesn't fall off her ass in those heels! But a 2 or 3 inch heel, give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
FoxNews.com

Don't the PC Police and the feminists have anything better to do? Like harass little old ladies for not having a NOW membership card! I know of many women that wear heels all day, even at home and have no complaints about their legs or back giving them problems. Now, I'm talking "reasonable" heels, not 4 or 5 inch stiletto heels, I don't understand how a woman doesn't fall off her ass in those heels! But a 2 or 3 inch heel, give me a break!
It's different if you're on your feet all day, that's not fun! I can't believe some companies still require women to wear nylons. Now that's just archaic & they actually look ridiculous.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
It will screw up your feet if you are on your feet all day like a stewardess. It's medically proven.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
They should be able to wear whatever shoes they darn well please, as long as they are nice looking and clean.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM

194 posts, read 299,177 times
Quote:
Don't the PC Police and the feminists have anything better to do?
You really, really don't like the idea of women having rights, do you?

We get the point. You're a man's man, a big, bad Vietnam vet. You don't have to run down women every third post to show how manly you are.

But you know what? I bet we can find some heels your size, if you think they're so harmless.

*gets a newspaper so I won't be bored during your "combat books w/a 90 pound rucksack in the jungle" stories*

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Did the article say these people were forced into their jobs? Many jobs have uniforms and standards. I think they have a right to be heard about it if they want, but the employer can set a standard.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM

194 posts, read 299,177 times
Even if that standard has been proven to be medically unsafe? I thought that fell under OSHA violations.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I've never seen OSHA come out against high heels in a bank. If they do, then I support making them change the standard.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It's different if you're on your feet all day, that's not fun! I can't believe some companies still require women to wear nylons. Now that's just archaic & they actually look ridiculous.
Being a guy, I prefer not to wear heels all day! But I can tell you that many women, especially on the news channels, could benefit from the use of hosiery! I have better looking legs, and I'm 61 years old! When a woman is an "on air" personality, she has to look the part, not like she just schlepped in for the job!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Being a guy, I prefer not to wear heels all day! But I can tell you that many women, especially on the news channels, could benefit from the use of hosiery! I have better looking legs, and I'm 61 years old! When a woman is an "on air" personality, she has to look the part, not like she just schlepped in for the job!
Nylons make your legs look fake, it's so unattractive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies