Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
II also don't think that we should ignore the fact that there are people who want to hurt America who are indeed American citizens.
It's not a zero sum game. Doing one thing doesn't mean not doing something else. Of course, when we do take sensible steps to do things like monitor calls from foreign nationals suspected of terrorism into or out of the US, the usual suspects come out of the woodwork in protest.

I agree, we need to investigate any security threat and treat any possible threat as serious. However, at a specific checkpoint like at an airport, we need to stop playing this game that we will blindly screen every 5th person (or whatever) to be politically correct, when we may be ignoring threats and wasting time with non-threats. We need to acknowledge that an 85 year old woman from North Dakota isn't the same as a 22 year old man from Saudi Arabia.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,315,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Pro abortion but anti death penalty

Anti cigarette but support pot smoking

Hates America but refuses to leave

Hates racial profilling but loves affermative action

Michael Savage was right...liberalism is a mental disorder!
The death penalty really accomplishes nothing.

considering the deaths brought on by tobacco vs the deaths brought on by pot, it's somewhat reasonable to see. I however have no problem with cigarettes and I am always being labeled as a liberal.

I don't see why I should have to leave. I don't really hate america, I just don't approve of a lot of the things that are done here. Isn't it my right to move to action if I see something wrong?

I can agree with the last one, affirmative action didn't accomplish much.

Now If you want to talk about twisted logic, There are some who want low taxes, but good roads and education. They don't want to spend a nickel on welfare, but they will happily spend trillions on a war that accomplishes hardly anything.

If you want to lament about how liberals want to do things, consider that the right has had its way for about 8 years now and we are doing just great. The left isn't the only side with issues, remember, the bird can't fly without both wings.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,315,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It's not a zero sum game. Doing one thing doesn't mean not doing something else. Of course, when we do take sensible steps to do things like monitor calls from foreign nationals suspected of terrorism into or out of the US, the usual suspects come out of the woodwork in protest.

I agree, we need to investigate any security threat and treat any possible threat as serious. However, at a specific checkpoint like at an airport, we need to stop playing this game that we will blindly screen every 5th person (or whatever) to be politically correct, when we may be ignoring threats and wasting time with non-threats. We need to acknowledge that an 85 year old woman from North Dakota isn't the same as a 22 year old man from Saudi Arabia.
we certainly have taken very reasonable steps...

Can you tell the difference between a man from Saudi Arabia and one from say Pakistan? What about someone from Syria vs someone from Egypt? How about someone from Portugal vs someone from Iran?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM

23,451 posts, read 23,787,846 times
Now hang on just a second here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of evolution, so they invent their own alternative pseudo-science where those implications do not exist.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of the widespread rejection of religious dogma concerning abortion and homosexuality, so guess what...they manufacture their own pseudo-science that pretends to support the dogma.
As one who's constantly being labeled as "conservative" in forums such as these, I have to call shenanigans on these two. You're claiming that ALL "conservatives" are also religious zealots. That is not the case.

Quote:
-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of rapidly expanding income inequalities, so they invent myths about poor decision making and personal responsibility that seek to place all the blame on the victims.
Myths? Like the myth that the current foreclosure situation was caused by people buying loans they couldn't afford on properties that are only worth half of the sale price? Yeah, that's a myth...

Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
we certainly have taken very reasonable steps...

Can you tell the difference between a man from Saudi Arabia and one from say Pakistan? What about someone from Syria vs someone from Egypt? How about someone from Portugal vs someone from Iran?
Sure can...it's called a passport. You normally have to have one when you pass through an airport checkpoint as a foreign national. Geez...common sense here people.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Myths? Like the myth that the current foreclosure situation was caused by people buying loans they couldn't afford on properties that are only worth half of the sale price? Yeah, that's a myth...
Yeah, beautiful point. Nothing gets me wilder than these idiots who imply or come right out and say that it's the bank's or someone else's fault that they bought a house they couldn't afford with a loan that made no sense. Before you buy a house...hire an agent...hire a lawyer...go to a banker you trust...read the paperwork yourself...do research. Oh...and start out by paying your bills on time in the first place and only buying what you can afford, so your credit won't be in the toilet when you go to buy a house.

There were some so-called "civil rights" protesters here in Atlanta at the Fulton County Courthouse protesting the evil doers who tricked and forced minorities to buy homes that were later foreclosed upon. The implication here is that minorities are somehow unfairly targeted by these evil doers. It's just more of the same victim mentality, where nothing is your fault, you have no responsibility for the choices and decisions you make, and there is always the government there to bail you out with other people's money.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:11 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,559,699 times
Tell me, what kills more people every day?

1. 2nd hand smoke from cigarettes
2. Carbon Monoxide from vehicle emissions
3. Drunk driving fatalities

can you answer?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,743,484 times
Thats pretty much what all the MSM says about conservatives. Where have you been? and as far as the whole "pro choice" thing, i consider it murder when you allow the choice of life and death to be given to any woman who is pregnant whether they are competent to make that choice or not.

So you agree it's okay to let the mother die to save a child, who may also be sick? I'm not for abortion and I don't believe the majority of liberals are, but what happens in situations like that. I don't think we should always have a cut and dry argument for issues like that, sometimes you have to make special exceptions.

Thats pure discrimination. Remeber how Blacks were once forced to sit in the back of the bus? how is that any different from telling smokers they are not allowed to smoke?

Problem with your logic here is blacks didn't create second hand smoke, that has been proven to cause health risk, nice try though with your logic there, lol.

Sure...keep thinking that. Its important to Americas enemies to show an ununited country, gives them that extra spark to keep on fighting

So what's the other option? Be like sheep and never question our leadership. They tried that in Nazi Germany, but that didn't turn out to well now did it?

reverse racism

Is that all you have to say for that? We wouldn't have "reverse racism" if we never had racism in this country. Like I said before, not all liberals agree on this, I even have mixed feelings about it, but I told you before why AA and a lot of the anti-discrimination laws were enacted, and an example of covert racism (the study with the white names versus black names), where we may still need AA.

I cant imagine why...you yourself said people with opposing views are good for America

They are, but you start losing creditability when you start telling people to "get aids and die" and calling people names when you disagree with them. You can make a point without throwing insults, like Michael Savage does. Ron Paul is a traditional conservative that I respect, who instead of saying "liberals hate America", will state his viewpoints and give examples of why they maybe benefitial for the country, without insulting different viewpoints.

Then get your hearing checked. America was founded on Sedition? As I recall, None of our founding fathers whent over to Europe and told them we are racist imperialists who have caused world misery. But I guess since Clinton and Kerry did it, its ok huh?

What are you talking about? If you are talking about during the 60s and 70s, then yes, we were racist. Heard of Jim Crow?

Because its wastefull spending

Yeah sure it's wasteful... How about tell that to the millions and millons of people who ride transit daily and the millions more who are quickly dumping their cars for transit due to rising gas prices. Those nice scenic mountains and beaches that you go to, thank environmental protection laws that have kept those areas enjoyable for everyone.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,032,055 times
Default The twisted logic of "conservatives

Pro death penalty but anti abortion

Anti pot smoking but supports cigarette

Hates America but refuses to leave

Hates affermative (sic) action but loves racial profilling

Wears flag pins made in china but never served

"Conservative" but runs budget busting deficits

Anti-gay marriage but hits on men in public washrooms

Condemns Russia for invading Georgia but gratuitously invades Iraq

Calls others PC but constantly whines about criticism in the press

Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

I can agree with the last one, affirmative action didn't accomplish much.
"Presiding over an assembly of 60 mostly white editors in a law school classroom, Obama listened to impassioned pleas and pressed conservatives to explain their reasoning and liberals to sharpen their thinking. But he never spoke about his own point of view or mentioned that he believed he had benefit ed from affirmative action."

At Harvard Law, a unifying voice - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies