Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Why bother at this point? That's my motto when dealing with Nonsense.
Yeah, you have a point. And not just with respect to Nonsense...

Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Still waiting for a list of magnificient
secularistic countries that have enriched
the brotherhood of man.
Sound of crickets

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Naw, I was there. The warm-up band wasn't much, though...
I'd be happy to hear your take on it. Come on, tell us
what you learned.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Sound of crickets

from Wikipedia:

In political terms, secularism is a movement towards the separation of religion and government (often termed the separation of church and state). This can refer to reducing ties between a government and a state religion, replacing laws based on scripture (such as the Torah and Sharia law) with civil laws, and eliminating discrimination on the basis of religion. This is said to add to democracy by protecting the rights of religious minorities.

From me: The United States of America, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands. France. I'm sure there's more.

What you people want is the radical christianist version of Iran, run by mullahs like James Dobson. Just admit it. This country was NOT founded as a christian country. If anything, it was founded as a deist or unitarian country, but even that's debatable.

Edit: in the interest of not getting any more infractions, I think Wikipedia is free content.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
from Wikipedia:

In political terms, secularism is a movement towards the separation of religion and government (often termed the separation of church and state). This can refer to reducing ties between a government and a state religion, replacing laws based on scripture (such as the Torah and Sharia law) with civil laws, and eliminating discrimination on the basis of religion. This is said to add to democracy by protecting the rights of religious minorities.

From me: The United States of America, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands. France. I'm sure there's more.

What you people want is the radical christianist version of Iran, run by mullahs like James Dobson. Just admit it. This country was NOT founded as a christian country. If anything, it was founded as a deist or unitarian country, but even that's debatable.

Edit: in the interest of not getting any more infractions, I think Wikipedia is free content.
Please show where Wikipedia defines them as secularistic by your definition. Nice try.
You have absolutely no idea what i want and to assume you do is radicalism
on steroids, but standard behavior for the progressives who want to ram their
twisted philosophy down everyones throat and then try to act like its the opposing view that is intolerant. Not even a nice try - quite lame, in fact.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Please show where Wikipedia defines them as secularistic by your definition. Nice try.
You have absolutely no idea what i want and to assume you do is radicalism
on steroids, but standard behavior for the progressives who want to ram their
twisted philosophy down everyones throat and then try to act like its the opposing view that is intolerant. Not even a nice try - quite lame, in fact.
This is pretty incoherent, since I've never claimed to be a progressive, which is just another term for liberal. The definition of secularism that I offered fits the countries I listed to a tee.

My twisted philosophy: Humans have the individual right to: own guns, use the psychoactive substance of their choice (including alcohol which is one of the absolute worst), remove an unthinking mass of tissue from their body before it grows into a serious problem, marry WHOMEVER they want, if only for the legal benefits offered to heterosexual couples, worship whatever they consider a "god", live their lives free from government interference as long as they are physically harming no one, etc.

I should be locked up.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM

The difference between conservatives and liberals is that conservatives want to aggressively control people's lives and liberals want to passively control people's lives. Can ANY so-called conservative tell me how gay marriage threatens their way of life? Or pot-smoking? Or flag-burning?

Today's gay marriage opponent is yesterday's interracial marriage opponent. There's probably someone reading this who is old enough to know it's true, not that they'd be intellectually honest enough to even admit it to themselves.

It's the way of the world. Social conservatism is slowly dying. Shouldn't take more than another half-century.

Edit- I can't wait to watch that world kill you off. Kind of like the dwindling people who react with disgust to interracial couples, or even interracial drinking fountains. Wait until homosexuality is so accepted (it's getting there) that we have a gay president. There will be a conservative ghetto in Kansas or somewhere and you can all comfort each other.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
This is pretty incoherent, since I've never claimed to be a progressive, which is just another term for liberal. The definition of secularism that I offered fits the countries I listed to a tee.

My twisted philosophy: Humans have the individual right to: own guns, use the psychoactive substance of their choice (including alcohol which is one of the absolute worst), remove an unthinking mass of tissue from their body before it grows into a serious problem, marry WHOMEVER they want, if only for the legal benefits offered to heterosexual couples, worship whatever they consider a "god", live their lives free from government interference as long as they are physically harming no one, etc.

I should be locked up.
I agree on all those freedoms. My point goes to the your last example where a
country prevents religious practice. You even cited it in a previous post -Communist Russia. Even China recognized thast removal of religion thwarts
a unified society that is why they dumped Mao and tolerated Lao Tse.
Your replies are a little incoherent to me sometimes but that goes with communication, I guess

Old 09-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I agree on all those freedoms. My point goes to the your last example where a
country prevents religious practice. You even cited it in a previous post -Communist Russia. Even China recognized thast removal of religion thwarts
a unified society that is why they dumped Mao and tolerated Lao Tse.
Your replies are a little incoherent to me sometimes but that goes with communication, I guess
And I noted in that post that there's a big difference between a country being officially secular and one actually banning religion. This is an officially secular country, despite the occasional proto-fascist slipping an "under god" into the absolutely useless pledge of allegiance.

Edit: this country does NOT and never has prevented religious practice. The crying of the world's largest cult (and one of the most murderous in history, ask a pagan if you can find one) about "persecution" never gets old, apparently.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Why can't christians and muslims get it through their heads that this government is by the people for all the people. You CANNOT have state-sanctioned religion. You can't. Give it up. Move to Israel. It's supposedly the Promised Land.

I'm sure the hindus would be more of a problem here if there were more of them, but it seems like it's the usual suspects of judeo-christianity and islam. Good old monotheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies